Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: how do you teach these concepts . . .

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      Welcome to the discussion, Dave & Amy,

      A nifty book from Klutz Press, 2121 Staunton Court, Palo Alto, CA
      94306, called Earthsearch, A Kid's Geography Museum in a Book has
      hands-on appeal to the older elementary or younger middle school
      group. The cover notes that it includes "Activities in Trash Science,
      Population, Rocks, Astronomy, Real Eating, Getting Lost, & lots of
      other things, too." Several of the activities are appropriately
      eye-opening, but one is noted below.

      An activity called Cut Up the World is an impressively simple way to
      gain a proportional taste of the necessity for sustainable
      agriculture. With a recommendation to check out or purchase the book,
      here is a quote, fully credited to the above cited work, although the
      book uses photos to illustrate where I have used words:

      Cut an apple into quarters.

      Put aside three of the quarters. What do these represent? The
      oceans of our world, the Blue Planet.

      The fraction left is 1/4th. Slice it in half. Set aside one of
      the halves. This is the part that people can't live or work on. The
      poles, deserts, swamps, high mountains, etc.

      What's left? 1/8th. This is where the humans live, but not
      necessarily where they grow their food.

      Slice your 1/8th piece into four sections. Put aside three of
      them. What's left? 1/32nd.

      The three pieces you set aside represent the places where the soil
      is too poor to farm - where it's too rocky, wet, cold or steep to
      produce food. They also represent the cities, houses, highways,
      shopping malls, schools, parks, factories, parking lots and miniature
      golf courses where people live, play and work - but do not grow any
      food.

      Take your 1/32nd piece that's left. Carefully peel it. Look at
      this scrap of apple peel. It represents the farmable surface topsoil
      of the planet, the thin skin of the thin skin of the Earth's crust,
      upon which humankind totally depends. It is less than 5 feet deep and
      it is quite a fixed amount of food-producing land.

      You may now eat the rest of the apple, but carefully save this
      tiny piece of apple skin. Treat it as if you life depends on it.

      Best wishes for your class, & for your new year,
      Napi