Re: RE : [fukuoka_farming] On Pests, Weeds And Terrorists: Weaving Harmony Through Diversity

  • donald davidson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
      I did not intend to present cynicism. I don't regard
      that emotion in any positive way. It seems one of the
      biggest hindrances to real social change in the
      United States.
      What I was saying is that there are problems with
      locating the world's problems within the vices and
      weaknesses of individuals. This denies that
      individuals are created in society. For instance, we
      might say that Americans are materialistic. But we
      also have to add that this superficiality exists at
      least in part because we live in a world saturated
      with propaganda.
      Perhaps you interpret as cynicism my fear of the
      controlling power system. I admit I am not overly
      optimistic about the path of our species. Multitudes
      of people turning to natural farming would give me
      hope. As you indicate, this would take lots of
      learning and teaching. But to me there are bigger
      obstacles, one of which is the legitimacy of absentee
      ownership. Another is the advance of biotechnology.
      I do not believe that most people have any real
      choice in the form of life that is dealt to them.
      Perhaps this is less true the further up the economic
      ladder one climbs, as your reference to speedboats
      points out.
      As to this list, I am very excited to read the
      threads of so many vibrant minds in so many countries.
      Problems are global and so are solutions. I am amazed
      to see others as excited by ladino clover and
      calendula as me.

      tennessee

      --- Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@...> wrote:

      > But you see.........that is what draws us to
      > Fukuoka. We are seeking something we know is
      > better. We look around us and are dissatisfied.
      > And........if we were not seeing in Fukuoka what
      > looked better.........looked right........felt
      > right.....we would go to something else.
      >
      > You can be cynical in Tennessee.........or you can
      > be optimistic because of the people on this list
      > from around the world. As long as there are people
      > seeking to improve.....and in the case of this list
      > to educate as many others as we can....there is
      > reason for optimism. Over and over, as you
      > yourself pointed out, we are seeing example after
      > example of projects all over that are changing
      > things....however slowly. And.........no government
      > can stop that completely.
      >
      > It is an individual's choice to live in a certain
      > place to earn a certain income in a concrete bunker,
      > as you called them, that faces away from the sun.
      > If an individual wishes to give up a better way to
      > live in order to have two luxury cars in their
      > garage.......and a speedboat for the
      > weekends.......to live like that.......it is their
      > choice. No government has forced them to do so.
      >
      > Here in Texas I have read that people now are
      > willing to drive 3 hours or more each way to work to
      > live in the country. I am sure it is happening
      > elsewhere. There is hope........as long as people
      > care to try to make the world a better place.
      > Politics will not contain it.
      >
      > Gloria

      > removed]

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Gloria Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
        The world has always been full of propaganda. It may always be. It is how leaders make a populace behave in a manner to achieve their goals. Yet the world advanced anyway because of folks like you who recognize it for what it is.

        It has been pointed out here quite often recently that ancient farming practices did much harm to the land. They didn't really want to do that. It was their ignorance that did it. My point here is that in this world today more people are more educated which gives them the interest to seek more........to find out why things don't work.......or why they don't work as it is perceived they should. Fukuoka has pointed out that by trying to do "more" modern science....and agronomists....are doing more damage. Simplicity is sometimes very difficult to accept. Even in this forum we would often most likely make Mr. Fukuoka shake his head. We now have this built-in behaviour to make things better by making them more complicated. I relate to this every time I see a discussion about compost piles.....how to make compost. I tried that. I discovered on my own that I had better results by sheet composting........for more reasons than one might think. In sheet composting one is not only feeding the soil as it breaks down. One is also feeding the wildlife that could benefit from say......the kitchen scraps. One is also helping the birds by spreading crushed eggshells that they need for calcium. In this way one is acting more like Nature because these same critters' manure becomes a part of the ecosystem improving it once again. And........they will most likely be spreading seeds as they go. It is a much better plan than making a compost pile and lining it with say...chicken wire........to prevent wildlife from getting into it. People today seem to like the complications of compost piles more than the simplicity of sheet composting. Yet.....often people abandon composting because it is too much work.

        It is the same in life. Folks complain about the traffic, the stress, etc, of living in cities, but they do it anyway. They do it because they figure they want this and that...and they can't have it living more simply. They know ahead of time if they choose to be a lawyer that they will make more money in a big city. They want to make more money because they want more things. Things make a life more complicated......right? It is kind of like the comedian, George Carlin's monolog when he discusses our need to have "things," so we build a building to put our things in.......and then we have to build a bigger place to put our things in....and it never ends.

        Well....I am rambling on and on here.........Sorry folks.

        Gloria

      • jbmc@attglobal.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
          Ms.Catherine Dionisi wrote:

          > I agree with you, Mirabile, on the fact that our neuro-physiologies are
          > the root causes.
          > What remedies do you suggest ?

          * * * * * * *

          In a nutshell, Ms. Dionisi, i simply suggest that we
          trace
          our steps back "into" the Garden, that is, "out" of Civilization. For the
          Garden and Civilization are incompatible, that is, mutually exclusive.

          Civilization is, de facto, the House of our physio-neuro-

          logical and psycological dysfunctions, all produced and sustained,
          focally, by our dietetic perversion.

          Unquestionably, natural gardening - not "natural
          farming"
          which constitutes an absurdity in terms - is, particularly when practi-
          ced at the congenial latitude, the most ideal "inactivity" through which
          we can journey back to our Garden. To be understood, however,
          that it will leave us exactly where we are, that is, lost in the middle of

          the nowhere of Civilization, as long as we do not seriously address,
          and bring to solution, our dietetic issue.

          No functional Society will ever be produced by dysfunc-

          tional individuals. Nor functional individuals will ever be produced
          by dysfunctional physio-neurologies. The pristime, harmonious
          functionality of our Beings inesorably lies in the strict adherence to
          the dietary Nature meant for us.

          > Have a happy new year !
          > Catherine Dionisi.

          The same to You, Ms. Dionisi! And to all Members
          of this Forun as well.

          jb
          Mirabile-caruso.