Re: [fukuoka_farming] First hand experience

  • praveen kumar jonnalagadda
    Message 1 of 13 , May 15, 2013
      Hi Yugandhar,

        My farm is in Anantapur district in AP, INDIA. I bought 4 Acres and it is still lying vacent. I am waiting for rains so that I can start by sowing jawar or some other for which I can get country seed.

        Any Idea where can I get country seed in Anantapur or in Bangalore? (I stay in bangalore)

      Regards,
      Praveen Kumar Jonnalagadda

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , May 15, 2013
        The best source of local seeds is, in my experience, the local farming
        community. Jowar has multiple varieties. Some grow in the monsoon season
        (typically the red grain jowar), while some grow in the winter (hingari)
        season - the white grain variety. I tried to grow jowar (in about 1/2 acre
        land) naturally and failed. If you find some ways of growing it naturally
        please share.

        How about ragi and other millets? If the rains are heavy in your region,
        you can try various types of bean varieties, green gram, urad, mustard,
        soy(not a natural local variety, but helps in improving the fertility of
        the soil), jeera, sonf. All of these grow naturally easily.

        Sahaja Samruddha(http://www.sahajasamrudha.org) and Green Foundation(
        http://www.greenconserve.com/) can be approached for organic & local seeds.
        You can also try Annadana (http://annadana-seed.weebly.com/index.html) for
        vegetable seeds.

        All the best!

        Regards,
        Harish
        (Dharwad, North Karnataka)

        On 16 May 2013 09:25, praveen kumar jonnalagadda <

        Message 3 of 13 , May 15, 2013
          Hi Harish,

            Thanks for the info. Anantapur receives a very low rainfall, lot of cultivation is done with the help of borewells. I want to start with someting so that fertility of land increases and I am not looking for any returns. If I can get seed for next year that should be enough for me. I am planning to grow jawar so that I can put it for mulching in the next season while sowing some millets or horse gram.

          Regards,

        • Raju Titus
          Message 4 of 13 , May 16, 2013
            Growing Sorghum (Jwar)
            Make seed ball of !/2 "dia. and dibble seed ball by hand making small
            hole which cover seed ball. Make distance plant to plant about 1 feet.
            You can take mixed crop by adding Pigion pea or many other seeds.
            Thanks
            Raju

            rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
            http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
          • Harish Amur
            Message 5 of 13 , May 16, 2013
              In my opinion, Jowar being a monocot does not add too much to the soil, in
              a manner that I understand soil. It also is not a good mulch*, compared to
              dicots. I have tried growing alasande and it does grow very easily. It does
              not require too much water too. You can use any alasande seed that you can
              get hold of, to start with.

              *It does not decay fast and the area covered by its leaves is not
              substantial compared to dicot plants like alasande (cowpea).

              Regards,
              Harish

              On 16 May 2013 10:13, praveen kumar jonnalagadda <

              Message 6 of 13 , May 16, 2013
                Jawar grow higher it compete with weeds,provide large amount of mulch,
                not required irrigation in rainy season,grow well in poor soil.
                Growing with Pigeon pea is traditional combination. Cow pea is also
                good nitrogen supplier can be mixed with Jawar combination.
                Mix all seeds and make seed ball and dibble balls or put balls under
                mulch in rainy season.
                Thanks
                Raju

              • leela d
                Message 7 of 13 , May 25, 2013
                  Hi
                  Vijay Rama Rao from Hyderabad has some native seeds, you can contact him on "SAVE". Society for Awareness and Vision on Environment.
                  Phone number 040-27654337, 64514336.

                  With best wishes
                  Leeladhar