Re: [fukuoka_farming] Sunhemp growing

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
      Hi Ruthie,
      In areas where I had left the grass to grow by itself, without cutting/watering that area, fertility was much better. When I cut it frequently and water that area, grass still grows strong. May be watering was the real issue, since it allowed grass to grow again.
       If the grass is allowed to grow to mature stage and dries back, then those plants die and new plants can come from only seeds. Not sure, if grass has a tendency to grow again from the same plant for the next season, if it is cut, before maturing.

      Regards,Nandan

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
        Dear Nanadan,
        When i stopped tilling in the beginning my field was covered by very
        strong grass but slowly it vanished now my field is free from grass.
        In some but very little places grass is emerging due to heavy flow of
        water.
        I realized that there is direct relation between soil erosion and the
        growth of grass.
        I do not grow rice or wheat in the grass cover legumes do well in the
        grass cover.
        Thanks
        Raju

        rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
        http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
      • Ruthie Aquino
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
          Rajuji said :* I realized that there is direct relation between soil
          erosion and the
          growth of grass.*
          Sorry I did not understnad this phrase, but I am guessing it means where
          there is too much flowing water then grass grows back?
          Kindly bear with me...
          best
          RUTHIE

        • Kathryn Blades
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
            Thank you so much!

            Best gardening wishes,

            Kathryn Blades

            On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very
            > enlightening
            >
            > here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use
            >

            > https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing
            >
            > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
            >
            > Warm regards,
            >
            > Sumant Joshi
            > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
            >
            > >________________________________

            Kathryn Blades
            (C) 252-202-5587

          • Raju Titus
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
              Generally soil erosion is due to tilling,grazing,fire or removing
              grass cover by cutting. Soil is intact by roots but when roots dye
              soil remain loose and is washed by rain. Grass comes to save soil is
              good but for growing Rice and wheat naturally is
              gives problem.If you grow non grass crops no problem.
              Therefor we grow hemp etc. to remove grass.
              Thanks
              Raju

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                Thank you Sir.
                RUTHIE

                2013/6/13 Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...>

                > **
                >

                > Generally soil erosion is due to tilling,grazing,fire or removing
                > grass cover by cutting. Soil is intact by roots but when roots dye
                > soil remain loose and is washed by rain. Grass comes to save soil is
                > good but for growing Rice and wheat naturally is
                > gives problem.If you grow non grass crops no problem.
                > Therefor we grow hemp etc. to remove grass.
                > Thanks
                > Raju
                >
                > On 6/12/13, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...> wrote:
                > > Rajuji said :* I realized that there is direct relation between soil
                > > erosion and the
                > > growth of grass.*
                >
                > > Sorry I did not understnad this phrase, but I am guessing it means where
                > > there is too much flowing water then grass grows back?
                > > Kindly bear with me...
                > > best
                > > RUTHIE

                > --
                > *Raju Titus.Natural farm.Hoshangabad. M.P. 461001.*
                > rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.

              • Nandan Palaparambil
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 13, 2013
                  Dear Rajuji,
                  Thanks for the insights.
                  After growing sunhemp for an year, I find the grass has subsided a lot.

                  Regards,Nandan

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 14, 2013
                    Yugandhar, please try again, others seem to have no issues