Re: Cover crop options

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 11 , May 16, 2013
      Hi All,

      This is a mail which was started some time back to identify some legumes which I could see around. Later I could identify one of it as Alyce clover, Picture 11. I can see this coming on some area of the farm on its own.

      Meanwhile found another legume on the roadsides, which I have put as picture 2 and 3. Please let me know if anyone can identify this legume. This looks to be a creeper type, but it does not aggressively creep along other plants. Also its seed is very similar to Alyce clover, so it may be another clover variety. There is a similar variety throughout the farm but it climbs on all other plants.

      https://picasaweb.google.com/106465841699875745732/CoverCropsOptions

      Regards,
      Nandan

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Norm. The look and feel is like the Silver leaf Desmodium, but will wait to see the seeds from this, to confirm it.
      >
      > All these legumes, even though small and spreads on the ground, establishes in some areas and if they completely occupy the space then I can use them as cover crop for rice. But I am not able to see the seeds so far, but they grow well when a plant is uprooted and put in the soil. But managing it at this level is difficult.
      >
      > Yes, Raju sir uses Subabul, but he is able to find a market for selling it for fire wood which I don't have, even if it has, it is not attractive. We had a similar discussion about Subabul in 2008, just saw that !!!
      >
      > One person suggested Azolla also for ground cover, but it needs more water, otherwise that is also an excellent choice
      >
      > Regards,
      > Nandan
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 13, 2013
        Hi,
        Finally could get the legume identified as desmodium scorpiurus, http://www.saintlucianplants.com/floweringplants/fabaceae/desmscor/desmscor.html

        This looks to be promising, I can see this established in some areas on the road sides. They don't agressively creep on other plants and so far haven't seen them beyond 1 feet height. Collected some plants from road side and now planning to plant in the rice field to see if they can establish as a permanent cover crop.
        Regards,Nandan

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
          All three leaf plants known as clover if this is invasive can be used
          as ground cover crop.
          Thanks
          Raju

          rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
          http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
            Hope that rice grows well under the leguminous cover crop. Also controlling cover crop at critical times is another challenge, like Fukuoka san used the flooding method.
            Regards,Nandan