Fukuoka-inspired farmer

  • troyiscrazy
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
      I am planning to visit the Philippines in either April or May. While there I want to visit a farmer who is either already successful or still working on Fukuoka-inspired (non?!)practices. And, I will visit a Permaculture farm.

      I know where to find the Permaculture farm, but still haven't located a Fukuoka-esque farmer.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks much,
      Troy Santos.
    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
        Hi Troy,
        I live in France but was born in Manila.
        My natural farming attempt is visible here in my backyard.
        Like you I wish to find a Fukuoka farm in the Philippines but I think
        Fukuoka farming is not practised there.
        However, if you wish to find hectares of rice planted in a near-Fukuoka
        style you could visit the Banawe and Bontoc rice terraces in the north of
        the country.
        Those terraces were cut eight centuries ago and are still being cultivated
        today.
        The same tribe has planted them ever since.
        As far as I know there is no mechanization or application of chemical
        fertilizers.
        If you are interested in permaculture farms I could try to give you an
        address or two.
        You could also google natural farming in the Philippines as taught by Andry
        Lim.
        Best regards,
        RUTHIE

        2013/2/14 troyiscrazy <troysantos@...>

        > **
        >

        > I am planning to visit the Philippines in either April or May. While there
        > I want to visit a farmer who is either already successful or still working
        > on Fukuoka-inspired (non?!)practices. And, I will visit a Permaculture
        > farm.
        >
        > I know where to find the Permaculture farm, but still haven't located a
        > Fukuoka-esque farmer.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks much,
        > Troy Santos.

      • troyiscrazy
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
          HIYA Ruthie!

          > Hi Troy,
          > I live in France but was born in Manila.
          A couple of years ago I was a little bit active in this group, but I read a lot of the posts, and I remember your name well.

          > My natural farming attempt is visible here in my backyard.
          :-)

          > Like you I wish to find a Fukuoka farm in the Philippines but I think Fukuoka farming is not practised there.
          Fukuoka visited the Philippines and so I suppose there are some who are doing it, even if only very few. I realize also, that it's not something that many people are *internally* prepared. So, who knows ....

          > However, if you wish to find hectares of rice planted in a near->Fukuoka style you could visit the Banawe and Bontoc rice terraces in >the north of the country.
          I lived in the Philippines from 1986 to 1988 but darn-it, I never traveled much, and didn't ever get to those terraces though I did see pictures and did know of them. Thanks for the nudge!

          > If you are interested in permaculture farms I could try to give you >an address or two.
          My friend and I are going to visit Aloha House in Palawan, another place I really wanted to go, and now it looks like I'll finally go. My friend chose this farm. I myself don't want to use animals in my future garden and orchard. So, that's what I'm interested in ... how others do Permaculture without depending on animals.

          > You could also google natural farming in the Philippines as taught >by Andry Lim.
          I posted this same post to another Yahoo group, I forget the name, but it might be "natural farming for Philippines". Andry responded to my post, and I responded to him.

          I'll let you know if I find any Fukuoka-inspired farmers in Pilipinas.

          Smile, :-)
          Troy Santos.
        • Ruthie Aquino
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
            Hi thanks Troy yes please let me know if you meet a Fukuoka farmer in the
            Philippines, even just one. I'm having difficulties finding them in France.
            In one farming group in the Philippines of which I am a member the top
            posters are landed and they have the means to invest in conventional farm
            inputs.
            The silent majority of poorer farmers who matter little to the bigger ones
            have an inferiority complex.
            As long as small-scale farming is considered a poor-man's way of life it
            will always be looked down upon.
            What would be needed are succesful professionals converting to Fukuoka
            farming.

            Tell us more about your interest in Fukuoka farming and how you got
            converted.
            Our Indian friends here have a easier affinity to the teachings of Fukuoka
            because of their culture, at least that is the conclusion I made on reading
            their posts in this group.
            Filipino culture is more Westernized and we do not consider ourselves
            succesful unless we have the latest computer or phone equipment and go to a
            fastfood joint when we feel like it. Believe it or not it is a shot I got
            from a member of a Filipino farming group. "What is the use of farming if
            you do not make a profit and be able to treat your kids at McDo?"

            All the best,
            RUTHIE

            2013/2/16 troyiscrazy <troysantos@...>

            > **
            >

            > HIYA Ruthie!
            >

            > > Hi Troy,
            > > I live in France but was born in Manila.
            > A couple of years ago I was a little bit active in this group, but I read
            > a lot of the posts, and I remember your name well.
            >
            > > My natural farming attempt is visible here in my backyard.
            > :-)
            >

            > > Like you I wish to find a Fukuoka farm in the Philippines but I think
            > Fukuoka farming is not practised there.
            > Fukuoka visited the Philippines and so I suppose there are some who are
            > doing it, even if only very few. I realize also, that it's not something
            > that many people are *internally* prepared. So, who knows ....
            >
            > > However, if you wish to find hectares of rice planted in a near->Fukuoka
            > style you could visit the Banawe and Bontoc rice terraces in >the north of
            > the country.
            > I lived in the Philippines from 1986 to 1988 but darn-it, I never traveled
            > much, and didn't ever get to those terraces though I did see pictures and
            > did know of them. Thanks for the nudge!
            >
            > > If you are interested in permaculture farms I could try to give you >an
            > address or two.
            > My friend and I are going to visit Aloha House in Palawan, another place I
            > really wanted to go, and now it looks like I'll finally go. My friend chose
            > this farm. I myself don't want to use animals in my future garden and
            > orchard. So, that's what I'm interested in ... how others do Permaculture
            > without depending on animals.
            >
            > > You could also google natural farming in the Philippines as taught >by
            > Andry Lim.
            > I posted this same post to another Yahoo group, I forget the name, but it
            > might be "natural farming for Philippines". Andry responded to my post, and
            > I responded to him.
            >
            > I'll let you know if I find any Fukuoka-inspired farmers in Pilipinas.
            >
            > Smile, :-)
            > Troy Santos.

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
              Ultimately small scale farmer should realize that a farmers life leads to ultimate realization, the inferiority complex in them should go..
              Government/society does not take care of poor farmers and we can not depend on that, so this state will remain as it is. So any small step showing real interest in farming and show that it is the ultimate life,will be the service we can do to them. When people from different professions come to farming, they will have realization, a different way to educate.
              Fukuoka san's words makes real sense - 'The ultimate aim of farming is not just growing of crops, but cultivation and perfection of human beings'.

              Regards,Nandan