Arachis Pintoi

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2013
      Hi,

      Came across a new leguminous ground cover Arachis Pintoi which is also known as perenial peanut, see the link.

      http://www.agrowingculture.org/2012/03/breaking-vietnam%E2%80%99s-coffee-monoculture-with-perennial-peanut-arachis-pintoi/

      It grows very low, and it looks like it can be grown like a mat. I have seen people growing it as an ornamental plant. Will this be suitable for growing grains? Any ideas?

      Regards,
      Nandan
    • Nandan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2013
        Hi,

        Please see a message from 'Melroy C.F. Fernandes', he/she was not able to become a member of this group and message is 'Your membership is awaiting approval by the group owner'

        Co-ordinator, please take care of this.

        Regards,
        Nandan

        Hello,
        I'd applied for web-only membership some weeks back but have not received a reply yet!

        What is Arachis Pintoi known as locally and where do you obtain the seeds from? A friend of mine is looking for cover crops which can be used for year round fodder for cattle.
        Most Govt. dept's know nothing about scientific names!

        I'd also like to inform members of this group that I was looking for White Clover seeds in Mangalore, India, but in vain. Finally, I managed to procure 50 kgs(2 sacks)(as NSC sells only in bulk and this was the smallest qty I was allowed to buy) of Sunn Hemp seeds from the National Seed Corp. India @Rs.70/kg. Anyone in the vicinity interested in the seeds may email me at melroy70@.... . I have a receipt from NSC and can sell the seeds at Rs.80/kg which will cover my transportation costs.

        regards,
        Melroy C.F. Fernandes

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nandan" <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Came across a new leguminous ground cover Arachis Pintoi which is also known as perenial peanut, see the link.
        >
        > http://www.agrowingculture.org/2012/03/breaking-vietnam%E2%80%99s-coffee-monoculture-with-perennial-peanut-arachis-pintoi/
        >
        > It grows very low, and it looks like it can be grown like a mat. I have seen people growing it as an ornamental plant. Will this be suitable for growing grains? Any ideas?
        >

        > Regards,
        > Nandan

      • Raju Titus
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2013
          Dear Nanadan,
          White clover is not suitable in warm condition. Sun hemp is O.K. is
          available in Ratlam at the rate of
          Rs 40 per kg.
          Thanks
          Raju

          On 8/6/13, Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Please see a message from 'Melroy C.F. Fernandes', he/she was not able to
          > become a member of this group and message is 'Your membership is awaiting
          > approval by the group owner'
          >
          > Co-ordinator, please take care of this.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Nandan
          >
          > Hello,
          > I'd applied for web-only membership some weeks back but have not received a
          > reply yet!
          >
          > What is Arachis Pintoi known as locally and where do you obtain the seeds
          > from? A friend of mine is looking for cover crops which can be used for year
          > round fodder for cattle.
          > Most Govt. dept's know nothing about scientific names!
          >
          > I'd also like to inform members of this group that I was looking for White
          > Clover seeds in Mangalore, India, but in vain. Finally, I managed to procure
          > 50 kgs(2 sacks)(as NSC sells only in bulk and this was the smallest qty I
          > was allowed to buy) of Sunn Hemp seeds from the National Seed Corp. India
          > @Rs.70/kg. Anyone in the vicinity interested in the seeds may email me at
          > melroy70@.... . I have a receipt from NSC and can sell the seeds at
          > Rs.80/kg which will cover my transportation costs.
          >
          > regards,
          > Melroy C.F. Fernandes
          >
          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nandan" <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> Came across a new leguminous ground cover Arachis Pintoi which is also
          >> known as perenial peanut, see the link.
          >>
          >> http://www.agrowingculture.org/2012/03/breaking-vietnam%E2%80%99s-coffee-monoculture-with-perennial-peanut-arachis-pintoi/
          >>
          >> It grows very low, and it looks like it can be grown like a mat. I have
          >> seen people growing it as an ornamental plant. Will this be suitable for
          >> growing grains? Any ideas?
          >>

          >> Regards,
          >> Nandan

          rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
          http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
            Thanks Rajuji. True - I had put white clover and it didn't even germinate. Sun hemp is
            growing good with the rain and if left undisturbed reseeds and comes back and looks good
            for my coconut trees. But planning to grow cow pea in the next season, since it provides some food also.

            I am trying to experiment with Arachis Pintoi (Wild peanut) and Desmodium Scorpiurus for
            growing rice.

            Regards,
            Nandan

            ________________________________
            White clover is not suitable in warm condition. Sun hemp is O.K. is
            available in Ratlam at the rate of
            Rs 40 per kg.
            Thanks
            Raju

            On 8/6/13, Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Please see a message from 'Melroy C.F. Fernandes', he/she was not able to
            > become a member of this group and message is 'Your membership is awaiting
            > approval by the group owner'
            >
            > Co-ordinator, please take care of this.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Nandan
            >
            > Hello,
            > I'd applied for web-only membership some weeks back but have not received a
            > reply yet!
            >
            > What is Arachis Pintoi known as locally and where do you obtain the seeds
            > from? A friend of mine is looking for cover crops which can be used for year
            > round fodder for cattle.
            > Most Govt. dept's know nothing about scientific names!
            >
            > I'd also like to inform members of this group that I was looking for White
            > Clover seeds in Mangalore, India, but in vain. Finally, I managed to procure
            > 50 kgs(2 sacks)(as NSC sells only in bulk and this was the smallest qty I
            > was allowed to buy) of Sunn Hemp seeds from the National Seed Corp. India
            > @Rs.70/kg. Anyone in the vicinity interested in the seeds may email me at
            > melroy70@.... . I have a receipt from NSC and can sell the seeds at
            > Rs.80/kg which will cover my transportation costs.
            >
            > regards,
            > Melroy C.F. Fernandes
            >
            > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nandan" <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> Came across a new leguminous ground cover Arachis Pintoi which is also
            >> known as perenial peanut, see the link.
            >>
            >> http://www.agrowingculture.org/2012/03/breaking-vietnam%E2%80%99s-coffee-monoculture-with-perennial-peanut-arachis-pintoi/
            >>
            >> It grows very low, and it looks like it can be grown like a mat. I have
            >> seen people growing it as an ornamental plant. Will this be suitable for
            >> growing grains? Any ideas?
            >>

            >> Regards,
            >> Nandan

            rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
            http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus

          • Koreen Brennan
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013
              It's a nice nitrogen fixer and establishes well under the right conditions.

              http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Arachis_pintoi.htm

              Here's another nitro fixer ground cover, a bit less aggressive than Arachis and will mix well with grasses, etc:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicago_lupulina

              Koreen Brennan

              www.growpermaculture.com
              www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
              www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition

            • Nandan Palaparambil
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013
                Thanks for the pointers.

                I was considering Medicago Lupulina (Black Medic), but it is not grown in this part of world
                 (kerala,India) and hence left it as of now. I had seen reports that Black Medic is grown in rotation with
                wheat.

                Fukuoka san also suggests to use Bur clover..From natural farming book...

                Single cropping: Even when rice is single-cropped rather than grown in
                alternation with barley, clover seed may be sown in the fall, and the following
                spring rice seed scattered over the clover and the field flooded to favor the rice.
                Another possibility is to sow Chinese milk vetch and barley early, then cut
                these early in spring (February or March) for livestock feed. The barley will
                recover enough to yield 11 to 13 bushels per quarter-acre later. When single-
                cropping rice on a dry field, bur clover or Chinese milk vetch may be used

                Regards,
                Nandan