Fw: Ohio Farmers, Educators Do More with Cover Crops and No-Till

  • Anant Joglekar
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 11 3:42 PM

> [...]

      >Rasawehr, Ohio State University Extension Educator James Hoorman and others are making a big difference in local watersheds also. Supported by a 2008 SARE grant, Hoorman studied the role of cover crops and no-till in protecting water quality. He found that a rye cover crop can tie up as much as 70 percent of the soluble N and 20 pounds per acre of the soluble P in a manure application.

      >This matters for the nearby Grand Lake St. Mary's, which supports a $160 million tourism industry that is in doubt because of algae blooms and hypoxia caused largely by nutrients leaving farms. Through extensive outreach, Hoorman helped boost the use of cover crops in local watersheds to 20,000 acres in 2011, including 9,300 acres in the Grand Lake St. Mary's watershed, or 21 percent of the watershed. This may be a reason why, in 2011, the lake's problem with toxic algae showed signs of diminishing, Hoorman says.

      >This only scratches the surface of the hundreds of research and on-farm demonstration projects SARE has supported on cover crops in the last 25 years. To discover more, and to find the practical tools and guides, visit SARE's Cover Crops Topic Room.
      >
      >About this series: The SARE Cover Crop Series highlights 25 years of SARE-supported research on cover crops. Tools and information are available on: selection and management; economics; establishment; rotations; soil and fertility management; water management; pest management; and no-till. Visit the Cover Crops Topic Room for more information.
      >

      >________________________________
      > Grants | Project Reports | Learning Center | Professional Development | State Programs
      >Events |Newsroom| About SARE| WebStore
      >________________________________
      >

      >Distributed by SARE Outreach for the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)program, which is funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture- National Institute of Food and Agriculture (USDA-NIFA). SARE's mission is to advance - to the whole of American agriculture - innovations that improve profitability, stewardship and quality of life by investing in groundbreaking research and education.
      >
      >SARE Outreach operates under cooperative agreements with the University of Maryland and the University of Vermont to develop and disseminate information about sustainable agriculture.
      >

      >Archives

      >Forward email
      >
      >This email was sent to apjoglekar@... by outreach@... |
      >Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
      >SARE| 1122 Patapsco Building| University of Maryland| College Park| MD| 20742-6715
      >anant joglekar
      >9423089706
      >
      >The ultimate goal of natural farming is not simply growing crops but the
      cultivation and perfection of human beings.  Masanobu Fukuoka

    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 11 9:25 PM
        This year I am planning to start off on rice on about 1 acre which I have levelled in the small valley. I am getting the seed from a local guy Mr Sanjay Patil, who has been collecting indigenous rice varieties. He has one variety which turn purple/ violet on cooking.

        Rest of the farm is going to be tree plantation, thanks to the drip system I have installed recently.

        So help me God!!

        Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

        Warm regards,

        Sumant Joshi
        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

      • Anant Joglekar
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 11 9:28 PM
          Amen ! All the very best !! Shubham Bhawatu !!!

          anant joglekar
          9423089706

          >________________________________

        • Ruthie Aquino
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12 2:21 AM
            Hi Sumant,
            Hope all is well with you and by your enthusiasm I know it is so!
            You owe us some pictures, then.
            Best regards,
            RUTHIE

          • Sumant Joshi
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 12 2:54 AM
              Yes Ruthie, the pictures will be uploaded soon. I am now getting into farming

              Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

              Warm regards,

              Sumant Joshi
              Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

              >________________________________

            • Nandan Palaparambil
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 12 7:43 AM
                All the best Sumant !!! Hope more and more people start the rice farming in Fukuoka way, so we can share the learning.

                Regards,Nandan

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 12 9:37 PM
                  Hi Sumantji/nandanji.

                  Nice article and information. This question is to Sumantji about tree plantation. I am from coastal karnataka and started with teak, jack, cashew, coconut plants. Kindly suggest me few more plants. I have availability of water in plenty.

                  Regards
                  S k kamath

                  To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                  From: p_k_nandanan@...
                  Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:43:21 -0800
                  Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Rice this year!!

                  From: Sumant Joshi sumant_jo@...>

                  To: "fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com" fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 13 2:52 AM
                    Thanks Muthu. btw, any suggestions about whether I should use seedball or direct seeding? I have lots of field mice here. This is new land so I have no cover crop as of now. I do have some mulch though.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 13 3:52 AM
                      In my experience if you use seedballs, you need more moisture for the seeds to germinate, so there should be sufficient rain or watering, probably for 4-5 days??. Other option is to broadcast the seeds and slightly rake it so that they are under the soil. Also even if you mulch it, as Rajuji had suggested, make it light so that seeds can push through it. May be you want to use little more seed, so that on an average plant density will be sufficient. For a worst scenario, you can put some seeds in one place to raise a nursery and transplant it to places where there is less germination.
                      Mostly what work in one climate/soil conditions may not work in different case, so listen for all the suggestions and finally go with your feeling.
                      Regards,Nandan

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 14 12:32 AM
                        What is the general consensus? should I use seed balls or direct seeding is ok for rice?

                        Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

                        Warm regards,

                        Sumant Joshi
                        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

                        >________________________________

                      • Anant Joglekar
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 14 1:37 AM
                          Depending on the infrastructure you have you can try following methods simultaneously-

                          Divide the rice growing area in 4 equal pieces

                          In first piece use seed-balls
                          In second piece use direct sowing
                          In third piece use saplings as per traditional method
                          In forth piece use sri method -
                          https://www.google.co.in/search?q=sri+method+of+paddy+growing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

                          anant joglekar
                          9423089706

                          >________________________________

                        • Sumant Joshi
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 14 3:52 AM
                            Thank you Anant. I will try all in one go

                            Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

                            Warm regards,

                            Sumant Joshi
                            Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

                            >________________________________

                          • Nandan Palaparambil
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 14 4:32 AM
                              Anant,
                              This will be a nice try. I am also planning to adopt a similar approach in my next cycle, to see the effectiveness of each one.

                              Regards,Nandan

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 14 6:03 AM
                                I was wondering why no advice was forthcoming on rice when I checked my spam mail and I found lots of group mail had landed there!! why? no idea

                                thank you everyone

                              • Sumant Joshi
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 14 6:09 AM
                                  Thanks Nandan, I retrieved your mail from Spam!!

                                  I don't have much to mulch  since it is new land which I have leveled recently. btw, has anyone tried planting rice on slopey ground? does it work?

                                  I am worried about direct seeding since I have lots of mice on the land

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 14 6:14 AM
                                    I think you should look for trees which are rare or going extinct from around your area. Try asking the forest department for help (they probably won't help you). There are a lot of organizations working for bio-diversity.