Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Reforestation 2012-3

  • Jason Dunsmore
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2013
      On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM, KONSTANTINOS <karoubas@...> wrote:
      > This spring I plan on putting cactus pears and pads in the ground around the areas I reforested, and around the perimeter of my farm, for both food and as a fence - early indications are that cactus (Opuntia) is a good plant for both reforestation and food production - the pads are edible. As I understand it all you have to do is stick the pad in the ground and walk away - you are done - food production for humans and animals, fire barrier (does not burn) and fence - all to be had in a few minutes, and no cultivation afterwards. Sound good to me - worth a try.
      >
      > Does anyone has any experience in using cactus pads in this way - in mass planting?

      Actually, you only have to throw the cactus pad on the ground and it
      will take root. No need to dig. I've done this all around my
      property with nopal cactus and it works well.

      Regards,
      Jason
    • KONSTANTINOS
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 12, 2013
        Hello Jason
        Thank you for the info - its hard to believe its that easy - just take a pad on the ground and it will root ?
        Kostas

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Jason Dunsmore wrote:

        > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM, KONSTANTINOS wrote:
        > > This spring I plan on putting cactus pears and pads in the ground around the areas I reforested, and around the perimeter of my farm, for both food and as a fence - early indications are that cactus (Opuntia) is a good plant for both reforestation and food production - the pads are edible. As I understand it all you have to do is stick the pad in the ground and walk away - you are done - food production for humans and animals, fire barrier (does not burn) and fence - all to be had in a few minutes, and no cultivation afterwards. Sound good to me - worth a try.
        > >
        > > Does anyone has any experience in using cactus pads in this way - in mass planting?
        >
        > Actually, you only have to throw the cactus pad on the ground and it
        > will take root. No need to dig. I've done this all around my
        > property with nopal cactus and it works well.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Jason

      • Anant Joglekar
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
          https://www.google.co.in/search?q=draganfruit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bcrnk_timediscountc&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=serp&tok=P9fITlMWADfg75UOfi9CEw&pq=dragon%20fruit&cp=14&gs_id=4be&xhr=t&q=dragon+fruit+cultivation&es_nrs=true&pf=p&client=firefox-a&hs=09t&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&oq=dragon+fruit+c&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42261806,d.bmk&fp=7d19122e3e84b4fa&biw=1366&bih=567

          anant joglekar
          9423089706

          >________________________________

        • Tugrul Kinikoglu
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
            We have done this around our land where the soil quality is terrible and there is absolutely no watering (we are in SW Turkey with hot summers and no rain for six months). Amazingly they survive! I lay them flat on the ground trying to burry the bottom ends a little bit to help them some.
            We cooked one last week and it was very good. I read that it can also be fed to animals.

            Tugrul

            On 12 Şub 2013, at 21:06, "KONSTANTINOS" <karoubas@...> wrote:

            > Thank You for the kind words and good thoughts Jason - I am beginning to think that they help more than we realize or understand.
            >
            > I sowed my favorite most of all, because it was easy to buy the seeds/stones - ALMONDS.
            >
            > Lots of apricots were also sown, because I have plenty at the farm.
            > Also sown in smaller quantities were the plums, prunes, peaches, tangerines - it looks like fruit trees that have stones survive well.
            > I also tried hazelnuts at different elevations to see how they do.
            >
            > I am sure there will be losses, so I plan to go back to the same areas next year and the year after that and place more seeds.
            >
            > I hope next year to place 10,000 seeds, and each year, find ways to increase this number - we need millions/billions of trees to protect/cover the bare earth.
            >
            > This spring I plan on putting cactus pears and pads in the ground around the areas I reforested, and around the perimeter of my farm, for both food and as a fence - early indications are that cactus (Opuntia) is a good plant for both reforestation and food production - the pads are edible. As I understand it all you have to do is stick the pad in the ground and walk away - you are done - food production for humans and animals, fire barrier (does not burn) and fence - all to be had in a few minutes, and no cultivation afterwards. Sound good to me - worth a try.
            >
            > Does anyone has any experience in using cactus pads in this way - in mass planting?
            >
            > Kostas
            >

            > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" wrote:
            >>
            >> Dear Karoubas, Yay yay yay!
            >> Hoping and praying virtually all seedlings survive, don’t get terminally eaten, survive the harshest season of their first year, and establish really well.
            >>
            >> In the happiness of this news, i wonder what (many?) varieties you have sown?
            >>
            >> Jason Stewart
            >> Bama Country, Oz
            >>
            >> --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "KONSTANTINOS" wrote:
            >>>
            >>> Hello everyone,
            >>>
            >>> I have good "GREAT" news !!!
            >>> This fall I planted about 5,000 to 6,000 seeds in the ground, as we have previously discussed in this group - they were placed at 6 different locations - elevations ranging from 250 to 1100 meters. And locations from Northern to Southern Greece. Yesterday I went to examine a location in Northern Greece at 280 meters elevation - the winter has been mild with low to moderate rainfall in the area. I have enclosed pictures.

            >>> This morning I visited a 2nd site in Northern Greece, where a planted a lot of seeds - a few thousand - just like yesterday -very encouraging - the seeds/stones need two more weeks before they all sprout, but many have already sprouted - now that they are sprouting the threats to their survival include rabbits - we will see how many survive the spring into the summer. Today was a good day.
            >>>
            >>> Kostas

          • KONSTANTINOS
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
              Thank You for the reference - it looks very interesting - I will be looking into it - it looks like it has great potential.
              Kostas

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Anant Joglekar wrote:

              > https://www.google.co.in/search?q=draganfruit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bcrnk_timediscountc&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=serp&tok=P9fITlMWADfg75UOfi9CEw&pq=dragon%20fruit&cp=14&gs_id=4be&xhr=t&q=dragon+fruit+cultivation&es_nrs=true&pf=p&client=firefox-a&hs=09t&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&oq=dragon+fruit+c&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42261806,d.bmk&fp=7d19122e3e84b4fa&biw=1366&bih=567
              >
              > anant joglekar
              > 9423089706
              >
              > The ultimate goal of natural farming is not simply growing crops but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.  Masanobu Fukuoka
              >

              > >________________________________

            • KONSTANTINOS
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
                Hello Tugrul,
                Yes indeed - I know goats love the cactus pads - we have an old lady with about 7 goats in my village - everyday she takes her goats to an area that has a lot of cactus with big thorns - she rubs the pads on the ground to remove most of the thorns, then she uses the knife to cut the pads into pieces - the goats love it - they all gather excitedly for their treat - the goats look like children about to get chocolate.

                How did you cook the cactus ?

                How many months/years does it take cactus to grow big (many pads), without watering ?

                Kostas

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Tugrul Kinikoglu wrote:

                > We have done this around our land where the soil quality is terrible and there is absolutely no watering (we are in SW Turkey with hot summers and no rain for six months). Amazingly they survive! I lay them flat on the ground trying to burry the bottom ends a little bit to help them some.
                > We cooked one last week and it was very good. I read that it can also be fed to animals.
                >
                > Tugrul
                >
                > On 12 Şub 2013, at 21:06, "KONSTANTINOS" wrote:
                >

                > > Thank You for the kind words and good thoughts Jason - I am beginning to think that they help more than we realize or understand.
                > >
                > > I sowed my favorite most of all, because it was easy to buy the seeds/stones - ALMONDS.
                > >
                > > Lots of apricots were also sown, because I have plenty at the farm.
                > > Also sown in smaller quantities were the plums, prunes, peaches, tangerines - it looks like fruit trees that have stones survive well.
                > > I also tried hazelnuts at different elevations to see how they do.
                > >
                > > I am sure there will be losses, so I plan to go back to the same areas next year and the year after that and place more seeds.
                > >
                > > I hope next year to place 10,000 seeds, and each year, find ways to increase this number - we need millions/billions of trees to protect/cover the bare earth.
                > >
                > > This spring I plan on putting cactus pears and pads in the ground around the areas I reforested, and around the perimeter of my farm, for both food and as a fence - early indications are that cactus (Opuntia) is a good plant for both reforestation and food production - the pads are edible. As I understand it all you have to do is stick the pad in the ground and walk away - you are done - food production for humans and animals, fire barrier (does not burn) and fence - all to be had in a few minutes, and no cultivation afterwards. Sound good to me - worth a try.
                > >
                > > Does anyone has any experience in using cactus pads in this way - in mass planting?
                > >
                > > Kostas
                > >

                > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Dear Karoubas, Yay yay yay!
                > >> Hoping and praying virtually all seedlings survive, don’t get terminally eaten, survive the harshest season of their first year, and establish really well.
                > >>
                > >> In the happiness of this news, i wonder what (many?) varieties you have sown?
                > >>
                > >> Jason Stewart
                > >> Bama Country, Oz

              • Tugrul Kinikoglu
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
                  It's great that goats love it. Looks like we should plant more for our future goats!

                  We planted the first batch last year and the growth is very slow. Most produced one or two pads only. The best ones three or four. I assume that with the bigger root system, the growth will speed up. We planted another 50 or so this year in the past few weeks. It should have been done much eralier though, to make use of the fall and winter rains.

                  As far as cooking, we did some searching on the internet and found many mexican recipes. We simply sautee the small pieces of the pad after skining especially the places where thorns grow. Added a little bit of onion and some spices and finally cracked two eggs. It was very good.

                  While sauteing, it turns slimy for a while due to the sap. Continue browning it and it will go away.
                  Recipes recommend young pads. Ours was pretty mature, one of the pads we collected for planting. Still it was pretty good.

                  Tugrul

                  On 13 Şub 2013, at 13:32, "KONSTANTINOS" <karoubas@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Tugrul,
                  > Yes indeed - I know goats love the cactus pads - we have an old lady with about 7 goats in my village - everyday she takes her goats to an area that has a lot of cactus with big thorns - she rubs the pads on the ground to remove most of the thorns, then she uses the knife to cut the pads into pieces - the goats love it - they all gather excitedly for their treat - the goats look like children about to get chocolate.
                  >
                  > How did you cook the cactus ?
                  >
                  > How many months/years does it take cactus to grow big (many pads), without watering ?
                  >
                  > Kostas
                  >

                  > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Tugrul Kinikoglu wrote:
                  >>
                  >> We have done this around our land where the soil quality is terrible and there is absolutely no watering (we are in SW Turkey with hot summers and no rain for six months). Amazingly they survive! I lay them flat on the ground trying to burry the bottom ends a little bit to help them some.
                  >> We cooked one last week and it was very good. I read that it can also be fed to animals.
                  >>
                  >> Tugrul
                  >>
                  >> On 12 Åžub 2013, at 21:06, "KONSTANTINOS" wrote:
                  >>

                  >>> Thank You for the kind words and good thoughts Jason - I am beginning to think that they help more than we realize or understand.
                  >>>
                  >>> I sowed my favorite most of all, because it was easy to buy the seeds/stones - ALMONDS.
                  >>>
                  >>> Lots of apricots were also sown, because I have plenty at the farm.
                  >>> Also sown in smaller quantities were the plums, prunes, peaches, tangerines - it looks like fruit trees that have stones survive well.
                  >>> I also tried hazelnuts at different elevations to see how they do.
                  >>>
                  >>> I am sure there will be losses, so I plan to go back to the same areas next year and the year after that and place more seeds.
                  >>>
                  >>> I hope next year to place 10,000 seeds, and each year, find ways to increase this number - we need millions/billions of trees to protect/cover the bare earth.
                  >>>
                  >>> This spring I plan on putting cactus pears and pads in the ground around the areas I reforested, and around the perimeter of my farm, for both food and as a fence - early indications are that cactus (Opuntia) is a good plant for both reforestation and food production - the pads are edible. As I understand it all you have to do is stick the pad in the ground and walk away - you are done - food production for humans and animals, fire barrier (does not burn) and fence - all to be had in a few minutes, and no cultivation afterwards. Sound good to me - worth a try.
                  >>>
                  >>> Does anyone has any experience in using cactus pads in this way - in mass planting?
                  >>>
                  >>> Kostas

                • KONSTANTINOS
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
                    Sounds good - I will try "planting" a few hundred this spring - with different ways - to see the results, and to see what works best for my area - anant joglekar recommended Dragon Fruit (Pitaya), which may work out for our area - we should try to get a hold of it somehow.

                    I am very excited and optimistic about using the almonds and the other few trees as a ground cover for the barren areas around the Mediterranean. These trees, closely spaced will lower the surface temperature and improve the soil.

                  • Sumant Joshi
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
                      Great news indeed Kostas. hope the area is cattle proof.

                      Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

                      Warm regards,

                      Sumant Joshi
                      Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

                      >________________________________

                    • KONSTANTINOS
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
                        Yeah its cattle proof, especially in southern Greece - there is not enough vegetation for cattle to survive, so there are none - we do have problems with goats - unchecked these animals are incredible, they will destroy every bit of vegetation in sight.

                        Kostas

                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Sumant Joshi wrote:

                        > Great news indeed Kostas. hope the area is cattle proof.
                        >

                        > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
                        >

                        > Warm regards,
                        >
                        > Sumant Joshi
                        > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

                      • KONSTANTINOS
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
                          Hello Jason and all,
                          I just posted a foto - I found a cactus pad that I threw out 1 or 2 months ago - indeed it has roots as shown in the foto - life just got easier.
                          Kostas