Handling mulch

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
      Hi,

      Recently I am finding that some times, the mulch at the surface becomes too thick and planting through it is difficult. If the mulch is too thick, seeds does not push through it and number of plants per unit area becomes small and it becomes a problem in uniformly establishing the crop.

      Today I was cutting one area of the farm where I had grown cowpea in the summer and now cowpea and grass are growing, after the rains. I wanted to grow sunhemp and take up some grain crops in the next season, so I cut that area using scythe. My scythe cutting is not perfect so it takes more time. After cutting I found that mulch is too much and there is no way, sunhemp seeds will come through it. So finally I moved most of the mulch to one side and then put sunhemp seeds, still there was enough mulch to cover the seeds.

      I am wondering, how Fukuoka san could return all the straw back to the field without affecting the germination of wheat/barley?

      Regards,
      Nandan
    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
        Greetings Nandan,
        To answer your question I am guessing it is because the straw has enough
        time to rot a little before the seedlings are ready to sprout...
        Fukuoka threw the seedballs for the next crop just before harvesting his
        grain and putting back the straw. In my little experimental natural plot I
        noticed the seedballs I threw did not necessarily sprout when I expected
        them to, but skipped one planting season.
        I suppose Fukuoka showed a field at cruising speed already, and not a
        newly-created one like you and I and some other members here have.
        When I was little we were constantly reminded by our teachers, "If at first
        you don't succeed try and try again".
        Happy farming to all.

        RUTHIE

        2013/7/1 Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...>

        > **
        >

        > Hi,
        >
        > Recently I am finding that some times, the mulch at the surface becomes
        > too thick and planting through it is difficult. If the mulch is too thick,
        > seeds does not push through it and number of plants per unit area becomes
        > small and it becomes a problem in uniformly establishing the crop.
        >
        > Today I was cutting one area of the farm where I had grown cowpea in the
        > summer and now cowpea and grass are growing, after the rains. I wanted to
        > grow sunhemp and take up some grain crops in the next season, so I cut that
        > area using scythe. My scythe cutting is not perfect so it takes more time.
        > After cutting I found that mulch is too much and there is no way, sunhemp
        > seeds will come through it. So finally I moved most of the mulch to one
        > side and then put sunhemp seeds, still there was enough mulch to cover the
        > seeds.
        >
        > I am wondering, how Fukuoka san could return all the straw back to the
        > field without affecting the germination of wheat/barley?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Nandan

      • Sumant Joshi
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
          I think it also has to do with what you are planting. Thick mulch may not stop certain types of climbers or tree saplings. maybe if it is just single seeds, we could make a little hole and drop it there??

          But Ruthie, I like the term "cruising speed" when describing Fukuoka's feilds

          Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

          Warm regards,

          Sumant Joshi
          Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

          >________________________________

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
            Hi Ruthie,

            I just checked the chapter 'Look at this grain' and it describes, '

            "The winter grain will be cut around 20th of May. About 2 weeks before the crop has fully matured, I broadcast rice seed over rye and barley. After the winter grain has been harvested and the grains threshed, I spread the rye and barley straw over the field"

            By the time, the rye and barley straw is spread, the rice would have already germinated. I think, the same happens with rice. So clearly it is not that the straw is decomposed, before the seeds germinate. Also in farming, it is difficult to make such conditions, since if there is sufficient moisture seeds will start germinating, whether straw is decomposed or not and if there is heavy straw on the top, they won't come out.

            Regards,

            Nandan

            ________________________________

            2013/7/1 Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...>

            > **
            >

            > Hi,
            >
            > Recently I am finding that some times, the mulch at the surface becomes
            > too thick and planting through it is difficult. If the mulch is too thick,
            > seeds does not push through it and number of plants per unit area becomes
            > small and it becomes a problem in uniformly establishing the crop.
            >
            > Today I was cutting one area of the farm where I had grown cowpea in the
            > summer and now cowpea and grass are growing, after the rains. I wanted to
            > grow sunhemp and take up some grain crops in the next season, so I cut that
            > area using scythe. My scythe cutting is not perfect so it takes more time.
            > After cutting I found that mulch is too much and there is no way, sunhemp
            > seeds will come through it. So finally I moved most of the mulch to one
            > side and then put sunhemp seeds, still there was enough mulch to cover the
            > seeds.
            >
            > I am wondering, how Fukuoka san could return all the straw back to the
            > field without affecting the germination of wheat/barley?
            >
            > Regards,
            > Nandan

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
              True, tree saplings comes through mulch. But putting rice or finger millet by putting hole is back breaking and time consuming.

              Moving some part of mulch to sideways is not a difficult problem for me, since

              Regards,
              Nandan

              ________________________________
              I think it also has to do with what you are planting. Thick mulch may not stop certain types of climbers or tree saplings. maybe if it is just single seeds, we could make a little hole and drop it there??

              But Ruthie, I like the term "cruising speed" when describing Fukuoka's feilds

              Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

              Warm regards,

              Sumant Joshi
              Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

              >________________________________

            • Devan Carpenter
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
                Hello,

                If I understand correctly one of the reasons Fukuoka broadcast the seed 2
                weeks before harvesting was so that they would have time to germinate and
                become strong enough to break through the straw once it was layed out.

                I may be incorrect though, I am not speaking from experience, just from
                reading.

                -Devan

              • Raju Titus
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
                  Dear friends,
                  Please see this photo of Fukuoka farm
                  https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cnzq8fjMfcD0l-e5FIk5LNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

                  Raju

                  On 7/2/13, Devan Carpenter <devanc@...> wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > If I understand correctly one of the reasons Fukuoka broadcast the seed 2
                  > weeks before harvesting was so that they would have time to germinate and
                  > become strong enough to break through the straw once it was layed out.
                  >
                  > I may be incorrect though, I am not speaking from experience, just from
                  > reading.
                  >
                  > -Devan
                  > On Jul 2, 2013 2:44 AM, "Nandan Palaparambil" <p_k_nandanan@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> Hi Ruthie,
                  >>
                  >> I just checked the chapter 'Look at this grain' and it describes, '
                  >>
                  >> "The winter grain will be cut around 20th of May. About 2 weeks before
                  >> the
                  >> crop has fully matured, I broadcast rice seed over rye and barley. After
                  >> the winter grain has been harvested and the grains threshed, I spread the
                  >> rye and barley straw over the field"
                  >>
                  >> By the time, the rye and barley straw is spread, the rice would have
                  >> already germinated. I think, the same happens with rice. So clearly it is
                  >> not that the straw is decomposed, before the seeds germinate. Also in
                  >> farming, it is difficult to make such conditions, since if there is
                  >> sufficient moisture seeds will start germinating, whether straw is
                  >> decomposed or not and if there is heavy straw on the top, they won't come
                  >> out.
                  >>
                  >> Regards,
                  >>
                  >> Nandan
                  >>
                  >> ________________________________

                  rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
                • Nandan Palaparambil
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2013
                    Dear Rajuji/Devan,

                    I was starting a fresh cultivation  since the cycle is not complete now like winter crop, summer crop. I am little hesitant to put the seeds before and trample the seedlings during harvest....may take more time to get adjusted with all these methods.

                    But probably I didn't completely follow the natural cycle. In some part of the field I had done watering and there weeds were there even in the summer. Probably this was a first mistake, typically in summer all the grasses completely dried and starting a cultivation with first rain is always easy, since there are no weeds present and you can establish a crop/legume before the weeds starts sprouting. I missed this window due to some other work, so trying to patch it up.

                    Another thing is that even though green mulch looks to be more in volume, after drying it gets reduced a lot.

                    Some where in one straw revolution, it says Fukuoka san used to check the germination of seeds, if germination was found to be bad, then he used to put more seed balls later. These are all very practical difficulties any farmer will face, and book gives lot of solutions, if you read it carefully.

                    Regards,
                    Nandan
                    http://farming-experiments.blogspot.in/

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 4, 2013
                      Dear friends,
                      Seed ball failure is common problem. Perfect mulching of straw or
                      green mulch over seed balls is required. I am facing this problem due
                      to rats,squarel and insects.
                      In the absence of straw or green mulch i dibble seed balls for protection.
                      thanks
                      Raju

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 4, 2013
                        Very fine observation Nandan.
                        So it remains a mystery to me.
                        I truly thought it was the start of decompostition that allowed the
                        seedlings to rise between the "obstacles".
                        It is then a balancing act, acquired through years of timing experience or
                        years of making your grain more vigorous, that allows the rice to grow
                        above the straw?

                        best
                        RUTHIE

                      • Nandan Palaparambil
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 4, 2013
                          Hi Ruthie,

                          It looks each one has to experiment and find their own working mechanism. But in general, if there is break in the cycle, then we need a permanent legume ground cover, so during the break, ground cover will be growing and starting grain cultivation there may be easy. Again I can say it depends, since Rajuji was able to take grain cultivation under natural cover and my assumption is that it is because his land is very fertile and lot of mulch and hence no strong grass grows there.

                          Even if you don't want to return all the straw, it is not an issue, when there is a break in the cycle, you can use the remaining straw to mulch above the ground cover.

                          I think a fast growing, vigorous grain is always useful, since they compete well.

                          Regards,
                          Nandan