Re: Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre

  • aks
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
      Hi Harish,
      I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year too, let me know.
      Thanks,
      Alok

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

      > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
      > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
      > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
      > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
      >
      > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
      > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
      > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
      > is *Gliricidia
      > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
      >
      > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
      >
      > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
      > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
      > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
      > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
      > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
      > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
      > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
      > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
      > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
      > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
      > good health this year.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Harish

    • Harish Amur
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8 8:37 PM
        Sorry. Somehow I missed noticing this email. I did not collect seeds this
        time, so can't help you. However, I am sharing with you a site
        http://www.treeseedsindia.com/green-manure.htm which can help you with the
        seeds. I have ordered seeds from them. I found them reliable.

        Regards,
        Harish

        On 18 June 2013 13:22, aks <alok26sinha@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Harish,
        > I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year
        > too, let me know.
        > Thanks,
        > Alok
        >

        > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve
        > Gliricidia
        > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
        > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let
        > me
        > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
        > >
        > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It
        > is
        > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut
        > branches.
        > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
        > > is *Gliricidia
        > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
        > >
        > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
        > >
        > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
        > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
        > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
        > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
        > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread
        > easily.
        > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is
        > not
        > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
        > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
        > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months
        > together.
        > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a
        > very
        > > good health this year.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Harish