Shallow tillage direct-seeding

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
      Hi All,

      The challenge now I am facing with rice/sesame/cow pea cultivation is the lack of uniform germination. I felt germination is better with tillage and as part of this was reading the book 'The Natural Way of Farming' once again to see the initial experiments of Fukuoka San. He has done lots of experiments before coming to the success and here is a section from the book.

      --------------------

      Shallow-tillage direct seeding: 22 pounds of each barley and rice seed may be sown together in the autumn and field raked. An alternative is to lightly till the field with a plow to a depth of 2 inches, then sow clover and barley seed and cover the the seed with rice straw. Or after shallow tilling, a planter may be used to plant seed individually or drill.Good results can be had in water-leak paddy fields by using this method first, and then later switching to no-tillage cultivation. Success in natural farming depends on how well shallow, evenly sown seeds germinate.

      -------------------

      The book clearly says uniform germination is the key and suggest to use 22 pounds (9.9Kg) of rice seeds per quarter acre, i.e - 39.6Kgs per acre which is a good quantity of seeds which will make sure, uniform germination. In conventional method locally they suggest to use 33Kgs per acre, while in transplanting using SRI method, just 3Kgs is used per acre, since only single rice plant is put in every 1 feet distance.

      In addition to this, book suggests to go for shallow tillage initially and later switching to no-tillage.

      I might have read through these information earlier or discussed the same thing earlier in the group. But till I really face the difficulties, it never got registered properly.

      Regards,
      Nandan
      http://farming-experiments.blogspot.in/
    • John Vijaya
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
        Hi Nandan,
        I feel that the soil should become mulched with all the older crop residue,
        which will make the soil loose and ready for broadcasting. this may take at
        least 2 years at least.

        --
        John Vijaya
        www.cfcindia.com

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
          Hi John,
          Nice to hear from you after a long time ...
          True, once there is sufficient mulch soil will become loose. But mulch on the soil, also will make it difficult for broadcasting unless it is completely decomposed by the time of broadcasting.
          Also as I mentioned earlier, even with mulch, the soil on the upper layer gets dry fast, but still there is moisture on the lower side and if we want to make use of this moisture, light tilling may be required. Strictly speaking, this can be avoided, if we broadcast the seeds before the harvest of the previous crop, but if you are starting fresh or there is a break in the cycle, then it can not be done.

          Regards,Nandan

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
            Dear Nandanji,
            You must be doing some mistake in mulching and scattering seeds. Mulch
            should be scatter in manner in that sun light, water or seeds go in
            side up to soil level. It should not be thick. This mulch hold
            moisture, air and allow many small insects to work in, which makes
            soil porous. Seeds germinates properly in the presence of moisture on
            the soil surface under the cover of mulch.

            If your mulch is thick not allowing seeds to go in, than make it
            little sparse so seeds and sun light go in. Germination with held due
            thick mulch and lack of moisture.
            Thanks
            Raju Titus

            rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
            http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
              True, Rajuji, if mulch is thick, germination will be bad. But what happened is this, with very thin mulch, the soil dried fast and moisture was not available for germination. Basic problem lies with my style of farming, where I visit the farm once in a week. If I was present locally, I could have irrigated once more after seeing this condition.
              But what worked for me was, I put the seeds and slightly raked the soil and they went inside and since moisture availability was good, germination was better. The tool I used for this raking was with many teeths, and I used the same tool to keep the mulch aside.
              What I liked about Fukuoka san's book was, almost these situations are foreseen or experienced by him and he has documented it. The suggestion is to go for shallow tillage first and then go for no-tilage. After couple of cycles, the organic content in the soil will be more and hence the water retaining capacity also.

              Regards,Nandan