Re: [fukuoka_farming] Huge Cucumber produce with natural farming way

  • Harish Amur
    Message 1 of 14 , May 16, 2013
      To clarify again, my response was not towards Sheo's post. It was a generic
      question.

      Regards,
      Harish

    • Sheo Narayan
      Message 2 of 14 , May 16, 2013
        Hi Yug....

        Of course, might be. But I had not seen and even people from my farm village so they were shocked when they saw this.

        Thanks

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

        > Sheo, just today morning I was narrating to my parents about your cucumber.
        > Guess what. Your cucumber is small compared to what they have seen grown in
        > our native, which could easily weigh over 10Kg. My mother also narrated one
        > funny incident where my aunt bought a very ripe cucumber and tried to make
        > a dosa like dish (which they used to prepare) by mixing broken rice and
        > jaggery just with half of it.She got her calculations wrong and had to mix
        > so much of rice flour and jaggery, that they made many many dosas which
        > even after distributing to all and sundry were left over. My relative grows
        > cucumbers and what they eat and sell are very tender baby cucumbers which
        > are almost 1 foot in size :-)
        >
        > Harish,
        > I think Sheo just wants to share his happiness in seeing such a beauty
        > grow in his field.
        >
        > Best Regards
        > Yugandhar
        >

        > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Webmaster, FarmingFunda.com <
        > farmingfunda@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hi Yug,
        > >
        > > Yes, I had purchased the seed from Biodiversity festival at Nampally.
        > >
        > > I am going to conserve the seed and this cucumber is for that purpose only.
        > >
        > > Thanks and should you have any more question, let me know.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >

        > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...>
        > > wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi Sheo,
        > > >
        > > > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
        > > > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
        > > > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
        > > >
        > > > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.
        > > >
        > > > Great going.
        > > > Best Regards
        > > > Yugandhar
        > > >

        > > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Sheo Narayan <farmingfunda@...

        > > http://www.rameshwari.com/2013/05/huge-cucumber-produce-with-natural.html

      • Sheo Narayan
        Message 3 of 14 , May 16, 2013
          I understand from where Harish and Ruthie is coming from but I am neither into wanting more produce or award winning crops in terms of size of shapes.

          I just got the seed from a local workshop in my city and they claimed that it is a domestic/desi variety and I showed them over trench. I didn't used any chemicals. However i had kept 2-3 times cow dung liquid that we call Jiwamrita.

          Apart form that I have not done anything knowingly to increase the size or produce.

          As I am not staying in my farm 24*7 so even I hardly see them. They take care of themselves.

          Till now I have not weight or counted the vegetables we get from our farm, whatever is coming naturally i am happy with and enjoy their tastes. Luckily whenever I go to my farm, one or other thing we bring home. You can watch this video to see how my natural farm looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M8lqPGdHwk and what we are doing currently.

          I hope it clarifies.

          Thanks
          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...> wrote:

          > Dear Harish,
          > I am so very glad you raised this point because when I harvest cucumbers or
          > zucchini for example, I harvest them small.
          > I find that the small, young ones give me more enjoyment than more mature
          > fruits.
          > Even in the matter of asparagus I pick them small and tender and pop them
          > raw into my mouth.
          > It is easy to fall into the trap of wanting to produce award-winning crops
          > in terms of size and shape.
          > However you are right to remind us that there is no discrimination in
          > nature, just as Fukuoka said.
          > Discrimination is man-made.
          > If the food is natural then it is good.
          > Happy farming.
          > RUTHIE
          >

          > 2013/5/15 Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Here is my question, which in no way is to dampen your efforts, "Is size
          > > and quantity of produce a measure of success? What about the unseen,
          > > the non-perceivable - such as the micro-nutrients in the produce or the
          > > lack of chemicals(*) etc.? Is success a good thing? For if we start going
          > > down that path, what is the difference? If we honour the usual yardsticks,
          > > then what is natural about natural farming?"
          > >
          > > By the way, mangoes are in season. Our mango trees have been issuing fruits
          > > naturally for the past 2 years. No fertilizers, no chemicals sprayed on the
          > > flowers (instead we sprayed jeevamruta) and no chemicals to hasten the
          > > ripening process. The yield has been low since we have not been able to
          > > water the trees and mulching is not to a desired level. I heard from an
          > > agricultural expert (chemical) that over mulching of mango trees is a good
          > > thing and that it helps in fighting a typical fruit deformity naturally!
          > > Some photos in my next posting.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Harish
          > >
          > > *Although we have not used chemicals on our field, we have no control over
          > > the run-off chemicals via water/air from neighbouring fields. Further, the
          > > field has had fertilizers before we bought it. I am not sure as to how long
          > > it takes for the land to get rid of this irritant. What about rains? Don't
          > > they bring down pollutants in the air to the ground? I am also quite unsure
          > > about organic manure, such as farm yard manure and composted manure from
          > > outside - for the raw materials fed to create/prepare this manure can have
          > > chemicals. Even the jeevamruta that we produce can be adultrated.
          > >
          > > On 15 May 2013 19:01, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hi Sheo,
          > > >
          > > > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
          > > > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
          > > > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
          > > >
          > > > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.

> [...]
        • Ruthie Aquino
          Message 4 of 14 , May 16, 2013
            Dear dear Sheo,
            That cucumber is beautiful and of course my post was not meant to criticize
            or comment on something I have not even touched or tasted.
            It is but normal for any farmer to be proud of his produce be it big or
            small. I am.
            Sheo I feel that I have offended you but please I am not one to judge
            fruits or animals or people.
            My post was a general statement of principle, it just so happened I wrote
            it under this thread.
            More power to you. You have a lovely child.
            RUTHIE

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 14 , May 16, 2013
              I keep hearing that Jeewamritha has lot of effects on the produce, even probably cowdung+urine alone might have this effect. I have seen people using it in the initial stages and later dropping it, since the effect at later stages may not be much.
              I have heard some one commenting, the fruits from trees which is not watered tastes much better, not sure if this applies to organic manure also?

              Regards,Nandan

              Message 6 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                Dear Ruthie,

                I am happy that you responded and believe me I didn't get offended.

                Thanks for everything and keep suggesting/commenting.

                You are very active in this group and of course we learn one or other thing
                from your response.

                Best regards
                Sheo Narayan

                Sheo Narayan "Farmer"