Re: [fukuoka_farming] Rice this year!!

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
      All the best Sumant !!! Hope more and more people start the rice farming in Fukuoka way, so we can share the learning.

      Regards,Nandan

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
        Hi Sumantji/nandanji.

        Nice article and information. This question is to Sumantji about tree plantation. I am from coastal karnataka and started with teak, jack, cashew, coconut plants. Kindly suggest me few more plants. I have availability of water in plenty.

        Regards
        S k kamath

        To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        From: p_k_nandanan@...
        Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:43:21 -0800
        Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Rice this year!!

        From: Sumant Joshi sumant_jo@...>

        To: "fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com" fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
          Thanks Muthu. btw, any suggestions about whether I should use seedball or direct seeding? I have lots of field mice here. This is new land so I have no cover crop as of now. I do have some mulch though.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
            In my experience if you use seedballs, you need more moisture for the seeds to germinate, so there should be sufficient rain or watering, probably for 4-5 days??. Other option is to broadcast the seeds and slightly rake it so that they are under the soil. Also even if you mulch it, as Rajuji had suggested, make it light so that seeds can push through it. May be you want to use little more seed, so that on an average plant density will be sufficient. For a worst scenario, you can put some seeds in one place to raise a nursery and transplant it to places where there is less germination.
            Mostly what work in one climate/soil conditions may not work in different case, so listen for all the suggestions and finally go with your feeling.
            Regards,Nandan

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
              What is the general consensus? should I use seed balls or direct seeding is ok for rice?

              Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

              Warm regards,

              Sumant Joshi
              Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

              >________________________________

            • Anant Joglekar
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                Depending on the infrastructure you have you can try following methods simultaneously-

                Divide the rice growing area in 4 equal pieces

                In first piece use seed-balls
                In second piece use direct sowing
                In third piece use saplings as per traditional method
                In forth piece use sri method -
                https://www.google.co.in/search?q=sri+method+of+paddy+growing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

                anant joglekar
                9423089706

                >________________________________

              • Sumant Joshi
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                  Thank you Anant. I will try all in one go

                  Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

                  Warm regards,

                  Sumant Joshi
                  Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

                  >________________________________

                • Nandan Palaparambil
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                    Anant,
                    This will be a nice try. I am also planning to adopt a similar approach in my next cycle, to see the effectiveness of each one.

                    Regards,Nandan

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                      I was wondering why no advice was forthcoming on rice when I checked my spam mail and I found lots of group mail had landed there!! why? no idea

                      thank you everyone

                    • Sumant Joshi
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                        Thanks Nandan, I retrieved your mail from Spam!!

                        I don't have much to mulch  since it is new land which I have leveled recently. btw, has anyone tried planting rice on slopey ground? does it work?

                        I am worried about direct seeding since I have lots of mice on the land

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                          I think you should look for trees which are rare or going extinct from around your area. Try asking the forest department for help (they probably won't help you). There are a lot of organizations working for bio-diversity.