Re: First hand experience

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 13 , May 14, 2013
      I have been growing a homegarden of fruit-trees and wild vegetables in Thailand (near Bangkok). Even on that small scale I have implemented Natural farming. I will send details with photographs to this group later this week.

      My own rule-set has been:
      - Only plants (local/exotic) that are fully adapted to local soil / climate conditions
      - No irrigation (no need due to the first point)
      - Seedlings only. Seedlings seem to respond best to soils that may be initially poor, and can tolerate drought much better than grafted / air-layered fruit trees.

      Daniel

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, praveen kumar jonnalagadda <praveen_jonnalagadda@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      >    I am new to this group, I want to know if anybody in this group has implemented/practised Fukuoka-san's way of farming?
      >
      >  I bought land which is rainfed and want to start Fukuoka-san's method.
      >

      > Regards,
      > Praveen Kumar Jonnalagadda

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 13 , May 14, 2013
        It will be great if you can share some photos and details of the cultivation..
        Regards,Nandan

        Message 3 of 13 , May 15, 2013
          Hi Praveen,
          Welcome to the group. Where is your farm located?

          This group is mostly having people who do practice fukuoka farming. Some
          people have tried little variations. Natural farming is no text book rules.
          It will vary depending on your local conditions, but the four principles(
          if anybody wants to give some other name, you are most welcome) hold good
          in most cases, is my opinion. I am just an observer as of now. Not started
          farming yet.

          All the best.
          Yugandhar
          Hyderabad

          On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM, praveen kumar jonnalagadda <

          Message 4 of 13 , May 15, 2013
            Hi Yugandhar,

              My farm is in Anantapur district in AP, INDIA. I bought 4 Acres and it is still lying vacent. I am waiting for rains so that I can start by sowing jawar or some other for which I can get country seed.

              Any Idea where can I get country seed in Anantapur or in Bangalore? (I stay in bangalore)

            Regards,
            Praveen Kumar Jonnalagadda

            ________________________________
              Welcome to the group. Where is your farm located?

              This group is mostly having people who do practice fukuoka farming. Some
            people have tried little variations. Natural farming is no text book rules.
            It will vary depending on your local conditions, but the four principles(
            if anybody wants to give some other name, you are most welcome) hold good
            in most cases, is my opinion. I am just an observer as of now. Not started
            farming yet.

            All the best.
            Yugandhar
            Hyderabad

            On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM, praveen kumar jonnalagadda <
            praveen_jonnalagadda@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi All,
            >
            >    I am new to this group, I want to know if anybody in this group has
            > implemented/practised Fukuoka-san's way of farming?
            >
            >  I bought land which is rainfed and want to start Fukuoka-san's method.
            >

            > Regards,
            > Praveen Kumar Jonnalagadda

          • Harish Amur
            Message 5 of 13 , May 15, 2013
              The best source of local seeds is, in my experience, the local farming
              community. Jowar has multiple varieties. Some grow in the monsoon season
              (typically the red grain jowar), while some grow in the winter (hingari)
              season - the white grain variety. I tried to grow jowar (in about 1/2 acre
              land) naturally and failed. If you find some ways of growing it naturally
              please share.

              How about ragi and other millets? If the rains are heavy in your region,
              you can try various types of bean varieties, green gram, urad, mustard,
              soy(not a natural local variety, but helps in improving the fertility of
              the soil), jeera, sonf. All of these grow naturally easily.

              Sahaja Samruddha(http://www.sahajasamrudha.org) and Green Foundation(
              http://www.greenconserve.com/) can be approached for organic & local seeds.
              You can also try Annadana (http://annadana-seed.weebly.com/index.html) for
              vegetable seeds.

              All the best!

              Regards,
              Harish
              (Dharwad, North Karnataka)

              On 16 May 2013 09:25, praveen kumar jonnalagadda <

              Message 6 of 13 , May 15, 2013
                Hi Harish,

                  Thanks for the info. Anantapur receives a very low rainfall, lot of cultivation is done with the help of borewells. I want to start with someting so that fertility of land increases and I am not looking for any returns. If I can get seed for next year that should be enough for me. I am planning to grow jawar so that I can put it for mulching in the next season while sowing some millets or horse gram.

                Regards,

              • Raju Titus
                Message 7 of 13 , May 16, 2013
                  Growing Sorghum (Jwar)
                  Make seed ball of !/2 "dia. and dibble seed ball by hand making small
                  hole which cover seed ball. Make distance plant to plant about 1 feet.
                  You can take mixed crop by adding Pigion pea or many other seeds.
                  Thanks
                  Raju

                  rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
                • Harish Amur
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 16, 2013
                    In my opinion, Jowar being a monocot does not add too much to the soil, in
                    a manner that I understand soil. It also is not a good mulch*, compared to
                    dicots. I have tried growing alasande and it does grow very easily. It does
                    not require too much water too. You can use any alasande seed that you can
                    get hold of, to start with.

                    *It does not decay fast and the area covered by its leaves is not
                    substantial compared to dicot plants like alasande (cowpea).

                    Regards,
                    Harish

                    On 16 May 2013 10:13, praveen kumar jonnalagadda <

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 16, 2013
                      Jawar grow higher it compete with weeds,provide large amount of mulch,
                      not required irrigation in rainy season,grow well in poor soil.
                      Growing with Pigeon pea is traditional combination. Cow pea is also
                      good nitrogen supplier can be mixed with Jawar combination.
                      Mix all seeds and make seed ball and dibble balls or put balls under
                      mulch in rainy season.
                      Thanks
                      Raju

                    • leela d
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 25, 2013
                        Hi
                        Vijay Rama Rao from Hyderabad has some native seeds, you can contact him on "SAVE". Society for Awareness and Vision on Environment.
                        Phone number 040-27654337, 64514336.

                        With best wishes
                        Leeladhar