Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 331

  • Justin .
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2002
      >From: ulrike@...
      >To Justine,
      >
      >I read an article some time ago on the violent behavior of Elephants in
      >Africa. They were attacking rhinoceroses and as scientists found out
      >these elephants had been living with rhinos after their families had
      >been slaughtered by people when they where still small children.
      >Violence started with adolescence when they wanted to mate with the
      >rhinos who didn't agree to that. But on the whole it seemed to have been
      >transformed by their violent experience into a violent behavior pattern
      >themselves. I guess it is not different from what we already know from
      >pets, especially dogs.

      To think that all violence in animals is due to human influences is, would
      in my opinion be incorrect. To take the chimps as an example, there were
      studies done by Jane Goodall, who provided wild chimps with bananas. After
      some time, they formed the main part of the chimps diet. After a very long
      time, she then stopped the provisions, and a few years later, the chimps
      began to make war.
      A scientist called Ghiglieri, convinced that the wars were due to human
      influence, went to study unprovisioned chimps in Kibale for several years.
      He soon became convinced that he had been wrong. His conclusion was that
      chimps are subject to periodic outbreaks of war, with or without a human
      lending hand.
      Justin.