Re: [fukuoka_farming] the new poll

  • Sean Phelan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      > this new poll sounds suspicious to me too.
      It shouldn't sound suspicious.

      Larry has control of both names, and can use whichever he prefers.

      From a usability and "rememberability" standpoint, you can obviously guess
      my opinion on which one is preferred, but I set up the poll to invite others
      to share their opinions.

      Sp
      Sean Phelan
      Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense... Solutions that
      work.
      http://www.sqcn.com
      mailto:SPhelan@...
      http://www.TheSCIA.Org - Proud Member of the Space Coast Internet Alliance
      (321) 984-0211
    • jamie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        Hello everyone, I wonder if Sean would clarify his company's intentions
        regarding http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org and why he felt the need to
        construct a poll? I'd particularly like to know the marketing startegy of
        his company and their intentions regarding the domain name.

        What I do know is that Larry has written and published the entire
        http://www.FukuokaFarmingOL.net himself in liaison with this group and has
        demanded nothing more than our agreement and involvement with this large
        endeavour.

        In a direct appeal to every member of this group I ask whether the
        underlying ideals of Fukuoka and Natural Farming have anything to do with
        commercial opportunism?

        Jamie
        Souscayrous

        > this new poll sounds suspicious to me too.
        It shouldn't sound suspicious.

        Larry has control of both names, and can use whichever he prefers.

        From a usability and "rememberability" standpoint, you can obviously guess

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
          > In a direct appeal to every member of this group I
          > ask whether the
          > underlying ideals of Fukuoka and Natural Farming
          > have anything to do with
          > commercial opportunism?

          Commercial opportunism has nothing to do with this.

          Like I said:
          >> Larry has control of both names,
          >> and can use whichever he prefers.

          "Control" means "ownership" - Sequoia has relinquished all claims to that
          URL (as of 12/18/2002), all Larry has to do is take it by transferring the
          domain with any registrar.

          The reasons I set up the poll are 2-fold:
          1) I think the name is better, and the group should use it. Sequoia/Sean
          doesn't benefit from the URL in any financial/commercial way (nor have we up
          until now).
          2) The idea that I spent my effort setting up this mirror in the first
          place, only to see the name discarded and myself accused of being a
          "corporate opportunist" is bit insulting.

          I'd prefer to remember our efforts as being appreciated.

          Sp

          Sean Phelan
          Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense... Solutions that
          work.
          http://www.sqcn.com
          mailto:SPhelan@...
          http://www.TheSCIA.Org - Proud Member of the Space Coast Internet Alliance
          (321) 984-0211
        • Robert Monie
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
            Hi Jamie, Emilia, and All,

            I also see no reason why we should be asked to vote on Larry's choice of name for the Fukuoka website. Larry has always sought our comments on the website and has responded directly to our suggestions and inquiries. If any members of the group had objections or comments about the web title, I should think they would have already relayed them to Larry and he would have responded.

            As a general principle, any matter put up for vote should have been under discussion for some time. As conflicting opinions are posted on the matter, it then rises to the level of an "issue" that can possibly be decided by vote. But, there has been no discussion of the mneumonics or suitability of the site name here, so how did this matter suddenly, out of the blue, become an "issue" ? I think it is most likely not an issue and therefore should not be presented on a "poll."

            Under the circumstances the person requesting the poll should submit an explanation of why he considers this an issue.

            Bob Monie, South Louisiana

            jamie <jamie@...> wrote:
            Hello everyone, I wonder if Sean would clarify his company's intentions
            regarding http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org and why he felt the need to
            construct a poll? I'd particularly like to know the marketing startegy of
            his company and their intentions regarding the domain name.

            What I do know is that Larry has written and published the entire
            http://www.FukuokaFarmingOL.net himself in liaison with this group and has
            demanded nothing more than our agreement and involvement with this large
            endeavour.

            In a direct appeal to every member of this group I ask whether the
            underlying ideals of Fukuoka and Natural Farming have anything to do with
            commercial opportunism?

            Jamie
            Souscayrous

            > this new poll sounds suspicious to me too.
            It shouldn't sound suspicious.

            Larry has control of both names, and can use whichever he prefers.

            From a usability and "rememberability" standpoint, you can obviously guess
            my opinion on which one is preferred, but I set up the poll to invite others
            to share their opinions.

            Sp
            Sean Phelan
            Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense... Solutions that
            work.
            http://www.sqcn.com
            mailto:SPhelan@...
            http://www.TheSCIA.Org - Proud Member of the Space Coast Internet Alliance
            (321) 984-0211

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Beatrice Gilboa
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
              I'm suscribing my name at what Bob is saying here.
              (thanks Bob to give me the good words <g> )

              Best wishes to all of you

              Beatrice
              Israël