RE: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Allan Savory: How to green the world's deserts and reverse climate change

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 112 , Mar 24 4:02 PM
      Google ‘biodegradable plastic for farming’ and you will find it is available. They till it into the soil at the end of a season and of course we wouldn’t do that, but we could certainly shred and compost it, or simply cut holes and plant seeds or seedlings until the plastic degrades itself over time.

      Cheers, Linda

      Message 112 of 112 , Jun 16, 2013
        Not only does it retain moisture but the mulch rots down into compost and improves fertility. I think that feeding the soil is a much better idea than feeding the plants. We've been adding plants that mine minerals (lambsquarter, pigweed, yarrow, stinging nettle, red clover, Dutch white clover, etc), attract pollinators all through the growing season, attract predatory insects, confuse pests. Our preference is for perennials or self-seeding annuals and biennials. And we've stopped mowing the orchard although I do selective scything to suppress plants that we don't want. We're very early in the process but we can see some results - https://picasaweb.google.com/PortagePerennials/HolisticOrchard#5888913239729330466

        Regards,
        Mike