Fw: [changepolitics] Fwd: [weact1325] An Appeal for a Humanitarian Ceasefire in Sabah [1 Attachment]

  • Jean Justimbaste
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2013
      Please sign this document and forward to your friends.  This is in support for PEACE IN SABAH.

      jean
      http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
      http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
      http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
      http://www.tcformoc.com/
      http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

      visit my blogs and leave your comments.

      Dear friends,

      Thank you very much for signing the joint Phil-Malaysian CSOs statement appealing  for dialogue and Humanitarian Ceasefire in Lahad Datu, Sabah as well as other affected areas in the standoff.

      We are again circulating the joint statement as we continue to collect more signatures  -- now already reaching to 100 from CSOs in Malaysia, Philippines, and all over the world! ( Please find joint statement and initial signatories below and attached).

      Our call remains urgent and relevant despite a barrage of pronouncements coming from the principals of late. Sultan Jamalul Kiram III proposed a unilateral ceasefire in response to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon call to end the violence. The gesture has been rejected by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak of Malaysia on the same day. At the same time, President Benigno S. Aquino III of the Philippines turned down Malaysian's proposal for Philippine government to find ways to extradite Kiram III and his followers.
      The joint statement will be submitted to the principals today.

      This statement also serves as an expression for Malaysian-Philippines civil society to come forward, with the support of the civil society across the globe, and plead on what matters most in this crisis situation : CIVILIAN PROTECTION for Sabahans and Filipinos living within the conflict hot spots.

      Kindly pass on to your networks and friends for support. Let's help save lives in Sabah!

      In solidarity,

      Initiatives for International Dialogue (IID), SUARAM -Malaysia
      Mindanao PeaceWeavers (MPW)

      JOINT STATEMENT OF MALAYSIAN-PHILIPPINE CSOs

      March 7, 2013

      Standoff in Lahad Datu: Engage in Dialogue Now with all stakeholders
      to resolve the crisis peacefully

      We the undersigned Civil Society organisations (CSOs) from Malaysia and Philippines are extremely concerned over the on-going standoff between the Malaysian security forces and followers of the Sultanate of Sulu’s heirs, Jamalul Kiram III at Lahad Datu, Sabah. We the CSOs, together with all individuals, organizations and networks, urgently call upon President Benigno S. Aquino III of the Philippines, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak of Malaysia and Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, to disavow all forms of violence, and instead supports dialogue as the primary mechanism for a resolution to the siege.

      We are very concerned and worried about the security of civilians in Lahad Datu, Semporna and the surrounding villages and we would like to see a peaceful solution to resolve this ongoing problem. According to media reports, at least sixty (60) people have been killed in Lahad Datu, Semporna and Kampung Tanduo, Sabah.

      We believe the situation in Lahad Datu requires swift and peaceful intervention. We urge all parties to resist from using force while remaining committed to dialogue and negotiation throughout this process.

      We are also very concerned with the lack of real-time information with respect to what has actually taken place so far in Lahad Datu. Up to this point the information received through the Malaysian news media lacked transparency and created unnecessary rumours and assumptions about the situation. The people has rights to get the information on on-going issues in Sabah.

      In this context, we call on the governments of Malaysia and Philippines and the Sultanate of Sulu to:

      * Immediately declare a HUMANITARIAN CEASEFIRE so that agencies concerned can take immediate measures to ensure the safety of women, children, elderly and other vulnerable persons in the affected area.  And provide “safe zones” where humanitarian organizations and relevant agencies can install facilities to be accessed by those who are injured and require immediate medical care;
      * Take immediate steps to end the use of violence and to engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to resolve the crisis peacefully.
      * Take proper measures to ensure that in the process of resolving the crisis, the human rights of everyone involved are respected and protected especially civilians from Lahad Datu, Semporna and nearby villages;
      * Take immediate measures to secure the safety of journalists who chose to access the area at all times to ensure fair reporting and dissemination of information to the general public;
      *  Cease and desist from using excessive force and armed violence to end the prevailing conflict;
      * Initiate an independent and impartial investigation into the killings that has taken place and make the findings of the investigation public.

      We fervently dissuade all the principals involved from brinkmanship by instead living up to your respective legacies as genuine leaders of your people with honor and dignity.

      We urge you to come to terms with the unfolding of events that has serious implications on many lives and social institutions.  We all can’t afford that this will escalate into a grave humanitarian crisis spilling over into other nearby villages aside from Lahad Datu and Semporna, Sabah.

      Time is of the essence.  The world is looking at you, now.

      Sgd.
      Civil Society of Malaysia and Philippines
      March 8, 2013

      Contacts details :

      Nalini Elumalai
      SUARAM
      Malaysia
      detention@...

      Gus Miclat, Jr
      Executive Director
      Initiatives for International Dialogue (IID)
      Mindanao PeaceWeavers (MPW)
      gnmiclat@.../+(6382) 2972574

      Please sign this joint statement to show your concern, support and commitment to resolve the issue in Sabah in a peaceful manner.

      Signatories:

      MALAYSIA

      Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM)
      Tenaganita
      Women's Centre for Change (WCC)
      JUMP
      ALIRAN (Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara)
      Malaysian Physicians for Social Responsibility
      Center for Orang Asli Concerns (COAC)
      Jaringan Rakyat Tertindas (JERIT)
      Justice for Sisters
      Seksualiti Merdeka
      Pusat KOMAS
      Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan (PERMAS)
      Community Action Network (CAN)
      Persatuan Sahabat wanita Selangor
      Community Development Centre (CDC)
      Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM)
      Malaysia Youth & Students Democratic Movement (DEMA)
      All Women's Action Society (AWAM)
      Persatuan Kesedaran Komuniti Selangor (EMPOWER)

      PHILIPPINES

      Mindanao PeaceWeavers (MPW)
      Initiatives for International Dialogue (IID)
      Philippine Center for Islam and Democracy (PCID)
      Free Burma Coalition – Philippines (FBCP)
      Active Citizenship Foundation (ACF)
      Agri-Aqua Development Coalition, Mindanao
      AGONG Peace Network, Mindanao
      Akbayan Citizens Action Party
      Alliance of Progressive Labor (APL)
      Alternate Forum for Research in Mindanao (AFRIM)
      Balay Mindanaw Foundation, Inc
      Banwaon One Tribe, One Territory, Mindanao
      Center for Peace Education – Miriam College
      Citizen’s Peace Watch
      Civil Peace Service Program – Southern Christian College
      Coalition of Social Development Organizations
      Coalition for the Development of Sibuguey – Western Mindanao
      Concerned Citizens of Abra for Good Governance
      Consortium of Bangsamoro Civil Society
      Council of Organized Social Service Agencies in Mindanao
      Derepa te Erumanen ne Menuvu, Mindanao
      Focus on the Global South -Philippines
      Gitib Inc., Mindanao
      GZO Peace Institute
      Human Rights Defenders-Pilipinas (HRDP)
      Institute for Comparative and Advanced Studies (ICAS Phils)
      Institute for Popular Democracy (IPD)
      Interreligious Solidarity Movement for Peace (IRSMP)
      IQRAA Islam Foundation
      KAGDUMA, Incorporated, Mindanao
      Kampanya para sa Makataong Pamumuhay (KAMP)
      Kebager te Ked-Inged, Mindanao
      Kahugpongan sa Mindanaw
      KAISA
      Khairul Bariyyah Youth Movement (KBYM)
      Landcare Foundation of the Philippines, Inc
      Lumad Mindanaw Peoples’ Federation
      Mindanao Peoples Peace Movement
      Mindanao Peace Advocates Conference
      Mindanao Coalition of Development NGO   Networks (MINCODE) Secretariat
      Mindanao Alliance of Self-Help Societies – Southern Phils Educational Cooperative Center
      Mindanao Congress of Development NGOs and NGIs –Mindanao
      Mindanao Indigenous People Women Development
      Mindanao Solidarity Network (MSN)
      Network for Transformative Social Protection
      Pambansang Kilusan ng mga Samahang Magsasaka  (PAKISAMA)
      Partnership of Philippine Support Services Agencies – Mindanao
      Pakigdait, Incorporated
      Paghiliusa sa Paghidaet – Negros (PsP-N)
      Partido Lakas ng Masa (PLM)
      Partido ng Manggagawa (PM)
      Pasaday Manobo Association (PAMAAS)
      Pax Christi Institute - Philippines
      Peace Advocates Zamboanga (PAZ)
      People’s Alternative Studies Center for Research & Education in Social Dev’t (PASCRES)
      People’s Global Exchange (PGX)
      Philippine Action Network to Control Arms
      Philippine Coalition for the International Criminal Court
      Philippine Human Rights Information Center (Philrights)
      Philippine Alliance of Human Rights Advocates (PAHRA)
      Philippine Business for Social Progress - Mindanao
      Philippine Partnership for the Devt of Human Resources in Rural Areas (PHILDHRRA)
      Pinay Kilos
      Rajah Buayan Cultural Institute (RBCI)
      Redemptorist Center for Social and Ecological Concerns - Mindanao
      SANLAKAS
      SANLAKAS-Youth
      Shariful Hashim  Cultural University (SHACUS)
      SOCSKSARGEN Sociological Society
      SPREAD – Oblates of Notre Dame
      Sulong CARHRIHL
      Task Force Detainees of the Philippines (TFDP)
      The Peacemakers’ Circle Foundation
      Women and Gender Institute
      Women Engaged in Action on 1325 (We Act 1325)
      Women’s Human Rights and Legal Bureau (WLB)
      World March of Women – Pilipinas
      Young Moro Professionals

      REGIONAL/GLOBAL

      Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict – Southeast Asia (SEA-GPPAC)
      Asia Pacific Solidarity Coalition (APSOC)
      ALTSEAN- Burma
      Asia-Pacific Movement on Debt & Development (JSAPMDD)
      Coalition Against Trafficking in Women-Asia Pacific (CATW-AP)
      International Peace Bureau (IPB)
      ISIS International
      Media Defense- Southeast Asia

      BANGLADESH
      Humanitywatch
      NABODHARA, Bangladesh

      BURMA/MYANMAR
      Generation Wave Institute

      CAMBODIA
      Housing Rights Task Force (HRTF)

      EAST TIMOR
      East Timor Students Solidarity Council (ETSSC)

      GERMANY
      Asienstiftung (German Asia Foundation)
      Philippinenbüro – Asienhaus

      INDIA
      Burma Centre Delhi

      NEPAL
      All Nepal Peasants Federation (ANPFa)
      All Nepal Women Association (ANWA)

      PAKISTAN
      Center For Peace & Civil Society (CPCS)

      INDIVIDUALS
      Prof. Anuradha Chenoy, University of India
      Prof. Kamal Mitra Chenoy, University of India
      Mr. Ramon Casiple, IPER, Philippines
      Ms. Sia Phearum, Director, HRTF Cambodia
      Mmk, Tggw, Myanmar

      LYNDEE A. PRIETO
      Initiatives for International Dialogue

      Mobile: 0917-7247579
      Phone: (+63 82) 2992574-75, Fax: (+63 82) 299-2052
      E-mail: lyndeeprieto@...,  lyndeeprieto@...
      www.iidnet.org, www.mindanaopeaceweavers.org

      IID is an advocacy and solidarity institution promoting peace, conflict prevention, democratization and the right to self-determination in Southeast Asia. Our focus areas include Mindanao, Timor Leste, West Papua, Aceh and South Thailand.

      --
      Karen N. Tanada

      Executive Director
      Gaston Z. Ortigas Peace Institute