Re: [fukuoka_farming] Handling mulch

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
      True, tree saplings comes through mulch. But putting rice or finger millet by putting hole is back breaking and time consuming.

      Moving some part of mulch to sideways is not a difficult problem for me, since

      Regards,
      Nandan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
        Hello,

        If I understand correctly one of the reasons Fukuoka broadcast the seed 2
        weeks before harvesting was so that they would have time to germinate and
        become strong enough to break through the straw once it was layed out.

        I may be incorrect though, I am not speaking from experience, just from
        reading.

        -Devan

      • Raju Titus
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
          Dear friends,
          Please see this photo of Fukuoka farm
          https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cnzq8fjMfcD0l-e5FIk5LNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

          Raju

          On 7/2/13, Devan Carpenter <devanc@...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > If I understand correctly one of the reasons Fukuoka broadcast the seed 2
          > weeks before harvesting was so that they would have time to germinate and
          > become strong enough to break through the straw once it was layed out.
          >
          > I may be incorrect though, I am not speaking from experience, just from
          > reading.
          >
          > -Devan
          > On Jul 2, 2013 2:44 AM, "Nandan Palaparambil" <p_k_nandanan@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Hi Ruthie,
          >>
          >> I just checked the chapter 'Look at this grain' and it describes, '
          >>
          >> "The winter grain will be cut around 20th of May. About 2 weeks before
          >> the
          >> crop has fully matured, I broadcast rice seed over rye and barley. After
          >> the winter grain has been harvested and the grains threshed, I spread the
          >> rye and barley straw over the field"
          >>
          >> By the time, the rye and barley straw is spread, the rice would have
          >> already germinated. I think, the same happens with rice. So clearly it is
          >> not that the straw is decomposed, before the seeds germinate. Also in
          >> farming, it is difficult to make such conditions, since if there is
          >> sufficient moisture seeds will start germinating, whether straw is
          >> decomposed or not and if there is heavy straw on the top, they won't come
          >> out.
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >>
          >> Nandan
          >>
          >> ________________________________

          rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
          http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2013
            Dear Rajuji/Devan,

            I was starting a fresh cultivation  since the cycle is not complete now like winter crop, summer crop. I am little hesitant to put the seeds before and trample the seedlings during harvest....may take more time to get adjusted with all these methods.

            But probably I didn't completely follow the natural cycle. In some part of the field I had done watering and there weeds were there even in the summer. Probably this was a first mistake, typically in summer all the grasses completely dried and starting a cultivation with first rain is always easy, since there are no weeds present and you can establish a crop/legume before the weeds starts sprouting. I missed this window due to some other work, so trying to patch it up.

            Another thing is that even though green mulch looks to be more in volume, after drying it gets reduced a lot.

            Some where in one straw revolution, it says Fukuoka san used to check the germination of seeds, if germination was found to be bad, then he used to put more seed balls later. These are all very practical difficulties any farmer will face, and book gives lot of solutions, if you read it carefully.

            Regards,
            Nandan
            http://farming-experiments.blogspot.in/

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2013
              Dear friends,
              Seed ball failure is common problem. Perfect mulching of straw or
              green mulch over seed balls is required. I am facing this problem due
              to rats,squarel and insects.
              In the absence of straw or green mulch i dibble seed balls for protection.
              thanks
              Raju

            • Ruthie Aquino
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2013
                Very fine observation Nandan.
                So it remains a mystery to me.
                I truly thought it was the start of decompostition that allowed the
                seedlings to rise between the "obstacles".
                It is then a balancing act, acquired through years of timing experience or
                years of making your grain more vigorous, that allows the rice to grow
                above the straw?

                best
                RUTHIE

              • Nandan Palaparambil
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2013
                  Hi Ruthie,

                  It looks each one has to experiment and find their own working mechanism. But in general, if there is break in the cycle, then we need a permanent legume ground cover, so during the break, ground cover will be growing and starting grain cultivation there may be easy. Again I can say it depends, since Rajuji was able to take grain cultivation under natural cover and my assumption is that it is because his land is very fertile and lot of mulch and hence no strong grass grows there.

                  Even if you don't want to return all the straw, it is not an issue, when there is a break in the cycle, you can use the remaining straw to mulch above the ground cover.

                  I think a fast growing, vigorous grain is always useful, since they compete well.

                  Regards,
                  Nandan