Re: [fukuoka_farming] Coconut Farm maintenance

  • Shashi Kumar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2013
      Dear Viva,

      If you have a strong inclination for natural farming, suggest that you
      leave it without tilling and use a sun-hemp or any dicot as a covercrop.
      That should take care of the issue.

      if you want to do it in a traditional way, I still suggest you avoid
      tilling but get a permanent inter-crop. I have integrated coconut and
      banana successfully, I only take care of banana, coconut takes care of
      itself. Other intercrop I tried is areca, but after a while you will start
      seeing diminishing coconut yields with areca inter-cropping. I have tried
      both the options and I think banana inter-crop has worked best for me & I
      have taken natural farming approach.

      Note that, from past 2 years we have harvested about 12,000 nuts from 80
      coconut palms on a average per year, but to reach this stage it took us
      close to 5 years (we started with about 4000 nuts per year from 80 palms)
      AND from past 5 years we are harvesting about 6000 KGs of banana per year
      on a average from inter-cropping. Works out to be about 6 KGS of banana per
      tiller, which I think is ok considering I have not replanted the banana
      from past 5 years.

      again, as a word of caution, I am no expert, I am only sharing what I have
      done.

      Regards
      Shashi

      On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM, vivasayee vivasayee
      <vivasayeee@...>wrote:

      > Hello Experts ,
      >
      > 1.I am looking for concrete information should we need to plough in
      > between coconut trees.
      >
      > some people states it is good so that new roots will appear ,some says not
      > good .
      >

      > 2.What is the best natural ingredients to be feed for trees so that we can
      > have good yield .,Any one has practical self exposure .
      >

      > Thanks
      > Viva..

    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
        First, the Natural Way:

        Coconuts grow naturally on often very sparsely vegetated beach fronts.
        There, their roots have access to brackish or even saline ground (sea) water.
        They are exposed to full sunlight, have little competition from other beach front trees, and often grow in windy areas. They are subjected to frequent flooding (storm surge), yet they grow in a medium that allows easy and deep root penetration (sand) (so not in stagnant swampy places).

        So your best bet is to have a coconut plantation "on the beach".
        Anywhere away from these conditions is asking for trouble, and hence will require "management".

        That said, you should definitely have little shade competition with other trees, should keep little weed cover, and should have a fresh supply of "nutrients" from the sea.

        I'd suggest you bring large shipments of kelp, or crushed seashells and dump it all over in your plantation and let it rot in place.

        Adding sometimes some diluted seawater (1/10 dilution) during the rainy season has been shown to greatly benefit coconut trees grown away from the coast.

        Good luck.

        Daniel

        ps. Do not irrigate! They quickly develop disease and root rot if irrigated.

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, vivasayee vivasayee <vivasayeee@...> wrote:

        > Hello Experts ,
        >
        > 1.I am looking for concrete information should we need to plough in
        > between coconut trees.
        >
        > some people states it is good so that new roots will appear ,some says not
        > good .
        >

        > 2.What is the best natural ingredients to be feed for trees so that we can
        > have good yield .,Any one has practical self exposure .
        >

        > Thanks
        > Viva..

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
          I think if you have more varieties of intercrop, it is better. Even I have banana as intercrop, but the soil has lot of stornes and hence they do not come up well. But I have mango trees which comes up well. I am planning to grow moringa, pappaya, glyrecedia with pepper on it. I also have put sunhemp as cover crop and in some places velvet beans also.
          Subash Palekar's book gives a plan of what all intercrops are possible with coconut.
          Regards,Nandan

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2013
            Daniel's reply is something I have seen with my own eyes in the Philippines.
            Coconut trees grow old and tall on the beach with no care, you just harvest
            the nuts.
            Where coconut trees are planted far from the shore the Agriculture Ministry
            recommends applying salt. At first I found that funny -- I still do by the
            way -- but it must be an attempt to mimic the natural growing conditions
            for coconut.
            Only one variety of mango have I observed growing with the coconuts (both
            are tall trees and even huge for the mango) and it is called Indian mango.
            That is my observation on one island with no distinct wet and dry seasons,
            surely other varieties of mango can grow beside coconut, in other climates.
            Sugar apple grows wild on the beach, too, with no care.
            best
            RUTHIE