Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Arachis Pintoi

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
      Thanks Rajuji. True - I had put white clover and it didn't even germinate. Sun hemp is
      growing good with the rain and if left undisturbed reseeds and comes back and looks good
      for my coconut trees. But planning to grow cow pea in the next season, since it provides some food also.

      I am trying to experiment with Arachis Pintoi (Wild peanut) and Desmodium Scorpiurus for
      growing rice.

      Regards,
      Nandan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013
        It's a nice nitrogen fixer and establishes well under the right conditions.

        http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Arachis_pintoi.htm

        Here's another nitro fixer ground cover, a bit less aggressive than Arachis and will mix well with grasses, etc:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicago_lupulina

        Koreen Brennan

        www.growpermaculture.com
        www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
        www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013
          Thanks for the pointers.

          I was considering Medicago Lupulina (Black Medic), but it is not grown in this part of world
           (kerala,India) and hence left it as of now. I had seen reports that Black Medic is grown in rotation with
          wheat.

          Fukuoka san also suggests to use Bur clover..From natural farming book...

          Single cropping: Even when rice is single-cropped rather than grown in
          alternation with barley, clover seed may be sown in the fall, and the following
          spring rice seed scattered over the clover and the field flooded to favor the rice.
          Another possibility is to sow Chinese milk vetch and barley early, then cut
          these early in spring (February or March) for livestock feed. The barley will
          recover enough to yield 11 to 13 bushels per quarter-acre later. When single-
          cropping rice on a dry field, bur clover or Chinese milk vetch may be used

          Regards,
          Nandan