Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Allan Savory: How to green the world's deserts and reverse climate change

  • Alan Sloan
    Message 1 of 112 , Mar 17, 2013
      Whoops, I gave you a whole load more guff by mistake about quitting smoking
      just now before I read this!
      I'll shut up now. 11.23 here,
      Good night !

      On 17 March 2013 19:02, trenthillsmike <trenthillsca@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Thanks Allan. I also quit smoking (back in the mid 80s). I agree with you
      > about how your outlook changes. I was raising the personal weight issue (to
      > clarify, I'm mainstream North American obese) as a example at the
      > individual level of why civilizations don't change behaviour or activities
      > even when they may know that they should.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Alan Sloan <alan851603@...> wrote:
      >
      > Mike,
      >
      > One thing I discovered when I gave up smoking was to change a whole lot if
      > different stuff about my life at the same time, I changed jobs, went in a
      > residential course and started running. With all that gong on not smoking
      > became a detail.
      >
      > You don't sound too worried about your weight and let's face it there are
      > worse problems but get this- when I changed from the smoking habit to other
      > things, my attitude to life changed and the world became really more fun to
      > be in. I can only describe the mental feeling as sitting on the surface of
      > a soap bubble, scary and exciting knowing it could burst any time. It was a
      > real good move for me!
      >
      > People mention the move to Natural Farming changing their lives, and I
      > imagine this is a similar exhilaration, but imagine if whole societies move
      > over to NF rapidly, all that energy!
      >
      > Alan

    • trenthillsmike
      Message 112 of 112 , Jun 16, 2013
        Not only does it retain moisture but the mulch rots down into compost and improves fertility. I think that feeding the soil is a much better idea than feeding the plants. We've been adding plants that mine minerals (lambsquarter, pigweed, yarrow, stinging nettle, red clover, Dutch white clover, etc), attract pollinators all through the growing season, attract predatory insects, confuse pests. Our preference is for perennials or self-seeding annuals and biennials. And we've stopped mowing the orchard although I do selective scything to suppress plants that we don't want. We're very early in the process but we can see some results - https://picasaweb.google.com/PortagePerennials/HolisticOrchard#5888913239729330466

        Regards,
        Mike