Re: Huge Cucumber produce with natural farming way

  • Sheo Narayan
    Message 1 of 14 , May 16 8:54 AM
      Hi Yug....

      Of course, might be. But I had not seen and even people from my farm village so they were shocked when they saw this.

      Thanks

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

      > Sheo, just today morning I was narrating to my parents about your cucumber.
      > Guess what. Your cucumber is small compared to what they have seen grown in
      > our native, which could easily weigh over 10Kg. My mother also narrated one
      > funny incident where my aunt bought a very ripe cucumber and tried to make
      > a dosa like dish (which they used to prepare) by mixing broken rice and
      > jaggery just with half of it.She got her calculations wrong and had to mix
      > so much of rice flour and jaggery, that they made many many dosas which
      > even after distributing to all and sundry were left over. My relative grows
      > cucumbers and what they eat and sell are very tender baby cucumbers which
      > are almost 1 foot in size :-)
      >
      > Harish,
      > I think Sheo just wants to share his happiness in seeing such a beauty
      > grow in his field.
      >
      > Best Regards
      > Yugandhar
      >

      > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Webmaster, FarmingFunda.com <
      > farmingfunda@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi Yug,
      > >
      > > Yes, I had purchased the seed from Biodiversity festival at Nampally.
      > >
      > > I am going to conserve the seed and this cucumber is for that purpose only.
      > >
      > > Thanks and should you have any more question, let me know.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > >

      > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi Sheo,
      > > >
      > > > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
      > > > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
      > > > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
      > > >
      > > > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.
      > > >
      > > > Great going.
      > > > Best Regards
      > > > Yugandhar
      > > >

      > > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Sheo Narayan <farmingfunda@...

      > > http://www.rameshwari.com/2013/05/huge-cucumber-produce-with-natural.html

    • Sheo Narayan
      Message 2 of 14 , May 16 9:02 AM
        I understand from where Harish and Ruthie is coming from but I am neither into wanting more produce or award winning crops in terms of size of shapes.

        I just got the seed from a local workshop in my city and they claimed that it is a domestic/desi variety and I showed them over trench. I didn't used any chemicals. However i had kept 2-3 times cow dung liquid that we call Jiwamrita.

        Apart form that I have not done anything knowingly to increase the size or produce.

        As I am not staying in my farm 24*7 so even I hardly see them. They take care of themselves.

        Till now I have not weight or counted the vegetables we get from our farm, whatever is coming naturally i am happy with and enjoy their tastes. Luckily whenever I go to my farm, one or other thing we bring home. You can watch this video to see how my natural farm looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M8lqPGdHwk and what we are doing currently.

        I hope it clarifies.

        Thanks
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...> wrote:

        > Dear Harish,
        > I am so very glad you raised this point because when I harvest cucumbers or
        > zucchini for example, I harvest them small.
        > I find that the small, young ones give me more enjoyment than more mature
        > fruits.
        > Even in the matter of asparagus I pick them small and tender and pop them
        > raw into my mouth.
        > It is easy to fall into the trap of wanting to produce award-winning crops
        > in terms of size and shape.
        > However you are right to remind us that there is no discrimination in
        > nature, just as Fukuoka said.
        > Discrimination is man-made.
        > If the food is natural then it is good.
        > Happy farming.
        > RUTHIE
        >

        > 2013/5/15 Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Here is my question, which in no way is to dampen your efforts, "Is size
        > > and quantity of produce a measure of success? What about the unseen,
        > > the non-perceivable - such as the micro-nutrients in the produce or the
        > > lack of chemicals(*) etc.? Is success a good thing? For if we start going
        > > down that path, what is the difference? If we honour the usual yardsticks,
        > > then what is natural about natural farming?"
        > >
        > > By the way, mangoes are in season. Our mango trees have been issuing fruits
        > > naturally for the past 2 years. No fertilizers, no chemicals sprayed on the
        > > flowers (instead we sprayed jeevamruta) and no chemicals to hasten the
        > > ripening process. The yield has been low since we have not been able to
        > > water the trees and mulching is not to a desired level. I heard from an
        > > agricultural expert (chemical) that over mulching of mango trees is a good
        > > thing and that it helps in fighting a typical fruit deformity naturally!
        > > Some photos in my next posting.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Harish
        > >
        > > *Although we have not used chemicals on our field, we have no control over
        > > the run-off chemicals via water/air from neighbouring fields. Further, the
        > > field has had fertilizers before we bought it. I am not sure as to how long
        > > it takes for the land to get rid of this irritant. What about rains? Don't
        > > they bring down pollutants in the air to the ground? I am also quite unsure
        > > about organic manure, such as farm yard manure and composted manure from
        > > outside - for the raw materials fed to create/prepare this manure can have
        > > chemicals. Even the jeevamruta that we produce can be adultrated.
        > >
        > > On 15 May 2013 19:01, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi Sheo,
        > > >
        > > > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
        > > > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
        > > > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
        > > >
        > > > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.

> [...]
      • Ruthie Aquino
        Message 3 of 14 , May 16 11:45 PM
          Dear dear Sheo,
          That cucumber is beautiful and of course my post was not meant to criticize
          or comment on something I have not even touched or tasted.
          It is but normal for any farmer to be proud of his produce be it big or
          small. I am.
          Sheo I feel that I have offended you but please I am not one to judge
          fruits or animals or people.
          My post was a general statement of principle, it just so happened I wrote
          it under this thread.
          More power to you. You have a lovely child.
          RUTHIE

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 14 , May 16 11:46 PM
            I keep hearing that Jeewamritha has lot of effects on the produce, even probably cowdung+urine alone might have this effect. I have seen people using it in the initial stages and later dropping it, since the effect at later stages may not be much.
            I have heard some one commenting, the fruits from trees which is not watered tastes much better, not sure if this applies to organic manure also?

            Regards,Nandan

            Message 5 of 14 , May 18 7:46 AM
              Dear Ruthie,

              I am happy that you responded and believe me I didn't get offended.

              Thanks for everything and keep suggesting/commenting.

              You are very active in this group and of course we learn one or other thing
              from your response.

              Best regards
              Sheo Narayan

              Sheo Narayan "Farmer"