Re: [fukuoka_farming] Coconut Farm maintenance

  • Ruthie Aquino
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2013
      Daniel's reply is something I have seen with my own eyes in the Philippines.
      Coconut trees grow old and tall on the beach with no care, you just harvest
      the nuts.
      Where coconut trees are planted far from the shore the Agriculture Ministry
      recommends applying salt. At first I found that funny -- I still do by the
      way -- but it must be an attempt to mimic the natural growing conditions
      for coconut.
      Only one variety of mango have I observed growing with the coconuts (both
      are tall trees and even huge for the mango) and it is called Indian mango.
      That is my observation on one island with no distinct wet and dry seasons,
      surely other varieties of mango can grow beside coconut, in other climates.
      Sugar apple grows wild on the beach, too, with no care.
      best
      RUTHIE