Re: [fukuoka_farming] pedal threshers

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 10, 2002
      At Tuesday, 10 December 2002, Justin wrote:

      >Larry, I think it was on the introduction page where it gave an e-mail
      >address, and said you could ask him to send a zip file of the whole
      lot.
      >That sounds like the solution. If you would have the space for it
      on the
      >site, then that could be the best way to make it available. And
      this is the
      >way Fukuoka did his threshing, isn't it. Sounds like a worthwhile
      resource.
      >Justin.

      Sounds like a good idea Justin. Email request/invitation is already
      on the way. While we wait for a response, if you don't mind cookies
      you can download files from the anytimenow.com site and then upload
      them to my domain's anonymous ftp folder.

      For those of you not familiar with "ftp", it's a way to transfer
      files from one computer to another without going through any logins
      or other such mechanisms. Most operating sytems come with the ability
      built in. Windows XP, which is what I use, is particularly friendly.
      Looks just like transferring files from one folder to another in
      windows explorer.

      I set up an anonymous ftp directory on my domain (www.larryhaftl.
      com) that will accept uploaded files from anyone without needing
      a password. The files go into a dark hole accessible only by me where
      they are intensively scanned for viruses and other unpleasant things
      using literally the most current virus and trojan detection software.
      Then, when I'm sure they won't blow up in my or anyone else's face,
      I move them to the "pub" directory where anyone can download them
      from at any time (again, without requiring a password).

      It's similar to what Yahoo does, but without demanding those %#$^&#^
      cookies be set before access is granted, and access is not limited
      to only Yahoo registered people. ANyone in the world with access
      to the internet can get them at any time with no hassles. Pretty
      much the way the whole website works.

      Anyway, if you or anyone wants to do that to those files, then go
      ahead. Or other files for that matter. The only limitations are that
      whatever you upload needs to be appropriate (no porn, thanks, I get
      enough offers for that stuff in my spam mail box), and you must have
      the right to distribute it (copyright holder's permission). If Alex
      Weir has made them freely available for download without restrictions,
      that pretty much gives you implied consent to distribute them (usually
      so long as you don't sell them).

      So if you are inclined, go much some cookies while you down and up
      load everything you think might be of some use. :)

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://larryhaftl.com
      http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
    • Robert Waldrop
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 10, 2002
        I had the same problem with the htm files. I went to the home page,
        linked at the top, and found links to the htm link page, but also a
        note that you could go elsewhere and put in a code and get access to
        downloadable zip files. Those are there, I downloaded them all last
        night. A lot of documents, but basically they are all pictures of the
        finished equipment or diagrams of the parts. I haven't come across
        anything that looks like a construction sequence or instructions,
        however. I intend to pursue this as I think this is very important
        information. In our work with farmers, regarding beans and cereal
        crops, harvesting is listed as the number one problem for the small
        farmer.

        Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2002
          I managed to download them last night, using netscape, they are all
          zipped files. I could send the zip files to you via email if you
          like. Or to anyone else (I will probably wait a day or two for
          requests to come in so I can send them all in one batch, I downloaded
          10 zipped files totalling at least a couple of megabytes. There were
          8 listed as "pedal power" and 2 listed as "thresher".

          Robert Waldrop, OKC

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2002
            I downloaded a bunch of files yesterday by just
            copying
            the user ID or whatever (no quotes) in the clipboard
            and
            paste it where they ask you for it,then type password
            and
            click files button on the left. I honestly tried hard
            not
            to judge all that information but it looks to me maybe
            little bit too difficult to implement ,especially in a

            poor country or without much knowledge ,help or tools.
            Make sure you delete all cookies after that ;-)
            Thanks a lot for the link anyways.I used to spend
            hours
            searching for such plans without any result.I also
            learned
            that you can get some plans from IRRI (International
            Rice
            Research Institute) ,requested some from their website
            and
            still waiting for them to come with the snail mail.
            I don't mind dealing with big re$earch guy$ ;-)

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Robert Waldrop
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 10, 2002
              It is a great resource, but it seems to me that without a construction
              sequence or other instructions for putting these things together, one
              would have to be a pretty advanced tinkerer to figure them out.

              Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City

              >Larry, I think it was on the introduction page where it gave an
              e-mail
              >address, and said you could ask him to send a zip file of the whole
              lot.
              >That sounds like the solution. If you would have the space for it on
              the
              >site, then that could be the best way to make it available. And this
              is the
              >way Fukuoka did his threshing, isn't it. Sounds like a worthwhile
              resource.
              >Justin.

            • Sean Phelan
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 11, 2002
                Just for the record, folks.

                Cookies do not pose an Internet Security threat anymore (if they ever really
                did), as long as you're using a reasonably new browser and keep the patches
                up-to-date. (anyone using IE, just do a Windows Update, Netscape has a
                SmartUpdate service that does the same thing)

                I'm an IT professional, and work with hundreds of other ones, and we're all
                in agreement on this.

                Sp
                Sean Phelan
                Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense... Solutions that
                work.
                http://www.sqcn.com
                mailto:SPhelan@...
                http://www.TheSCIA.Org - Proud Member of the Space Coast Internet Alliance
                (321) 984-0211
              • M1021V115@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 14, 2002
                  In a message dated 12/11/2002 4:08:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  yahoo@... writes:

                  please stop sending me this stuff take my nameoff your email thanks