Re: [fukuoka_farming] Establishing Cover Crops (Was Allan Savory: How to green the world's deserts)

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 112 , Mar 23, 2013
      Hi Ruthie,
      Rajuji is able to enjoy the success now, but the he has been doing natural farming for more than 25 years and the field would be really fertile now. Most of the people who are failing is in their initial years, probably we will also be successful after a number of years and will be able to do rice/wheat farming with just weeds. What is important is how to succeed when you first get into natural farming, if this is not successful many people won't follow natural farming.
      I am sure, people who are failing or finding it tough is genuinely reporting that. So we should be considerate and help those who are struggling with natural farming, including myself.

      Regards,Nandan

      Message 112 of 112 , Jun 16, 2013
        Not only does it retain moisture but the mulch rots down into compost and improves fertility. I think that feeding the soil is a much better idea than feeding the plants. We've been adding plants that mine minerals (lambsquarter, pigweed, yarrow, stinging nettle, red clover, Dutch white clover, etc), attract pollinators all through the growing season, attract predatory insects, confuse pests. Our preference is for perennials or self-seeding annuals and biennials. And we've stopped mowing the orchard although I do selective scything to suppress plants that we don't want. We're very early in the process but we can see some results - https://picasaweb.google.com/PortagePerennials/HolisticOrchard#5888913239729330466

        Regards,
        Mike