Pitcher irrigation and earthworms

  • Yugandhar S
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24, 2013
      Dear all,
      Finally lots of small earthworms have appeared few months ago in
      undisturbed and rotting kitchen garbage on our terrace and also our balcony
      plant pots. I do not know from where they have appeared.

      So, my wife mixed some kitchen waste in the soil in a pot and introduced
      those baby earthworms. They started working. However, I noticed that the
      soil was drying quickly due to extreme temperatures. I thought that I need
      to cover the pot. Immediately I put a wet cloth over the pot. It provides
      darkness for the nocturnal worms and also prevents quick evaporation. The
      results were good. When I opened the cloth in the mornings I could see the
      worms at work. We threw some vegetable scraps and they were feeding the
      worms. Then I had another idea. I thought of trying pitcher irrigation!!! I
      found a small pot which can hardly hold 200 ml of water, buried it right in
      the middle of the pot and filled with water. Wonderful, the worms were
      dancing around the pot. They loved it. Cool and wet. After some days, they
      would not appear frequently. The soil was transforming like anything!!
      small granular structures all over. Meanwhile, I was reading about
      earthworms/vermicompost and realized that the varieties which come to
      surface at night and feed need food on the surface, not inside. They
      actually take the food inside Aah!! got it. I added few more scraps of
      vegetables. What happened...again i can see my friends in the mornings
      eating merrily.

      I understood that pitcher irrigation works great. It cools the surrounding
      area and earthworms are attracted towards it.
      They need food on the surface to come and eat just like the natural leaf
      mulch in forest.
      Soil is changed so much by the action of the earthworms.

      Those were some of my humble observations.

      --Yug

    • Linda
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24, 2013
        Great experimentation Yug! It is incredible where worms seem to turn up -
        how do they get there?

        In hot places burying terracotta pots up to their rim and filling with water
        is a really effective way of watering and keeping the soil cooler. Put a lid
        on the pot or cover as you describe to reduce evaporation and all the water
        slowly seeps into the soil.

        Linda

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2013
          My home has a garbage pit since it has been built, over 35 years ago. We
          throw dry leaves, flowers, paper, vegetable waste etc into it. After about
          6-9 months we get fantastic compost. Since there are a few trees that
          surround the pit and it is situated in the backyard, we do not get any
          smell. The compost is made further good by rodents and mongooses which dig
          into the surrounding soils in search of insects and earthworms. The soil
          mixed with the compost in regular intervals of time, I have heard, adds to
          the richness of the compost.

          I have been thinking about paper though, since it has lead in it. However
          it does not seem to have harmed the worms last time around.

          While using the compost this year, (recently) I made a mistake. I put the
          earthworms that I found in the compost into pots and that was a disaster.
          They all came out of the pots and died. Next time, I will ensure that I
          will put those worms back into the garbage pit!

          Earthern pots are one of the best way to water. I have heard about a lot of
          experiments that have been done using this technique. I am yet to take up
          one. I have even heard of large earthen pipes that hold water.

          Regards,
          Harish

        • Yugandhar S
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2013
            Yes Linda, I am learning few things by observing.

            Harish, good to know your observations. Once i brought 4 earthworms picked
            up from the road during heavy rain and put them in a pot. They were all
            entangled and i went inside for a few seconds. Afterwards i did not see
            them again. I thought some bird or lizard must have eaten them. Another
            time, one worm just roamed on the surface for one whole day and
            disappeared. But this time, there are baby worms born locally. They are
            fine.

            Regards
            Yugandhar