Re: [fukuoka_farming] Rice this year!!

  • Anant Joglekar
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 11, 2013
      Amen ! All the very best !! Shubham Bhawatu !!!

      anant joglekar
      9423089706

      >________________________________

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
        Hi Sumant,
        Hope all is well with you and by your enthusiasm I know it is so!
        You owe us some pictures, then.
        Best regards,
        RUTHIE

      • Sumant Joshi
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
          Yes Ruthie, the pictures will be uploaded soon. I am now getting into farming

          Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

          Warm regards,

          Sumant Joshi
          Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

          >________________________________

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
            All the best Sumant !!! Hope more and more people start the rice farming in Fukuoka way, so we can share the learning.

            Regards,Nandan

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013
              Hi Sumantji/nandanji.

              Nice article and information. This question is to Sumantji about tree plantation. I am from coastal karnataka and started with teak, jack, cashew, coconut plants. Kindly suggest me few more plants. I have availability of water in plenty.

              Regards
              S k kamath

              To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
              From: p_k_nandanan@...
              Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:43:21 -0800
              Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Rice this year!!

              From: Sumant Joshi sumant_jo@...>

              To: "fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com" fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
                Thanks Muthu. btw, any suggestions about whether I should use seedball or direct seeding? I have lots of field mice here. This is new land so I have no cover crop as of now. I do have some mulch though.

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
                  In my experience if you use seedballs, you need more moisture for the seeds to germinate, so there should be sufficient rain or watering, probably for 4-5 days??. Other option is to broadcast the seeds and slightly rake it so that they are under the soil. Also even if you mulch it, as Rajuji had suggested, make it light so that seeds can push through it. May be you want to use little more seed, so that on an average plant density will be sufficient. For a worst scenario, you can put some seeds in one place to raise a nursery and transplant it to places where there is less germination.
                  Mostly what work in one climate/soil conditions may not work in different case, so listen for all the suggestions and finally go with your feeling.
                  Regards,Nandan

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                    What is the general consensus? should I use seed balls or direct seeding is ok for rice?

                    Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

                    Warm regards,

                    Sumant Joshi
                    Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

                    >________________________________

                  • Anant Joglekar
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                      Depending on the infrastructure you have you can try following methods simultaneously-

                      Divide the rice growing area in 4 equal pieces

                      In first piece use seed-balls
                      In second piece use direct sowing
                      In third piece use saplings as per traditional method
                      In forth piece use sri method -
                      https://www.google.co.in/search?q=sri+method+of+paddy+growing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

                      anant joglekar
                      9423089706

                      >________________________________

                    • Sumant Joshi
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                        Thank you Anant. I will try all in one go

                        Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

                        Warm regards,

                        Sumant Joshi
                        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

                        >________________________________

                      • Nandan Palaparambil
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                          Anant,
                          This will be a nice try. I am also planning to adopt a similar approach in my next cycle, to see the effectiveness of each one.

                          Regards,Nandan

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                            I was wondering why no advice was forthcoming on rice when I checked my spam mail and I found lots of group mail had landed there!! why? no idea

                            thank you everyone

                          • Sumant Joshi
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                              Thanks Nandan, I retrieved your mail from Spam!!

                              I don't have much to mulch  since it is new land which I have leveled recently. btw, has anyone tried planting rice on slopey ground? does it work?

                              I am worried about direct seeding since I have lots of mice on the land

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                                I think you should look for trees which are rare or going extinct from around your area. Try asking the forest department for help (they probably won't help you). There are a lot of organizations working for bio-diversity.