Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Allan Savory: How to green the world's deserts and reverse climate change

  • Alan Sloan
    Message 1 of 112 , Mar 17, 2013
      Mike,

      One thing I discovered when I gave up smoking was to change a whole lot if different stuff about my life at the same time, I changed jobs, went in a residential course and started running. With all that gong on not smoking became a detail.

      You don't sound too worried about your weight and let's face it there are worse problems but get this- when I changed from the smoking habit to other things, my attitude to life changed and the world became really more fun to be in. I can only describe the mental feeling as sitting on the surface of a soap bubble, scary and exciting knowing it could burst any time. It was a real good move for me!

      People mention the move to Natural Farming changing their lives, and I imagine this is a similar exhilaration, but imagine if whole societies move over to NF rapidly, all that energy!

      Alan

      On 17 Mar 2013, at 10:45, "trenthillsmike" <trenthillsca@...> wrote:

      > Sumant,
      >
      > We never do anything until we are forced to even when we know that we should. We tend to reject the obvious and fit reality to what we want or don't want it to be. Often it's too late when we act. Re-framing your examples to the personal level, I'm overweight and I probably don't get enough exercise. I'll likely die of a heart attack with weight as the significant contributing factor. (I don't smoke, drink minimally, don't have work related stress or much stress of any sort, eat little packaged food, etc). So what have I done about my weight. Well, tomorrow................... ;)
      >
      > So it has been; so it is; so it will be.
      >
      > ............ until we possibly make ourselves extinct.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:
      >
      > Alan, since you have also mentioned Easter island. I sometimes wonder whether we are any better than other 'animals'. I mean the Easter islanders probably knew, at least some of the smart ones about the consequences of their actions and yet they continued destroying the very foundation of their society. The same goes for the Maya and other 'civilizations'. The only difference is that it is now happening on a global scale. Some of us are shouting and screaming that we are facing a disaster and yet the majority don't give a damn. There are many of my own friends who seem to be totally unaware of the reality and are merrily going about their lives as if ......
      >
      > So? lets us do what we can and hope for the best.
      >
      > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
      >
      > Warm regards,
      >
      > Sumant Joshi
      > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

    • trenthillsmike
      Message 112 of 112 , Jun 16, 2013
        Not only does it retain moisture but the mulch rots down into compost and improves fertility. I think that feeding the soil is a much better idea than feeding the plants. We've been adding plants that mine minerals (lambsquarter, pigweed, yarrow, stinging nettle, red clover, Dutch white clover, etc), attract pollinators all through the growing season, attract predatory insects, confuse pests. Our preference is for perennials or self-seeding annuals and biennials. And we've stopped mowing the orchard although I do selective scything to suppress plants that we don't want. We're very early in the process but we can see some results - https://picasaweb.google.com/PortagePerennials/HolisticOrchard#5888913239729330466

        Regards,
        Mike