Re: [fukuoka_farming] Handling mulch

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2013
      Hi Ruthie,

      It looks each one has to experiment and find their own working mechanism. But in general, if there is break in the cycle, then we need a permanent legume ground cover, so during the break, ground cover will be growing and starting grain cultivation there may be easy. Again I can say it depends, since Rajuji was able to take grain cultivation under natural cover and my assumption is that it is because his land is very fertile and lot of mulch and hence no strong grass grows there.

      Even if you don't want to return all the straw, it is not an issue, when there is a break in the cycle, you can use the remaining straw to mulch above the ground cover.

      I think a fast growing, vigorous grain is always useful, since they compete well.

      Regards,
      Nandan