Sesame on the road side and in my farm

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2013
      Hi,

      On this season I put some sesame seeds in one area where I stopped tilling. I had cultivated rice in this area and after that grass started growing so I cut and mulched the grass. Once I put the sesame and mulched with grass cutting and germination was very poor. I could see that the seedlings are very small and they can not lift even small amount of mulch. In the next try I kept aside the mulch and put the sesame seeds and raked slightly and lot of them germinated. But the plants are very weak and they started flowering at a height of probably 5 cms.

      Today while taking a walk on the roadside, I found a sesame plant which is much healthy and have many seeds on it.

      I am yet to grow the leguminous crops in the field for manuring, will be done before taking the next cycle of rice.But definitely some animal manuring looks to be required, like Fukuoka san used to put 400-900 lb per quarter acre.

      Regards,
      Nandan
    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2013
        Dear Nandan,
        Healthy plants due to undisturbed land.
        Thanks
        Raju

        On 3/11/13, Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > On this season I put some sesame seeds in one area where I stopped tilling.
        > I had cultivated rice in this area and after that grass started growing so I
        > cut and mulched the grass. Once I put the sesame and mulched with grass
        > cutting and germination was very poor. I could see that the seedlings are
        > very small and they can not lift even small amount of mulch. In the next try
        > I kept aside the mulch and put the sesame seeds and raked slightly and lot
        > of them germinated. But the plants are very weak and they started flowering
        > at a height of probably 5 cms.
        >
        > Today while taking a walk on the roadside, I found a sesame plant which is
        > much healthy and have many seeds on it.
        >
        > I am yet to grow the leguminous crops in the field for manuring, will be
        > done before taking the next cycle of rice.But definitely some animal
        > manuring looks to be required, like Fukuoka san used to put 400-900 lb per
        > quarter acre.
        >

        > Regards,
        > Nandan

        rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
        http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
      • Nishad S K
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2013
          Hi Nandan
          Are you doing conventional paddy cultivation apart from natural farming
          practises? If so which rice variety?

          Regards
          Dr S K Nishad MD(Internal Medicine)
          Assistant professor of medicine
          Sree Gokulam Medical College
          Venjaramoodu,Thiruvavanthapuram
          Kerala
          India

          Mobile 91 9895755690
          Home 91 470 2623488
          Office 91 472 3041234
          On Mar 11, 2013 7:43 PM, "Raju Titus" <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Dear Nandan,
          > Healthy plants due to undisturbed land.
          > Thanks
          > Raju
          >
          > On 3/11/13, Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > On this season I put some sesame seeds in one area where I stopped
          > tilling.
          > > I had cultivated rice in this area and after that grass started growing
          > so I
          > > cut and mulched the grass. Once I put the sesame and mulched with grass
          > > cutting and germination was very poor. I could see that the seedlings are
          > > very small and they can not lift even small amount of mulch. In the next
          > try
          > > I kept aside the mulch and put the sesame seeds and raked slightly and
          > lot
          > > of them germinated. But the plants are very weak and they started
          > flowering
          > > at a height of probably 5 cms.
          > >
          > > Today while taking a walk on the roadside, I found a sesame plant which
          > is
          > > much healthy and have many seeds on it.
          > >
          > > I am yet to grow the leguminous crops in the field for manuring, will be
          > > done before taking the next cycle of rice.But definitely some animal
          > > manuring looks to be required, like Fukuoka san used to put 400-900 lb
          > per
          > > quarter acre.
          > >

          > > Regards,
          > > Nandan
          > >

          > --
          > *Raju Titus.Natural farm.Hoshangabad. M.P. 461001.*
          > rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2013
            Hi Nishad,
            I am doing rice using natural farming method. Last time I used Vysakh (High Yielding upland variety), Chuvanna modan and kalladiaryan (both indigenous seeds). I was not successful, but got enough seeds for the next trial from Vysakh.
            In this season, I am planning to try Vysakh and Kattuyanam (Tamilnadu indigenous variety).
            Nice to see that doctors are also getting interested in natural farming.
            Regards,Nandan