Re: [fukuoka_farming] Sunhemp growing

  • Ruthie Aquino
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
      Hello Nandan,
      I have a similar experience to yours : where grass is growing it is
      difficult to have nice soil.
      When I can I uproot the clumps of tough grass and cover them with
      something, even cut grass.
      My natural garden started last year, on an area covered by regularly mown
      grass, is starting to have less compacted soil.
      I think the natural farming suitable to my location has to start with
      elimination of impenetrable grass and its thick cushion of tangled roots.
      best
      RUTHIE

      2013/6/11 Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...>

      > **
      >

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have been using sunhemp as a cover crop in some part of the farm. I had
      > sown seeds in last June, starting with rain and allowed it to grow for a
      > complete year. It had flowers/seeds harvested some seeds, remaining seeds
      > had fallen on the ground and started germinating now. There was no
      > interruption on the ground, no watering etc..
      >
      > In another area, grass was growing and I had cut it when the grass was
      > growing tall and mulched back without disturbing the soil. One more time I
      > did this when grass had grown back and some water also leaked to this area
      > in the summer.
      >
      > Now when I look at the two areas, the area where sunhemp was growing is
      > less infected with weeds and land looks much relaxed there. Sunhemp seeds
      > are growing every where and this may interfere with other farming
      > activities, so planning to pick them after they grow to some height. In the
      > area, where the cutting of grass was done multiple times, grass is still
      > agressively growing with the start of rain.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Nandan

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
        Hi Sumant,
        Thank you, it's Christmas before Christmas
        best
        RUTHIE

        2013/6/11 Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...>

        > **
        >

        > Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very
        > enlightening
        >
        > here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use
        >

        > https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing
        >
        > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
        >
        > Warm regards,
        >
        > Sumant Joshi
        > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
        >
        > >________________________________

      • Abhijit Deshpande
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
          Thank you. This is really precious precious knowledge

          Sent from Samsung Mobile

          Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very enlightening

          here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use

          https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing

          Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

          Warm regards,

          Sumant Joshi
          Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

          >________________________________

        • Yugandhar S
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
            Sumant ji,
            Cannot access the link.

            --Yug

            On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very
            > enlightening
            >
            > here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use
            >

            > https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing
            >
            > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
            >
            > Warm regards,
            >
            > Sumant Joshi
            > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
            >
            > >________________________________

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
              Hi Ruthie,
              In areas where I had left the grass to grow by itself, without cutting/watering that area, fertility was much better. When I cut it frequently and water that area, grass still grows strong. May be watering was the real issue, since it allowed grass to grow again.
               If the grass is allowed to grow to mature stage and dries back, then those plants die and new plants can come from only seeds. Not sure, if grass has a tendency to grow again from the same plant for the next season, if it is cut, before maturing.

              Regards,Nandan

              2013/6/11 Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...>

              > **
              >

              > Hi,
              >
              > I have been using sunhemp as a cover crop in some part of the farm. I had
              > sown seeds in last June, starting with rain and allowed it to grow for a
              > complete year. It had flowers/seeds harvested some seeds, remaining seeds
              > had fallen on the ground and started germinating now. There was no
              > interruption on the ground, no watering etc..
              >
              > In another area, grass was growing and I had cut it when the grass was
              > growing tall and mulched back without disturbing the soil. One more time I
              > did this when grass had grown back and some water also leaked to this area
              > in the summer.
              >
              > Now when I look at the two areas, the area where sunhemp was growing is
              > less infected with weeds and land looks much relaxed there. Sunhemp seeds
              > are growing every where and this may interfere with other farming
              > activities, so planning to pick them after they grow to some height. In the
              > area, where the cutting of grass was done multiple times, grass is still
              > agressively growing with the start of rain.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Nandan

            • Raju Titus
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                Dear Nanadan,
                When i stopped tilling in the beginning my field was covered by very
                strong grass but slowly it vanished now my field is free from grass.
                In some but very little places grass is emerging due to heavy flow of
                water.
                I realized that there is direct relation between soil erosion and the
                growth of grass.
                I do not grow rice or wheat in the grass cover legumes do well in the
                grass cover.
                Thanks
                Raju

                rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
                http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
              • Ruthie Aquino
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                  Rajuji said :* I realized that there is direct relation between soil
                  erosion and the
                  growth of grass.*
                  Sorry I did not understnad this phrase, but I am guessing it means where
                  there is too much flowing water then grass grows back?
                  Kindly bear with me...
                  best
                  RUTHIE

                • Kathryn Blades
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                    Thank you so much!

                    Best gardening wishes,

                    Kathryn Blades

                    On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very
                    > enlightening
                    >
                    > here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use
                    >

                    > https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing
                    >
                    > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
                    >
                    > Warm regards,
                    >
                    > Sumant Joshi
                    > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
                    >
                    > >________________________________

                    Kathryn Blades
                    (C) 252-202-5587

                  • Raju Titus
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                      Generally soil erosion is due to tilling,grazing,fire or removing
                      grass cover by cutting. Soil is intact by roots but when roots dye
                      soil remain loose and is washed by rain. Grass comes to save soil is
                      good but for growing Rice and wheat naturally is
                      gives problem.If you grow non grass crops no problem.
                      Therefor we grow hemp etc. to remove grass.
                      Thanks
                      Raju

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                        Thank you Sir.
                        RUTHIE

                        2013/6/13 Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...>

                        > **
                        >

                        > Generally soil erosion is due to tilling,grazing,fire or removing
                        > grass cover by cutting. Soil is intact by roots but when roots dye
                        > soil remain loose and is washed by rain. Grass comes to save soil is
                        > good but for growing Rice and wheat naturally is
                        > gives problem.If you grow non grass crops no problem.
                        > Therefor we grow hemp etc. to remove grass.
                        > Thanks
                        > Raju
                        >
                        > On 6/12/13, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...> wrote:
                        > > Rajuji said :* I realized that there is direct relation between soil
                        > > erosion and the
                        > > growth of grass.*
                        >
                        > > Sorry I did not understnad this phrase, but I am guessing it means where
                        > > there is too much flowing water then grass grows back?
                        > > Kindly bear with me...
                        > > best
                        > > RUTHIE

                        > --
                        > *Raju Titus.Natural farm.Hoshangabad. M.P. 461001.*
                        > rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.

                      • Nandan Palaparambil
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 13, 2013
                          Dear Rajuji,
                          Thanks for the insights.
                          After growing sunhemp for an year, I find the grass has subsided a lot.

                          Regards,Nandan

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 14, 2013
                            Yugandhar, please try again, others seem to have no issues