Grown papaya successfully in the first year itself

  • Raghava Aikanthika
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 26 12:56 AM
      Kailash Murthy, a friend of mine & a
      natural farmer from Karnataka state,India, has grown papaya successfully in
      the first year itself.
      An article of the same appeared in the local language kannada newspaper.

      http://epapervijayavani.in/Details.aspx?id=4762&boxid=584453

      Raghava,
      Davangere, Karnataka, India.
      +91 94489 23773.

    • Yugandhar S
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 26 1:07 AM
        Raghava, thanks for sharing this. Had been to his farm. Still got pending
        invitations from him and Raju sir to visit their farms and stay for 3 or 4
        days with family ;-)

        Anyway, I was about to write personally to you. I request you to share your
        knowledge in NF here on this forum. People have issues and questions.
        Please share your experiences and observations here.

        Also if possible, please share the key points from that article in english
        here, for every ones benefit.

        Love
        Yugandhar

        On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Raghava Aikanthika <aikanthika@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Kailash Murthy, a friend of mine & a
        > natural farmer from Karnataka state,India, has grown papaya successfully
        > in
        > the first year itself.
        > An article of the same appeared in the local language kannada newspaper.
        >
        > http://epapervijayavani.in/Details.aspx?id=4762&boxid=584453
        >
        > Raghava,
        > Davangere, Karnataka, India.
        > +91 94489 23773.

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 27 7:15 PM
          Raghava,
          This looks pretty impressive. I think Kailashamurthy also has been natural farming for more than 20 years? I am not able to read the text, but picture of the plastic drums tells that he is using 'Jeewamritham or some such cow dung/cow urine based preparation.
          Also does he uses Mucuna as the cover crop? From the video available in the youtube showed some such plant.

          Regards,Nandan

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 17, 2013
            i have attached a photo of 'Aikanthika', showing first yield of a local variety Papaya fruit plant grown in NF, not planted, came up naturally.

            Also, you can see the same photo in the below link.
            https://plus.google.com/photos/102110589050296537282/albums/5867848977320207713?banner=pwa

            Raghava,
            Davangere, Karnataka, India.
            +91 94489 23773.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17, 2013
              I was in Kolar Gold Fields - a couple km away from Kata Linga (Many nights
              we could hear their activities.) and my farmer neighbor regularly had first
              year crop Papayas. Very tasty too! He brought them to us regularly.

              We were unable to talk to each other directly as he didn't know English and
              he spoke Tamil/Telegu but we played chess in the hottest part of
              every afternoon when he was working his fields. Cows ate his garden and he
              started to put of a fence and the village got angry .. but somehow
              they reached and agreement or he went ahead and did it and put up a fence.
              At first we were able to chase the starving cows out of our garden but they
              were very persistent as we had the only green spot around. Our garden got
              eaten regularly and we put up a fence ... funny we
              had Granite fence posts that cost us about $1.25US each. At first we did
              not have money for barbed wire but I got a 1000 feet of poly rope cheap
              and that worked for a while. Finally we got used barbed wire in Bangalore
              and put it up. That worked great until the goats figured out how to
              get in. We redid the fence and low and behold ... we had crows and
              ravens. Out of our first garden we only got a few pumpkins. The birds
              were
              agressive in eating what we planted. Also there were rats. Fortunately
              we had active hawks in the area maybe they were small eagles ...
              We saw them catching rats. One which caught a rat had a mid air encounter
              and dropped its rat. It did not survive the fall - its belly was ripped
              open.

              I look forward to returning to KGF. I also was doing fish culture there.
              One person commented that he had never seen a white man work ... after I
              used a pick to break up the rock hard ground. Another said it was funny to
              see an old white man wearing only a lungee chasing cows. Such is life in
              India ... I lived just like the locals except we had a phone, internet and
              a flush toilet. I was there 6 months and before that I was in China for 6
              months. In both rural areas I was involved in teaching sanitation - health
              practices ... ten items in our course from hand washing to birthing
              procedures and we encouraged villages to build "Tibetian Toilets" ... but
              we never saw that happen. OUr major emphasis was on water purity and not
              doing things that would pollute drinking water. Our water came from a
              seasonal lake and villagers let their cattle get into it regularly. They
              also bathed in it and washed clothes there too. No wonder so many children
              die. Part of our health course taught how to treat children with digestive
              system distress. Many parents stop giving water to children when they have
              the "runs" That is the wrong thing to do as the children die of
              dehydration. Even in our house with a flush toilet and a water system on
              the roof - 3 generations of women several of the ladies preferred to
              relieve themselves outside in the field especially at night. At night, I
              often pissed in the garden as I didn't want to disturb others and fresh
              urine diluted 5-1 with water makes a good free fertilizer. So does fish
              water from raising fish. That waste water is excellent. Our plants loved
              it.

              Of course Indians don't often use picks. The largest pick I could find was
              what I would call lady-sized. I did like the Indian style shovel and next
              trip I will bring one home for my garden use. My Indian friends who helped
              me with the garden perferred a "digging bar." For me that was harder.
              Recently I have been reading interesting things about growing food in soil
              beds at www.growfood.com which is tied into www.foodforeveryone.org These
              folks even grow gardens on roof tops and in parking lots. I love visiting
              other folks gardens. I welcome invitations as I travel all over the USA.
              I live in Southern California in the low desert at 750 feet / 275 meters
              altitude. Last year I grew a garden with almost no water usage. It was my
              most productive garden yet but it was lots of prep work. I went back east
              and came back and was amazed that I still had a garden as the summer heat
              kills everything. I had planted squash seeds from a huge tasty squash and
              those seeds
              produced plants with huge leaves that shaded everything. I had also
              prepared the ground two feet deep and had added gypsum as we get less than
              20 inches (1/2 meter) a year. from a very small garden we had more than we
              could eat. Even my neighbors were over picking tomatoes hidden by the
              squash leaves. Onions and strawberries also survived as did some
              potatoes. I only discovered the potatoes after a couple 25 degree nights
              killed the squash. We pulled them and next frost killed everything else
              ... maybe that was bad choice. Still I love gardening. It keeps me
              healthy ... partially because of the physical work and partially because of
              the good safe food it produces.

              Bobby Ray ... hoping to meet you some time as I travel.

              On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Raghava Aikanthika
              <aikanthika@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Kailash Murthy, a friend of mine & a
              > natural farmer from Karnataka state,India, has grown papaya successfully
              > in
              > the first year itself.
              > An article of the same appeared in the local language kannada newspaper.
              >
              > http://epapervijayavani.in/Details.aspx?id=4762&boxid=584453
              >
              > Raghava,
              > Davangere, Karnataka, India.
              > +91 94489 23773.

            • Sumant Joshi
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 17, 2013
                Hi Bobby , from your account, you sound like a drifting farmer of gardens and it was nice to read about your travels and travails. I have been associated with an NGO working with village people fro the last 3 years and I have a few comments to make.

                I think most of us city dwellers and more so, foreign "white" people, go into Indian villages thinking they will teach these dirty people a thing or two about sanitation. Yes, in many ways it makes sense and will achieve a lot in terms of children dying unnecessarily by following such simple practices as washing hands.

                But what I have realized is that anything people are taught is basically supplanting new memes into a culture which already has others which have survived for a long time and are time tested. whether it is defecating in the open or adopting sustainable farming practices or something as simple and obvious as the value of learning to read and write.

                And memes change very very slowly and sometimes it is too late. I doubt prohibiting people defecating in the open makes sense as long as a logic is followed which does not contaminate ground water.

                There was a time when people thought forests belonged to them until the British change the law and nationalized all forests. today the law has changed back but people can't believe that forests can and do belong to the village. The result? severe drought in central India despite average rainfall. I can sense the impending collapse. unless these intrinsic fault lines are addressed, we could be heading into very difficult times indeed.

                Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

                Warm regards,

                Sumant Joshi
                Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

              • Bobby Ray
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Greetings,

                  I lived in India with poor Indian families for 6 months. I ate what they
                  ate and drank what they drank ...
                  except I bought the entire family 5gallon/20 liter jugs of water for 35
                  rupees. We all drank that water.
                  I went one step further when my host family's lady in charge got sick from
                  arsenic poisoning, I got the
                  family a Berkey water filter system with the add-on cartridges to deal with
                  arsenic and heavy metals.
                  She was very sick and I took over some of her duties in the kitchen which
                  later she told me was totally
                  unexpected. They never expected me to wash dishes and help wash clothes.

                  I never considered Indians to be dirty people. Everywhere I saw running
                  water I saw folks washing.
                  Even in the railway stations where water was flowing in a stream there were
                  always people washing.
                  My concern was that people were washing in the water others were drinking.

                  What I never saw was a naked adult bathing but I did see boys naked under
                  corner street faucets.
                  In China away from the cities driving down a road you would find naked
                  folks bathing. I visited a government
                  hospital in KGF and was impressed that ladies ward was neat and orderly but
                  the bathing and latrine area was not.
                  IN a Chinese provincial hospital where I did some nursing, you had men and
                  women and children all together
                  and there was zero privacy. In China families are expected to bathe,
                  provide personal care and feed their family
                  members. When you have a dozen in the same room that makes for zero
                  privacy.

                  In both rural
                  China and India, you had to watch your step as folks defecated anywhere and
                  in India even in government office
                  courtyards. In some cultures folks carry a shovel but not in India. In
                  India it is squat and run. Many times at night
                  I would drive around a curve and find a person squatting bare butt on the
                  road side.
                  In China I was riding with a Chinese friend and
                  we stopped at a bus terminal and there were signs indicating restrooms ...
                  that was not always the case ... but
                  my friend and half a dozen other men took about 3 steps away from the bus
                  and pissed away as the rest of the
                  bus load of passengers passed by close enough to bump them. In India on
                  one bus trip to Chittour from KGF,
                  our bus driver stopped the bus at a stop in town walked about 30 steps to a
                  bridge over a creek on the cross
                  street and pissed away into the water with zero concern about such things
                  totally visible to all on that side of the bus.

                  As for concerns about children dying from polluted water .. your comment
                  reflects some that I heard in
                  India ... why change things? What good would it do. A local politician
                  took a totally different viewpoint as
                  his concerns were like mine. He said, "Indians would rather have free
                  color TVs and cell phones rather
                  than safe drinking water for their children." I attended many funerals in
                  India and I never ceased to be
                  amazed at how many children died. In the KGF so many children died that
                  some parents did not name the
                  child till its first birthday. I did attend baby naming services. And
                  lots of memorial services for deceased.

                  Also I did visit a water treatment plant in KGF that was built by the
                  British. It was at 100 years old. Some of the equipment was not working so
                  the water bypassed the huge sediment
                  sand filters. I noticed a phone booth there that had USA made equipment
                  that was
                  dated 1923. To be honest that really surprised me. It was a British style
                  phone booth but with American
                  equipment.

                  I first got started doing sanitation training as I was part of the relief
                  effort in China 2008 when the Sichuan Earthquake
                  happened. Survivors were still being dug out of the rubble when I
                  arrived. officially 79,000 people died with another
                  20,000 still listed as missing even though their villages were totally
                  buried in land slides. Water sanitation was a
                  serious concern in the refugee camps. I was in China when the earthquake
                  happened and since my friends knew that
                  I had been involved with the relief effort in Los Angeles with the
                  Northridge earthquake 1994, I was asked what they
                  could do to help. #1 was clean water. #2 was flashlights as huge areas
                  were without power and 10 MILLION were
                  made homeless. Lots of folks got hurt going back to their damaged homes
                  and fumbling and falling in the dark. It was the
                  same in Northridge except many folks had working cars. In Sichuan vehicles
                  were scarce in the rural areas. Even in
                  the city the entire 6 months I was in China my #1 means of transpartation
                  was a bicycle. I also used a bicycle in India,
                  but we also had access to a Suzuki 1200cc microvan. I even taught my host
                  how to drive and he was able to get a driver's
                  license.

                  I have been asked to return to India but my host when I was there has asked
                  me to go to Cambodia to visit a group that
                  teaches how to build long life low cost water filters. He would like to
                  start a business making and selling them as a public
                  service. I have made contact with two different groups that have two
                  different ways to cheaply purify water. Where I was
                  in KGF we only had power for a couple hours most days. That makes it more
                  challenging to purify water. I am a fan of
                  solar cooking and that is one way to heat water to kill pathogens. Filters
                  remove them also. Most of south asia has problems
                  with arsenic and heavy metals in the water supply. KGF because of the gold
                  mining has even greater problems. Using
                  Google earth you can see huge areas where mine tailings were dumped and
                  even 60 years after the British quit gold mining -
                  nothing grows in some of those areas. Why should anyone today care? Those
                  folks have lived with that problem for
                  almost two hundred years. Well I do care. It gives me good Karma in
                  places where lots of bad Karma exists. Arsenic and
                  other things have gotten into the food chain as well as the water. It is a
                  serious health issue.

                  Bobby Ray ... one who cares ... I believe we should feed the hungry, heal
                  the sick, and clothe the naked.
                  I make an attempt to do what I can. I am reminded that when I was in
                  Chittour, we passed a poor man that had just been
                  injured. He was using a dirty plastic bag to wipe up the blood ...
                  another problem in India is the plastic bags blowing in the wind
                  everywhere - in the old days paper could be burned for heat.
                  I asked the driver to stop so we could help him ... He kept driving. So
                  sad ... so few care. Not my caste, not my problem.
                  Indians are so smart and intelligent ... it seems a shame to waste so much
                  of that. 99% of the time I was treated very
                  kindly by Indians. Twice, I did I have problems from the same Muslim
                  man. On the far side of Karnataka going west, I also
                  ran into problems with a Hindu militant that was concerned that I was
                  visiting a local tribal group because they had invited me.
                  He had me arrested and I was detained for many hours before I was
                  released. I made it back to the tribal village and they
                  hid me because they expected more trouble ... and they were right.

                • Ruthie Aquino
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 19, 2013
                    Dear Bobby
                    Thanks for sharing.
                    What a moving thing to discover there are modern-day people like you who
                    work without judging those you try to help.
                    Best regards,
                    RUTHIE

                  • Travellingatthespeedofthought
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                      Hey Natural Lovers,

                      I have been away from the internet for a while but would like to share my experiences around growing papaya.

                      I can't say enough good things about papaya.  It gives you fruit in the first year and is quite easy to grow.  Papaya is super nutritious and is a great addition to anyones diet.

                      I also grow papaya, but just for my own family, however last year I had such great production I was able to share with all my neighbors.  From one tree I got about 300 kgs of papaya.  Considering that a papaya only takes up about 2 square feet of land, it is highly productive.  In permaculture we refer to papaya as a great example of natures "stacking" or "vertical growing".

                      It is always hard to say exactly why things grow successfully, but I have one very simple, "natural" method I use for growing papaya.  Do you want to know what it is...

                      Check out the photos of my papaya...

                      Zac

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
                        hi there
                        green papaya is cooked as a vegetable in a ginger broth with or without
                        chicken in the Philippines , and one of its advantages when cooked with
                        meat is that it is a natural meat tenderizer.
                        green papaya is also shredded and pickled with condiments and some carrot
                        rounds cut to look like flowers to decorate the jar.
                        in areas with an abundance of coconut trees it is cooked as a curry in
                        coconut milk.
                        best
                        RUTHIE