Cover crop update

  • p_k_nandanan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2014

      Hi,

      I am continuing with cover crop experiments...Desmodium Scorpiurus and Araches Pintoi

      seems to be good for rice, so started growing them separately.

      See some phots and updates here.. My Experiments With Farming

      Regards,

      Nandan

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2014
        Dear Nandan,
        Thank you very much for posting.
        In France where I live I am very far from any reference to Fukuoka tropical farming. I really enjoy your informative updates about your farm.
        My husband is nearing his much-awaited retirement and by early next year we hope to be moving to one of the islands in the Philippines.
        I am in the process of purchasing a small rice field about a quarter acre in size. It is situated in the middle of other rice fields with a common water source. However since in the Philippines the practice is plowing and weeding and continuous flooding, once a year rice farmers there apply some kind of chemical in the fields and the water flows to the sea and kills fishes that happen to be near the seashore. I have not inquired what kind of chemical it is. Fortunately farmers are poor and  they do it only once a year. Since I know nothing on rice cultivation then I do not know if I can isolate my patch from the other rice fields.
        I know that it is rather crazy to want to start rice farming while having been raised in the city, but I have a firm belief in Fukuoka's teachings and the power of Nature to grow and bear.
        Do wish me luck. It goes without saying that I wish the same to you.
        I also have a small coconut patch but being directly on the beach only a few bananas and papayas grow there, the lone mango tree has stopped bearing a long time ago. There are a few pineapples but one really needs to wait a long time to taste a small (but sweet) fruit.
        By the way, do you know of a method to stabilize coconut flower nectar so that it does not turn to vinegar in a matter of hours?
        Best regards and more power to you,
        Greetings to my fellow Fukuoka-farming group members.
        ruthie

        Hi,

        I am continuing with cover crop experiments...Desmodium Scorpiurus and Araches Pintoi

        seems to be good for rice, so started growing them separately.

        See some phots and updates here.. My Experiments With Farming

        My Experiments With Farming
        Summer is very hot this year at 40 degree centigrade.
        Preview by Yahoo

        Regards,

        Nandan

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18, 2014
          Thanks Ruthie for the response.

          Nice to hear that you will be doing rice cultivation in the near future.Fields situated in the middle has advantages like bird attack will get divided, hopefully pest attack also will be less.

          There are some people here who has done wonderful forest creation in sandy soils by planting as many trees and other plants, cutting and mulching and building up soil.

          I am doing rice cultivation with tilling now, but my experiments on no-till goes on. Once the cover crop is established, I will be trying it again. Along with this right seed that suits natural farming also has to be found out.

          Here one drink called 'Neera' is getting famous which is extracted from coconut flower, hasn't tasted it yet. See some articles on it, in this one also fermentation is avoided.

          image

          Neera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Neera, also called sweet toddy or palm nectar, is a sap extracted from the inflorescence of various species of toddy palms and used to quench thirst.[1] It should n...
          Preview by Yahoo

          Wish you and your family all the best in farming.

          Regards,
          Nandan

          "To be here, caring for a small field, in full possession of the freedom and plentitude of each day, every day-this
          must have been the original way of agriculture" - Masanobu Fukuoka

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18, 2014
            Dear Nandan,

            Thank you so much for the links.
            I shall be studying them.
            I know about what you call jaggery, I have seen it in my youth. Here in France it is a kind of luxury product but I remember it was considered by country dwellers back in the Philippines as inferior to refined cane sugar.
            Maybe it is time to revive it.
            However, my main interest is in the "wine" product and I'll look into that. It might give the islanders a better source of income than copra production. I do not know yet but I will try to find out which one would be more profitable for them. Now if jaggery production requires simpler technology than wine production then I might still prefer the jaggery. I hope to meet one person who would be a good vendor because I do not wish to spend time selling but rather spreading hope to poor farmers. I know that's a wild dream but maybe just maybe it could make a difference however small.
            I wish you increasing success with your paddy production and all your crops, but above and beyond that I wish you good health to continue doing good around you.

            ruthie

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 18, 2014
              Hello Nandan,
              Nice to see that you are continuing your experiments in zeal.
              My farm in Ramanagara(Mysore Road) is under stress as all the adjoining farms are getting converted to residential sites.
              I have now only fruit yielding mango trees in the farm and two tamarind trees. Also since this is a dry area, I have also planted shikakai plants.
              I am thinking of retiring early (I am now 43) and take care of farm. But this means leaving a decent paying job. Contemplating....

              Regards
              Srinath

              --
              Regards

              Srinath Sastry
            • Nandan Palaparambil
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 19, 2014
                Hi Ruthie,

                Here there are mainly four products from coconut now - coconut oil, toddy(alcoholic drink),neera (non-alcoholic drink) and jaggery.

                Neera is just coming out and is supposed to make coconut farmers rich, as it says per tree it will given an income of 100 rupees - 1.6 USD per tree per day. I hope this will give a boost to the farmers, but definitely all the farmers have to first become self sufficient in food which will take car of their well being. Also they should realize the benefit of being a farmer and enjoy the life. Right now farmers think city life is superior and they wanted to get jobs and migrate.

                I also wanted to do some thing around me, but not sure what to do, probably easiest is to inspire people with natural/organic farming and also plant as many trees as possible.

                Regards,
                Nandan

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 19, 2014
                  Hi Nandan,
                  Neera has been sold in Maharashtra for ages now *:) happy. secondly Neera is extracted from the palm tree not the coconut tree.

                  and there is another product, the famous alcoholic drink, the Goan Coconut Feni
                  The problem with this products thing is that farmers tend to get carried away if they get some success on the market. Soon they get dependent on it. this is something they should guard against

                  Warm regards,

                  Sumant Joshi

                  Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 19, 2014
                    Hi Srinath,

                    My involvement in the farm is limited and I spend 1-2 days a week. I work from home and has some backup and not into farming completely. I am 45 and my dream also is to get into farming completely which will happen in 4-5 years, hopefully. But there are some people who has left their job and is able to get into farming and related activities, but I am not able to do it right now.

                    Income from farming will be limited, but it will be a good life.

                    Grow as many trees as possible, later will be able to cut and mulch and also plant fruit trees later.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 19, 2014
                      Hi Sumant,

                      Coconut sap is also being extracted. I do not know the name of this drink. There is technology available now to keep it fresh for many hours, without it getting fermented.

                      And there is nothing wrong if farmers earn some money :)

                      Hi Ruthie,

                      I have been getting some exposure to making jaggery for the last 3 years. Jaggery making unit is a relatively inexpensive unit. The costliest part of the unit is the cane crusher. Extracting coconut sap (equivalent of palm extract neera) is also a good initiative. Both of these can be done simultaneously. The jaggery making process is an annual event, while the neera extraction is a continuous one.

                      Regards,
                      Harish

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 19, 2014
                        Harish,
                        agreed, like I said, "this is something they should guard against", getting completely dependant on the market.

                        I am sure extracting sap has a bearing on coconut production. whereas the sap from the palm does not affect anything else since th efruit are of low monetary value