Re: slopes & what came first, the chicken or the egg?

  • tiakd14477 <sentree@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
      Emilia, thanks for letting me know about the hemisphere information.
      I was finding it a bit confusing, but now I understand.
      I actually haven't come across a single person here who has
      been uninterested in your suggestions on alfalfa, they just were
      trying to understand how it worked. Your explanations make complete
      sense now. I had been wondering if the cuttings after the alfalfa
      flowered were depleting the plants of something, and you helped me
      to understand with your explanation of "energy sap". Now I
      understand why everybody here has to re-plant every 3-5 years when
      they farm conventionally.
      Re. comfrey. I have read over and over how if you plant
      comfrey, it goes crazy and can't be contained and actually becomes a
      weed. I want to plant a fair bit for supplementing the animal's
      diets, and for use in the garden, but am hesitant on where to plant
      because of the warnings. Any comments? I have a few other "pesky
      weeds" that the animals enjoy and haven't gone rampant yet, but no
      experience with comfrey. I'm going to have to start doing some more
      research on it.
      Re. raised beds. Out of curiosity, how wide are your paths? How
      far down did you dig the soil in the paths to apply it to the beds:
      just the topsoil level? Do your 5 foot beds account for the sloping
      sides, or do you have 5 feet of top and then the sides slope? You
      don't find 5 feet is hard to work with? Everybody recommends 3-4 and
      I did four, though if I am making slanting sides, 5 might be better.
      When you mention planting lettuces etc to the sides of the bed, am I
      right in thinking you are planting in the pyramid slope? Or is that
      just mulched?
      Do you have any objections to bringing in some soil/compost/manure
      from elsewhere on the property to raise the beds up? And if somebody
      is making new beds on existing sod, do you recommend bringing in
      just soil or a mix of soil, manures, compost etc?
      Does anybody find it matters which direction the beds are planted -
      ie. east west vs. north/south?
      Does anybody here have all Bill Mollison's books? Do you think they
      are all helpful? I'm just trying to determine whether or not I want
      to purchase permaculture 1 and 2 and would love anybody's input on
      it.
      And if anybody wishes me to, I will take my questions to Emilia
      privately and not use the list, if some of the questions are not on-
      topic.
      Thanks
      Heather