Re: [fukuoka_farming] Huge Cucumber produce with natural farming way

  • Yugandhar S
    Message 1 of 14 , May 15, 2013
      Hi Sheo,

      Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
      bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
      conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.

      Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.

      Great going.
      Best Regards
      Yugandhar

      On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Sheo Narayan <farmingfunda@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Dear All,
      >
      > I want to share my Cucumber produce natural farming way.
      > http://www.rameshwari.com/2013/05/huge-cucumber-produce-with-natural.html
      >
      > I have not seen such a huge cucumber in my life till now.
      >
      > Natural farming and local seeds are the way to go.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Regards
      > Sheo Narayan "Farmer"

    • Webmaster, FarmingFunda.com
      Message 2 of 14 , May 15, 2013
        This one we have left for seed and it is almost two months old.

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 14 , May 15, 2013
          Hi Yug,

          Yes, I had purchased the seed from Biodiversity festival at Nampally.

          I am going to conserve the seed and this cucumber is for that purpose only.

          Thanks and should you have any more question, let me know.

          Regards

          On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

          > Hi Sheo,
          >
          > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
          > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
          > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
          >
          > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.
          >
          > Great going.
          > Best Regards
          > Yugandhar
          >

          > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Sheo Narayan <farmingfunda@...
          > >wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Dear All,
          > >
          > > I want to share my Cucumber produce natural farming way.
          > >
          > http://www.rameshwari.com/2013/05/huge-cucumber-produce-with-natural.html
          > >
          > > I have not seen such a huge cucumber in my life till now.
          > >
          > > Natural farming and local seeds are the way to go.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Regards
          > > Sheo Narayan "Farmer"

        • Harish Amur
          Message 4 of 14 , May 15, 2013
            Here is my question, which in no way is to dampen your efforts, "Is size
            and quantity of produce a measure of success? What about the unseen,
            the non-perceivable - such as the micro-nutrients in the produce or the
            lack of chemicals(*) etc.? Is success a good thing? For if we start going
            down that path, what is the difference? If we honour the usual yardsticks,
            then what is natural about natural farming?"

            By the way, mangoes are in season. Our mango trees have been issuing fruits
            naturally for the past 2 years. No fertilizers, no chemicals sprayed on the
            flowers (instead we sprayed jeevamruta) and no chemicals to hasten the
            ripening process. The yield has been low since we have not been able to
            water the trees and mulching is not to a desired level. I heard from an
            agricultural expert (chemical) that over mulching of mango trees is a good
            thing and that it helps in fighting a typical fruit deformity naturally!
            Some photos in my next posting.

            Regards,
            Harish

            *Although we have not used chemicals on our field, we have no control over
            the run-off chemicals via water/air from neighbouring fields. Further, the
            field has had fertilizers before we bought it. I am not sure as to how long
            it takes for the land to get rid of this irritant. What about rains? Don't
            they bring down pollutants in the air to the ground? I am also quite unsure
            about organic manure, such as farm yard manure and composted manure from
            outside - for the raw materials fed to create/prepare this manure can have
            chemicals. Even the jeevamruta that we produce can be adultrated.

            On 15 May 2013 19:01, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sheo,
            >
            > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
            > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
            > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
            >
            > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.
            >
            > Great going.
            > Best Regards
            > Yugandhar
            >

            > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Sheo Narayan <farmingfunda@...
            > >wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Dear All,
            > >
            > > I want to share my Cucumber produce natural farming way.
            > >
            > http://www.rameshwari.com/2013/05/huge-cucumber-produce-with-natural.html
            > >
            > > I have not seen such a huge cucumber in my life till now.
            > >
            > > Natural farming and local seeds are the way to go.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Regards
            > > Sheo Narayan "Farmer"

          • Ruthie Aquino
            Message 5 of 14 , May 16, 2013
              Dear Harish,
              I am so very glad you raised this point because when I harvest cucumbers or
              zucchini for example, I harvest them small.
              I find that the small, young ones give me more enjoyment than more mature
              fruits.
              Even in the matter of asparagus I pick them small and tender and pop them
              raw into my mouth.
              It is easy to fall into the trap of wanting to produce award-winning crops
              in terms of size and shape.
              However you are right to remind us that there is no discrimination in
              nature, just as Fukuoka said.
              Discrimination is man-made.
              If the food is natural then it is good.
              Happy farming.
              RUTHIE

            • Yugandhar S
              Message 6 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                Sheo, just today morning I was narrating to my parents about your cucumber.
                Guess what. Your cucumber is small compared to what they have seen grown in
                our native, which could easily weigh over 10Kg. My mother also narrated one
                funny incident where my aunt bought a very ripe cucumber and tried to make
                a dosa like dish (which they used to prepare) by mixing broken rice and
                jaggery just with half of it.She got her calculations wrong and had to mix
                so much of rice flour and jaggery, that they made many many dosas which
                even after distributing to all and sundry were left over. My relative grows
                cucumbers and what they eat and sell are very tender baby cucumbers which
                are almost 1 foot in size :-)

                Harish,
                I think Sheo just wants to share his happiness in seeing such a beauty
                grow in his field.

                Best Regards
                Yugandhar

                On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Webmaster, FarmingFunda.com <
                farmingfunda@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi Yug,
                >
                > Yes, I had purchased the seed from Biodiversity festival at Nampally.
                >
                > I am going to conserve the seed and this cucumber is for that purpose only.
                >
                > Thanks and should you have any more question, let me know.
                >
                > Regards
                >

                > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Sheo,
                > >
                > > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
                > > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
                > > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
                > >
                > > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.
                > >
                > > Great going.
                > > Best Regards
                > > Yugandhar
                > >

                > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Sheo Narayan <farmingfunda@...
                > > >wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                >

                > > > Dear All,
                > > >
                > > > I want to share my Cucumber produce natural farming way.
                > > >

                > http://www.rameshwari.com/2013/05/huge-cucumber-produce-with-natural.html
                > > >
                > > > I have not seen such a huge cucumber in my life till now.
                > > >
                > > > Natural farming and local seeds are the way to go.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks
                > > > Regards
                > > > Sheo Narayan "Farmer"

              • Harish Amur
                Message 7 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                  To clarify again, my response was not towards Sheo's post. It was a generic
                  question.

                  Regards,
                  Harish

                • Sheo Narayan
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                    Hi Yug....

                    Of course, might be. But I had not seen and even people from my farm village so they were shocked when they saw this.

                    Thanks

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

                    > Sheo, just today morning I was narrating to my parents about your cucumber.
                    > Guess what. Your cucumber is small compared to what they have seen grown in
                    > our native, which could easily weigh over 10Kg. My mother also narrated one
                    > funny incident where my aunt bought a very ripe cucumber and tried to make
                    > a dosa like dish (which they used to prepare) by mixing broken rice and
                    > jaggery just with half of it.She got her calculations wrong and had to mix
                    > so much of rice flour and jaggery, that they made many many dosas which
                    > even after distributing to all and sundry were left over. My relative grows
                    > cucumbers and what they eat and sell are very tender baby cucumbers which
                    > are almost 1 foot in size :-)
                    >
                    > Harish,
                    > I think Sheo just wants to share his happiness in seeing such a beauty
                    > grow in his field.
                    >
                    > Best Regards
                    > Yugandhar
                    >

                    > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Webmaster, FarmingFunda.com <
                    > farmingfunda@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Hi Yug,
                    > >
                    > > Yes, I had purchased the seed from Biodiversity festival at Nampally.
                    > >
                    > > I am going to conserve the seed and this cucumber is for that purpose only.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks and should you have any more question, let me know.
                    > >
                    > > Regards
                    > >

                    > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Hi Sheo,
                    > > >
                    > > > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
                    > > > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
                    > > > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
                    > > >
                    > > > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.
                    > > >
                    > > > Great going.
                    > > > Best Regards
                    > > > Yugandhar
                    > > >

                    > > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Sheo Narayan <farmingfunda@...

                    > > http://www.rameshwari.com/2013/05/huge-cucumber-produce-with-natural.html

                  • Sheo Narayan
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                      I understand from where Harish and Ruthie is coming from but I am neither into wanting more produce or award winning crops in terms of size of shapes.

                      I just got the seed from a local workshop in my city and they claimed that it is a domestic/desi variety and I showed them over trench. I didn't used any chemicals. However i had kept 2-3 times cow dung liquid that we call Jiwamrita.

                      Apart form that I have not done anything knowingly to increase the size or produce.

                      As I am not staying in my farm 24*7 so even I hardly see them. They take care of themselves.

                      Till now I have not weight or counted the vegetables we get from our farm, whatever is coming naturally i am happy with and enjoy their tastes. Luckily whenever I go to my farm, one or other thing we bring home. You can watch this video to see how my natural farm looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M8lqPGdHwk and what we are doing currently.

                      I hope it clarifies.

                      Thanks
                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > the run-off chemicals via water/air from neighbouring fields. Further, the
                      > > field has had fertilizers before we bought it. I am not sure as to how long
                      > > it takes for the land to get rid of this irritant. What about rains? Don't
                      > > they bring down pollutants in the air to the ground? I am also quite unsure
                      > > about organic manure, such as farm yard manure and composted manure from
                      > > outside - for the raw materials fed to create/prepare this manure can have
                      > > chemicals. Even the jeevamruta that we produce can be adultrated.
                      > >
                      > > On 15 May 2013 19:01, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Hi Sheo,
                      > > >
                      > > > Very nice to see this. As you mentioned in your blog, it looks like a big
                      > > > bottle gourd. Did you buy the seeds at Biodiversity festival? Please
                      > > > conserve the seeds carefully and multiply them.
                      > > >
                      > > > Your farm looks good even in this peak summer in Hyderabad.

                    • Ruthie Aquino
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                        Dear dear Sheo,
                        That cucumber is beautiful and of course my post was not meant to criticize
                        or comment on something I have not even touched or tasted.
                        It is but normal for any farmer to be proud of his produce be it big or
                        small. I am.
                        Sheo I feel that I have offended you but please I am not one to judge
                        fruits or animals or people.
                        My post was a general statement of principle, it just so happened I wrote
                        it under this thread.
                        More power to you. You have a lovely child.
                        RUTHIE

                      • Nandan Palaparambil
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 16, 2013
                          I keep hearing that Jeewamritha has lot of effects on the produce, even probably cowdung+urine alone might have this effect. I have seen people using it in the initial stages and later dropping it, since the effect at later stages may not be much.
                          I have heard some one commenting, the fruits from trees which is not watered tastes much better, not sure if this applies to organic manure also?

                          Regards,Nandan

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                            Dear Ruthie,

                            I am happy that you responded and believe me I didn't get offended.

                            Thanks for everything and keep suggesting/commenting.

                            You are very active in this group and of course we learn one or other thing
                            from your response.

                            Best regards
                            Sheo Narayan

                            Sheo Narayan "Farmer"