Re: [fukuoka_farming] Shallow tillage direct-seeding

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
      Dear Nandanji,
      You must be doing some mistake in mulching and scattering seeds. Mulch
      should be scatter in manner in that sun light, water or seeds go in
      side up to soil level. It should not be thick. This mulch hold
      moisture, air and allow many small insects to work in, which makes
      soil porous. Seeds germinates properly in the presence of moisture on
      the soil surface under the cover of mulch.

      If your mulch is thick not allowing seeds to go in, than make it
      little sparse so seeds and sun light go in. Germination with held due
      thick mulch and lack of moisture.
      Thanks
      Raju Titus

      rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
      http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
        True, Rajuji, if mulch is thick, germination will be bad. But what happened is this, with very thin mulch, the soil dried fast and moisture was not available for germination. Basic problem lies with my style of farming, where I visit the farm once in a week. If I was present locally, I could have irrigated once more after seeing this condition.
        But what worked for me was, I put the seeds and slightly raked the soil and they went inside and since moisture availability was good, germination was better. The tool I used for this raking was with many teeths, and I used the same tool to keep the mulch aside.
        What I liked about Fukuoka san's book was, almost these situations are foreseen or experienced by him and he has documented it. The suggestion is to go for shallow tillage first and then go for no-tilage. After couple of cycles, the organic content in the soil will be more and hence the water retaining capacity also.

        Regards,Nandan