Re: Establishing Cover Crops

  • Mike Higgs
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 16, 2013
      Not only does it retain moisture but the mulch rots down into compost
      and improves fertility. I think that feeding the soil is a much
      better idea than feeding the plants. We've been adding plants that
      mine minerals (lambsquarter, pigweed, yarrow, stinging nettle, red
      clover, Dutch white clover, etc), attract pollinators all through the
      growing season, attract predatory insects, confuse pests. Our
      preference is for perennials or self-seeding annuals and biennials.
      And we've stopped mowing the orchard although I do selective scything
      to suppress plants that we don't want. We're very early in the process
      but we can see some results -
      https://picasaweb.google.com/PortagePerennials/HolisticOrchard#5888913239729330466

      Regards,
      Mike

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Nandan Palaparambil
      <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

      > Adding 6 inch mulch layer around young trees to make them survive summer is an interesting thing. Planning to try this for the mango trees. Last summer was very severe and lost some of the trees.Â
      >

      > Regards,
      > Nandan

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2013
        Hi and congratulations
        This looks like a permaculture orchard, design and all
        I've a friend who did something similar, with the addition that yours shows
        an effort at symmetry and aesthetism
        Your picture 13 is pleasantly graphic
        Good luck farmer friend
        best