Re: [fukuoka_farming] paper mulch

  • emilia
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2002
      larry & all, concerning print paper & carboard as mulch...i've been trusting the studies done p.r. goodrich of the dept. of agricultural engineering of the university of minnesota & b.d. backus & all: (article in "biological wastes 24(2),81-94) with the conclusion:
      "you'd have to put 100 pounds of paper per 1000 square feet annually for more than 50 years to reach the limit set by minnesota for zinc accumulation in soil. much heavier applications of mulch would be needed to reach the limits set for accumulations of other metals..."
      that refers to western's newsprints without glazed colors, as most cheap inks today are made out of soybeans...but if u are going to put some of that underground: rather than chopping it, etc. crumble it (& pee on it) before burying it...that will give some air & nitrogen to get him quickly integrated...earthworms just love paper/cardboard!
      & for the paths: sawdust (from true wood, not plywood) is the best material to put on them: it's pleasant to walk on it & the soil under won't suffer compaction & when thick it won't let much "weeds" come through & after a year when it's all dark (& composted) it can be put as mulch on the beds & start with a fresh batch on the paths...
      concerning root behaviour on humid tropics...u wouldn't want seeds from plants with that tendency if u are in any dry-air climate... they would require constant watering & even then they would not grow well! so what can be an asset in one place may be a hazzle in another...
      ngo's...by the time i came back from a humanitarian project in africa i had reconsidered ngo's real existence: be them smaller or bigger...the ones i came accross had all one may concern: how to keep getting subsidies, etc so as to get the salaries from the staff going...the actual money (& time) liberated for projects i'm even afraid to propose a % of what was coming in!
      & when i see how much poverty & misery exits in some areas of the so-called rich countries, i always wonder why there is more attraction for getting involved in exotic far away projects than the ones that could be started in one's own hometown, or the nearest reservation...
      emilia
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
        Don't believe studies, especially those funded by corporations, which, sadly,
        most governments effectively are.

        Does paper break down nicely for you? How does mulching with paper fit into
        non-invasive farming ideals?

        They say you can feed shredded newspaper to livestock for roughage. I've yet
        tomeet the animal that will eat it.