Sunhemp growing

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
      Hi,

      I have been using sunhemp as a cover crop in some part of the farm. I had sown seeds in last June, starting with rain and allowed it to grow for a complete year. It had flowers/seeds harvested some seeds, remaining seeds had fallen on the ground and started germinating now. There was no interruption on the ground, no watering etc..

      In another area, grass was growing and I had cut it when the grass was growing tall and mulched back without disturbing the soil. One more time I did this when grass had grown back and some water also leaked to this area in the summer.

      Now when I look at the two areas, the area where sunhemp was growing is less infected with weeds and land looks much relaxed there. Sunhemp seeds are growing every where and this may interfere with other farming activities, so planning to pick them after they grow to some height. In the area, where the cutting of grass was done multiple times, grass is still agressively growing with the start of rain.

      Regards,
      Nandan
    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
        Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very enlightening

        here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use

        https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing

        Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

        Warm regards,

        Sumant Joshi
        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

        >________________________________

      • Ruthie Aquino
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
          Hello Nandan,
          I have a similar experience to yours : where grass is growing it is
          difficult to have nice soil.
          When I can I uproot the clumps of tough grass and cover them with
          something, even cut grass.
          My natural garden started last year, on an area covered by regularly mown
          grass, is starting to have less compacted soil.
          I think the natural farming suitable to my location has to start with
          elimination of impenetrable grass and its thick cushion of tangled roots.
          best
          RUTHIE

          2013/6/11 Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...>

          > **
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have been using sunhemp as a cover crop in some part of the farm. I had
          > sown seeds in last June, starting with rain and allowed it to grow for a
          > complete year. It had flowers/seeds harvested some seeds, remaining seeds
          > had fallen on the ground and started germinating now. There was no
          > interruption on the ground, no watering etc..
          >
          > In another area, grass was growing and I had cut it when the grass was
          > growing tall and mulched back without disturbing the soil. One more time I
          > did this when grass had grown back and some water also leaked to this area
          > in the summer.
          >
          > Now when I look at the two areas, the area where sunhemp was growing is
          > less infected with weeds and land looks much relaxed there. Sunhemp seeds
          > are growing every where and this may interfere with other farming
          > activities, so planning to pick them after they grow to some height. In the
          > area, where the cutting of grass was done multiple times, grass is still
          > agressively growing with the start of rain.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Nandan

        • Ruthie Aquino
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
            Hi Sumant,
            Thank you, it's Christmas before Christmas
            best
            RUTHIE

            2013/6/11 Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...>

            > **
            >

            > Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very
            > enlightening
            >
            > here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use
            >

            > https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing
            >
            > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
            >
            > Warm regards,
            >
            > Sumant Joshi
            > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
            >
            > >________________________________

          • Abhijit Deshpande
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
              Thank you. This is really precious precious knowledge

              Sent from Samsung Mobile

              Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very enlightening

              here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use

              https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing

              Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

              Warm regards,

              Sumant Joshi
              Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

              >________________________________

            • Yugandhar S
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
                Sumant ji,
                Cannot access the link.

                --Yug

                On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very
                > enlightening
                >
                > here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use
                >

                > https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing
                >
                > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
                >
                > Warm regards,
                >
                > Sumant Joshi
                > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
                >
                > >________________________________

              • Nandan Palaparambil
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                  Hi Ruthie,
                  In areas where I had left the grass to grow by itself, without cutting/watering that area, fertility was much better. When I cut it frequently and water that area, grass still grows strong. May be watering was the real issue, since it allowed grass to grow again.
                   If the grass is allowed to grow to mature stage and dries back, then those plants die and new plants can come from only seeds. Not sure, if grass has a tendency to grow again from the same plant for the next season, if it is cut, before maturing.

                  Regards,Nandan

                  2013/6/11 Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...>

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I have been using sunhemp as a cover crop in some part of the farm. I had
                  > sown seeds in last June, starting with rain and allowed it to grow for a
                  > complete year. It had flowers/seeds harvested some seeds, remaining seeds
                  > had fallen on the ground and started germinating now. There was no
                  > interruption on the ground, no watering etc..
                  >
                  > In another area, grass was growing and I had cut it when the grass was
                  > growing tall and mulched back without disturbing the soil. One more time I
                  > did this when grass had grown back and some water also leaked to this area
                  > in the summer.
                  >
                  > Now when I look at the two areas, the area where sunhemp was growing is
                  > less infected with weeds and land looks much relaxed there. Sunhemp seeds
                  > are growing every where and this may interfere with other farming
                  > activities, so planning to pick them after they grow to some height. In the
                  > area, where the cutting of grass was done multiple times, grass is still
                  > agressively growing with the start of rain.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Nandan

                • Raju Titus
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                    Dear Nanadan,
                    When i stopped tilling in the beginning my field was covered by very
                    strong grass but slowly it vanished now my field is free from grass.
                    In some but very little places grass is emerging due to heavy flow of
                    water.
                    I realized that there is direct relation between soil erosion and the
                    growth of grass.
                    I do not grow rice or wheat in the grass cover legumes do well in the
                    grass cover.
                    Thanks
                    Raju

                    rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
                  • Ruthie Aquino
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                      Rajuji said :* I realized that there is direct relation between soil
                      erosion and the
                      growth of grass.*
                      Sorry I did not understnad this phrase, but I am guessing it means where
                      there is too much flowing water then grass grows back?
                      Kindly bear with me...
                      best
                      RUTHIE

                    • Kathryn Blades
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                        Thank you so much!

                        Best gardening wishes,

                        Kathryn Blades

                        On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Hi everyone, I went for a permaculture design course in May. very
                        > enlightening
                        >
                        > here are lots of goodies which some of us might like to use
                        >

                        > https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0bGFzmmPecaTVBBRGc5eDhlMlU&usp=sharing
                        >
                        > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
                        >
                        > Warm regards,
                        >
                        > Sumant Joshi
                        > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
                        >
                        > >________________________________

                        Kathryn Blades
                        (C) 252-202-5587

                      • Raju Titus
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                          Generally soil erosion is due to tilling,grazing,fire or removing
                          grass cover by cutting. Soil is intact by roots but when roots dye
                          soil remain loose and is washed by rain. Grass comes to save soil is
                          good but for growing Rice and wheat naturally is
                          gives problem.If you grow non grass crops no problem.
                          Therefor we grow hemp etc. to remove grass.
                          Thanks
                          Raju

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 12, 2013
                            Thank you Sir.
                            RUTHIE

                            2013/6/13 Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...>

                            > **
                            >

                            > Generally soil erosion is due to tilling,grazing,fire or removing
                            > grass cover by cutting. Soil is intact by roots but when roots dye
                            > soil remain loose and is washed by rain. Grass comes to save soil is
                            > good but for growing Rice and wheat naturally is
                            > gives problem.If you grow non grass crops no problem.
                            > Therefor we grow hemp etc. to remove grass.
                            > Thanks
                            > Raju
                            >
                            > On 6/12/13, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...> wrote:
                            > > Rajuji said :* I realized that there is direct relation between soil
                            > > erosion and the
                            > > growth of grass.*
                            >
                            > > Sorry I did not understnad this phrase, but I am guessing it means where
                            > > there is too much flowing water then grass grows back?
                            > > Kindly bear with me...
                            > > best
                            > > RUTHIE

                            > --
                            > *Raju Titus.Natural farm.Hoshangabad. M.P. 461001.*
                            > rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.

                          • Nandan Palaparambil
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 13, 2013
                              Dear Rajuji,
                              Thanks for the insights.
                              After growing sunhemp for an year, I find the grass has subsided a lot.

                              Regards,Nandan

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 14, 2013
                                Yugandhar, please try again, others seem to have no issues