RE: [fukuoka_farming] Using waste hay as a garden mulch?

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 112 , Apr 24, 2013
      Hi David,

      Why don't you experiment and try each method on a section - even if it is
      quite small.

      The hay is pretty loose so I would just scatter them on top and then water
      if possible but then I am very lazy!

      When I was doing permaculture at a school I scattered kale seeds everywhere
      but the only ones that grew - with no attention and no watering ever - where
      the ones where a bale of hay had just rotted down over the previous 6
      months. Beautiful kale grew there and also some fat hen and clover from
      memory.

      Cheers, Linda

      Message 112 of 112 , Jun 16, 2013
        Not only does it retain moisture but the mulch rots down into compost and improves fertility. I think that feeding the soil is a much better idea than feeding the plants. We've been adding plants that mine minerals (lambsquarter, pigweed, yarrow, stinging nettle, red clover, Dutch white clover, etc), attract pollinators all through the growing season, attract predatory insects, confuse pests. Our preference is for perennials or self-seeding annuals and biennials. And we've stopped mowing the orchard although I do selective scything to suppress plants that we don't want. We're very early in the process but we can see some results - https://picasaweb.google.com/PortagePerennials/HolisticOrchard#5888913239729330466

        Regards,
        Mike