Re: [fukuoka_farming] Grown papaya successfully in the first year itself

  • Travellingatthespeedofthought
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
      Hey Natural Lovers,

      I have been away from the internet for a while but would like to share my experiences around growing papaya.

      I can't say enough good things about papaya.  It gives you fruit in the first year and is quite easy to grow.  Papaya is super nutritious and is a great addition to anyones diet.

      I also grow papaya, but just for my own family, however last year I had such great production I was able to share with all my neighbors.  From one tree I got about 300 kgs of papaya.  Considering that a papaya only takes up about 2 square feet of land, it is highly productive.  In permaculture we refer to papaya as a great example of natures "stacking" or "vertical growing".

      It is always hard to say exactly why things grow successfully, but I have one very simple, "natural" method I use for growing papaya.  Do you want to know what it is...

      Check out the photos of my papaya...

      Zac

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
        hi there
        green papaya is cooked as a vegetable in a ginger broth with or without
        chicken in the Philippines , and one of its advantages when cooked with
        meat is that it is a natural meat tenderizer.
        green papaya is also shredded and pickled with condiments and some carrot
        rounds cut to look like flowers to decorate the jar.
        in areas with an abundance of coconut trees it is cooked as a curry in
        coconut milk.
        best
        RUTHIE