Re: [fukuoka_farming] how to start natural farming

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
      Dear friend,
      Please send photos of your plots through photo section of this group
      than I will guide you how to start.
      Thanks
      Raju Titus

      On 2/10/13, Murat Tiryakioglu <geturkt@...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      > I just joined the mailer list. My name is Murat, I live in Istanbul /
      > Turkey. I've read "one straw revolution" book by Fukuoka san and I also
      > read other articles and watched videos about natural farming, permaculture
      > etc.
      >
      > They mostly explain benefits, theory and philosophy about natural farming
      > but fail to provide practical steps with regards to moving natural farming.
      > For example, I have two plots, one with olive trees and one with nothing on
      > it. I would like to start applying natural farming practices.
      >
      > Is there any reading that I could use to develop a strategy for this?
      >
      > kind regards
      > Murat

      rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
      http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
        Hi Murat,
        'Natural Way of farming' by Fukuoka gives more details on how to start an orchard, paddy field etc..
        In general, mulch with all available materials, grow different types of legumes which suits your climate, keep a ground cover of legumes and then plant which suits your local climate and also which thrives in your soil. For e.g banana grows well in lot of places surrounding my farm, but in some areas of farm is stony and banana does not grow that well, probably after some years once the land is improved it may be OK.
        Initially you can plant more varieties and select those which grows best for you. You can consult farmers around you for selecting the proper crops and timing of planting etc.
        All the best with natural farming..

        Regards,Nandan

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
          Dear Raju,
          Many thanks for kindly offering your help.
          I have uploaded photos of both plots to the group photo pages as you
          requested:

          The plot that I called empty land is 36.000 m2 or 36 ares. Usable area is
          around 33.000 m2. I have a deep weel that can be used for irrigation. It is
          steep hill facing south. I have planted 3 walnut seeds in 330 holes in the
          empty land a month ago (10m X 10m). I bought 125 kilos of clover seeds
          covered with rhizobium bacterias. I am planning to sow the seeds in March
          as cover crop. Since natural farming is against monoculture, my plan is to
          collect 100 different varieties that can grow in the region and sow their
          seeds in fall.

          My olive orchard has around 9.000 m2 with around 180 olive trees in it. It
          has been tilled by horse last year and provided goat
          manure.

          kind regards
          Murat

          On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Dear friend,
          > Please send photos of your plots through photo section of this group
          > than I will guide you how to start.
          > Thanks
          > Raju Titus
          >

          > On 2/10/13, Murat Tiryakioglu geturkt@...> wrote:
          > > Hi All,
          > > I just joined the mailer list. My name is Murat, I live in Istanbul /
          > > Turkey. I've read "one straw revolution" book by Fukuoka san and I also
          > > read other articles and watched videos about natural farming,
          > permaculture
          > > etc.
          > >
          > > They mostly explain benefits, theory and philosophy about natural farming
          > > but fail to provide practical steps with regards to moving natural
          > farming.
          > > For example, I have two plots, one with olive trees and one with nothing
          > on
          > > it. I would like to start applying natural farming practices.
          > >
          > > Is there any reading that I could use to develop a strategy for this?
          > >
          > > kind regards
          > > Murat

          > --
          > *Raju Titus.Natural farm.Hoshangabad. M.P. 461001.*
          > rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.

        • Raju Titus
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013
            Dear Murat,
            Thank you very much for photos. I saw and commented. Very good land
            and ready for natural farming. Zero tilling,seed ball scattering and
            protection is required.
            Thanks
            Raju

          • KONSTANTINOS
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
              Hello Murat and welcome.
              Nice photos - its a typical situation for our region. The land has been raped by plow and man - its almost dead, and its going to take some time to reverse the damage - Raju has good advice. Stop tilling - let the native grasses grow, and in the cover/shade of the grass plant vetch, alfalfa cow peas, mung beans and other cover crops to create organic matter and soil fertility as soon as possible. Closely spaced trees will help speed up the process - trees for the land not for you !!!

              Remember what Fukuoka - San said - you are there to serve the land - not be its master - its important to have a good basis for your relationship with the land - you are the SERVANT.
              Good Luck
              Kostas