Re: Huge Cucumber produce with natural farming way

  • Sheo Narayan
    Message 1 of 14 , May 16, 2013
      I understand from where Harish and Ruthie is coming from but I am neither into wanting more produce or award winning crops in terms of size of shapes.

      I just got the seed from a local workshop in my city and they claimed that it is a domestic/desi variety and I showed them over trench. I didn't used any chemicals. However i had kept 2-3 times cow dung liquid that we call Jiwamrita.

      Apart form that I have not done anything knowingly to increase the size or produce.

      As I am not staying in my farm 24*7 so even I hardly see them. They take care of themselves.

      Till now I have not weight or counted the vegetables we get from our farm, whatever is coming naturally i am happy with and enjoy their tastes. Luckily whenever I go to my farm, one or other thing we bring home. You can watch this video to see how my natural farm looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M8lqPGdHwk and what we are doing currently.

      I hope it clarifies.

      Thanks
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...> wrote:

      > Dear Harish,
      > I am so very glad you raised this point because when I harvest cucumbers or
      > zucchini for example, I harvest them small.
      > I find that the small, young ones give me more enjoyment than more mature
      > fruits.
      > Even in the matter of asparagus I pick them small and tender and pop them
      > raw into my mouth.
      > It is easy to fall into the trap of wanting to produce award-winning crops
      > in terms of size and shape.
      > However you are right to remind us that there is no discrimination in
      > nature, just as Fukuoka said.
      > Discrimination is man-made.
      > If the food is natural then it is good.
      > Happy farming.
      > RUTHIE
      >

      > 2013/5/15 Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Here is my question, which in no way is to dampen your efforts, "Is size
      > > and quantity of produce a measure of success? What about the unseen,
      > > the non-perceivable - such as the micro-nutrients in the produce or the
      > > lack of chemicals(*) etc.? Is success a good thing? For if we start going
      > > down that path, what is the difference? If we honour the usual yardsticks,
      > > then what is natural about natural farming?"
      > >
      > > By the way, mangoes are in season. Our mango trees have been issuing fruits
      > > naturally for the past 2 years. No fertilizers, no chemicals sprayed on the
      > > flowers (instead we sprayed jeevamruta) and no chemicals to hasten the
      > > ripening process. The yield has been low since we have not been able to
      > > water the trees and mulching is not to a desired level. I heard from an
      > > agricultural expert (chemical) that over mulching of mango trees is a good
      > > thing and that it helps in fighting a typical fruit deformity naturally!
      > > Some photos in my next posting.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Harish
      > >
      > > *Although we have not used chemicals on our field, we have no control over
      > > the run-off chemicals via water/air from neighbouring fields. Further, the
      > > field has had fertilizers before we bought it. I am not sure as to how long
      > > it takes for the land to get rid of this irritant. What about rains? Don't
      > > they bring down pollutants in the air to the ground? I am also quite unsure
      > > about organic manure, such as farm yard manure and composted manure from
      > > outside - for the raw materials fed to create/prepare this manure can have
      > > chemicals. Even the jeevamruta that we produce can be adultrated.
      > >
      > > On 15 May 2013 19:01, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi Sheo,
      > > >
      > > > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
      > > > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
      > > > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
      > > >
      > > > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.

> [...]
    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 14 , May 16, 2013
        Dear dear Sheo,
        That cucumber is beautiful and of course my post was not meant to criticize
        or comment on something I have not even touched or tasted.
        It is but normal for any farmer to be proud of his produce be it big or
        small. I am.
        Sheo I feel that I have offended you but please I am not one to judge
        fruits or animals or people.
        My post was a general statement of principle, it just so happened I wrote
        it under this thread.
        More power to you. You have a lovely child.
        RUTHIE

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 14 , May 16, 2013
          I keep hearing that Jeewamritha has lot of effects on the produce, even probably cowdung+urine alone might have this effect. I have seen people using it in the initial stages and later dropping it, since the effect at later stages may not be much.
          I have heard some one commenting, the fruits from trees which is not watered tastes much better, not sure if this applies to organic manure also?

          Regards,Nandan

          Message 4 of 14 , May 18, 2013
            Dear Ruthie,

            I am happy that you responded and believe me I didn't get offended.

            Thanks for everything and keep suggesting/commenting.

            You are very active in this group and of course we learn one or other thing
            from your response.

            Best regards
            Sheo Narayan

            Sheo Narayan "Farmer"