Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Allan Savory: How to green the world's deserts and reverse climate change

  • Alan Sloan
    Message 1 of 112 , Mar 17, 2013
      Mike - maybe the solution is NOT you, at least in the sense that you are
      currently you!

      The solution may be being a different person, or finding another person
      within the old you, like peeling the skin off an avocado or breaking open a
      nut to find the Kernel!
      Before I gave up smoking I promised not to be one of those annoying people
      who went around telling people to give up smoking.
      I held off for twenty years but now I am so very pleased to be an ex smoker
      I can't resist the temptation to mouth off.

      Sorry about this, but when you break the habit of a lifetime you lose
      nothing, you let the whole world in. It goes a bit weird and wobbly for a
      while then steadies up to a new lighter state.
      Worked for me, anyway ;>)

      Next habit I have to break is telling people to give up smoking I suppose.

      Alan

      Anyway, the point is that

      On 17 March 2013 16:35, trenthillsmike <trenthillsca@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Thanks, Sumant. I don't eat packaged food. And my sugar intake is limited
      > and specific. Mostly in the jams and jellies that we make from fruit from
      > our garden. Honey in my tea and stevia in my coffee. The solution is me. :)
      >

      > Regards,
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > Mike you might like to see this little trailer of a documentary which is
      > supposed to be a solution to your problem.
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MvAM97VDE8
      >
      > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
      >
      > Warm regards,
      >
      > Sumant Joshi
      > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

    • trenthillsmike
      Message 112 of 112 , Jun 16, 2013
        Not only does it retain moisture but the mulch rots down into compost and improves fertility. I think that feeding the soil is a much better idea than feeding the plants. We've been adding plants that mine minerals (lambsquarter, pigweed, yarrow, stinging nettle, red clover, Dutch white clover, etc), attract pollinators all through the growing season, attract predatory insects, confuse pests. Our preference is for perennials or self-seeding annuals and biennials. And we've stopped mowing the orchard although I do selective scything to suppress plants that we don't want. We're very early in the process but we can see some results - https://picasaweb.google.com/PortagePerennials/HolisticOrchard#5888913239729330466

        Regards,
        Mike