Nature's cultivation

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2014
      Please find some photos of paddy which is growing on the sides of the National Highway - 47. It is growing very strong and yielding good, even though there is no standing water..but rain has been good this time. Not sure about the variety, has collected a few seeds from it, wanted to try it out. Wanted to see if the next generation also can grow without much water.

      Regards,
      Nandan
    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22, 2014
        Dear Nandan,
        You are a lucky man to have come across that rice. No matter what variety it is I humbly think that if it grows there near your place then it is the best variety for your health. Fukuoka said the most nourishing foods are those that grow nearest you.
        May I suggest not to put fresh slurry next time. I was listening to this French podcast -- I live in France -- one sleepy morning and the guest professor  said that applying wet farm waste on fields is a common mistake French farmers commit. Wet waste kills precious life. The same professor said applying wood ash, lime, etc. is not the way to balance soil ph. I missed most of his lecture, but a French expert talking on French radio like he did is a rare occurence owing to the fact that French agriculture is mostly modern agriculture. There he was exhorting listeners to let nature be.
        Best regards,
        ruthie

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 24, 2014
          Thanks Ruthie. May be heat generated with cowdung slurry kills soil life, probably if it is diluted to right proportion it may be OK