Re: [fukuoka_farming] Grown papaya successfully in the first year itself

  • Bobby Ray
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 18, 2013
      Greetings,

      I lived in India with poor Indian families for 6 months. I ate what they
      ate and drank what they drank ...
      except I bought the entire family 5gallon/20 liter jugs of water for 35
      rupees. We all drank that water.
      I went one step further when my host family's lady in charge got sick from
      arsenic poisoning, I got the
      family a Berkey water filter system with the add-on cartridges to deal with
      arsenic and heavy metals.
      She was very sick and I took over some of her duties in the kitchen which
      later she told me was totally
      unexpected. They never expected me to wash dishes and help wash clothes.

      I never considered Indians to be dirty people. Everywhere I saw running
      water I saw folks washing.
      Even in the railway stations where water was flowing in a stream there were
      always people washing.
      My concern was that people were washing in the water others were drinking.

      What I never saw was a naked adult bathing but I did see boys naked under
      corner street faucets.
      In China away from the cities driving down a road you would find naked
      folks bathing. I visited a government
      hospital in KGF and was impressed that ladies ward was neat and orderly but
      the bathing and latrine area was not.
      IN a Chinese provincial hospital where I did some nursing, you had men and
      women and children all together
      and there was zero privacy. In China families are expected to bathe,
      provide personal care and feed their family
      members. When you have a dozen in the same room that makes for zero
      privacy.

      In both rural
      China and India, you had to watch your step as folks defecated anywhere and
      in India even in government office
      courtyards. In some cultures folks carry a shovel but not in India. In
      India it is squat and run. Many times at night
      I would drive around a curve and find a person squatting bare butt on the
      road side.
      In China I was riding with a Chinese friend and
      we stopped at a bus terminal and there were signs indicating restrooms ...
      that was not always the case ... but
      my friend and half a dozen other men took about 3 steps away from the bus
      and pissed away as the rest of the
      bus load of passengers passed by close enough to bump them. In India on
      one bus trip to Chittour from KGF,
      our bus driver stopped the bus at a stop in town walked about 30 steps to a
      bridge over a creek on the cross
      street and pissed away into the water with zero concern about such things
      totally visible to all on that side of the bus.

      As for concerns about children dying from polluted water .. your comment
      reflects some that I heard in
      India ... why change things? What good would it do. A local politician
      took a totally different viewpoint as
      his concerns were like mine. He said, "Indians would rather have free
      color TVs and cell phones rather
      than safe drinking water for their children." I attended many funerals in
      India and I never ceased to be
      amazed at how many children died. In the KGF so many children died that
      some parents did not name the
      child till its first birthday. I did attend baby naming services. And
      lots of memorial services for deceased.

      Also I did visit a water treatment plant in KGF that was built by the
      British. It was at 100 years old. Some of the equipment was not working so
      the water bypassed the huge sediment
      sand filters. I noticed a phone booth there that had USA made equipment
      that was
      dated 1923. To be honest that really surprised me. It was a British style
      phone booth but with American
      equipment.

      I first got started doing sanitation training as I was part of the relief
      effort in China 2008 when the Sichuan Earthquake
      happened. Survivors were still being dug out of the rubble when I
      arrived. officially 79,000 people died with another
      20,000 still listed as missing even though their villages were totally
      buried in land slides. Water sanitation was a
      serious concern in the refugee camps. I was in China when the earthquake
      happened and since my friends knew that
      I had been involved with the relief effort in Los Angeles with the
      Northridge earthquake 1994, I was asked what they
      could do to help. #1 was clean water. #2 was flashlights as huge areas
      were without power and 10 MILLION were
      made homeless. Lots of folks got hurt going back to their damaged homes
      and fumbling and falling in the dark. It was the
      same in Northridge except many folks had working cars. In Sichuan vehicles
      were scarce in the rural areas. Even in
      the city the entire 6 months I was in China my #1 means of transpartation
      was a bicycle. I also used a bicycle in India,
      but we also had access to a Suzuki 1200cc microvan. I even taught my host
      how to drive and he was able to get a driver's
      license.

      I have been asked to return to India but my host when I was there has asked
      me to go to Cambodia to visit a group that
      teaches how to build long life low cost water filters. He would like to
      start a business making and selling them as a public
      service. I have made contact with two different groups that have two
      different ways to cheaply purify water. Where I was
      in KGF we only had power for a couple hours most days. That makes it more
      challenging to purify water. I am a fan of
      solar cooking and that is one way to heat water to kill pathogens. Filters
      remove them also. Most of south asia has problems
      with arsenic and heavy metals in the water supply. KGF because of the gold
      mining has even greater problems. Using
      Google earth you can see huge areas where mine tailings were dumped and
      even 60 years after the British quit gold mining -
      nothing grows in some of those areas. Why should anyone today care? Those
      folks have lived with that problem for
      almost two hundred years. Well I do care. It gives me good Karma in
      places where lots of bad Karma exists. Arsenic and
      other things have gotten into the food chain as well as the water. It is a
      serious health issue.

      Bobby Ray ... one who cares ... I believe we should feed the hungry, heal
      the sick, and clothe the naked.
      I make an attempt to do what I can. I am reminded that when I was in
      Chittour, we passed a poor man that had just been
      injured. He was using a dirty plastic bag to wipe up the blood ...
      another problem in India is the plastic bags blowing in the wind
      everywhere - in the old days paper could be burned for heat.
      I asked the driver to stop so we could help him ... He kept driving. So
      sad ... so few care. Not my caste, not my problem.
      Indians are so smart and intelligent ... it seems a shame to waste so much
      of that. 99% of the time I was treated very
      kindly by Indians. Twice, I did I have problems from the same Muslim
      man. On the far side of Karnataka going west, I also
      ran into problems with a Hindu militant that was concerned that I was
      visiting a local tribal group because they had invited me.
      He had me arrested and I was detained for many hours before I was
      released. I made it back to the tribal village and they
      hid me because they expected more trouble ... and they were right.

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19, 2013
        Dear Bobby
        Thanks for sharing.
        What a moving thing to discover there are modern-day people like you who
        work without judging those you try to help.
        Best regards,
        RUTHIE

      • Travellingatthespeedofthought
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
          Hey Natural Lovers,

          I have been away from the internet for a while but would like to share my experiences around growing papaya.

          I can't say enough good things about papaya.  It gives you fruit in the first year and is quite easy to grow.  Papaya is super nutritious and is a great addition to anyones diet.

          I also grow papaya, but just for my own family, however last year I had such great production I was able to share with all my neighbors.  From one tree I got about 300 kgs of papaya.  Considering that a papaya only takes up about 2 square feet of land, it is highly productive.  In permaculture we refer to papaya as a great example of natures "stacking" or "vertical growing".

          It is always hard to say exactly why things grow successfully, but I have one very simple, "natural" method I use for growing papaya.  Do you want to know what it is...

          Check out the photos of my papaya...

          Zac

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
            hi there
            green papaya is cooked as a vegetable in a ginger broth with or without
            chicken in the Philippines , and one of its advantages when cooked with
            meat is that it is a natural meat tenderizer.
            green papaya is also shredded and pickled with condiments and some carrot
            rounds cut to look like flowers to decorate the jar.
            in areas with an abundance of coconut trees it is cooked as a curry in
            coconut milk.
            best
            RUTHIE