Possible Ground cover :Sankhapushpi - Clitoris Ternatea

  • Yugandhar S
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
      We have these plants with lovely blue flowers growing on our terrace. We
      offer these flowers in worship and also this is a well known Ayurvedic
      medicinal plant. Though it is a creeper/climber, when there is no support
      it tends to grow somewhat like a bush. I observed that these plants shed
      small leaves which could work as mulch. It also shades the under area. I
      thought that this must be a nitrogen fixing plant and confirmed by looking
      at the roots. It grows with the least care. Just needs a little water now
      and then.

      Later I searched on wikipedia and found that this is also used to
      regenerate mined areas in australia.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitoria_ternatea

      Could someone try this in a small area to see if this makes a good ground
      cover crop? This is a useful plant with multiple benefits.

      I personally feel that this could be tried by some friends out there in a
      field/farm and check the results. It flowers a lot and produces nice pods
      with seeds. Easy to grow.

      Regards
      Yugandhar

    • Webmaster, FarmingFunda.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
        Do you have seeds of this plan Yugandhar?

        On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > We have these plants with lovely blue flowers growing on our terrace. We
        > offer these flowers in worship and also this is a well known Ayurvedic
        > medicinal plant. Though it is a creeper/climber, when there is no support
        > it tends to grow somewhat like a bush. I observed that these plants shed
        > small leaves which could work as mulch. It also shades the under area. I
        > thought that this must be a nitrogen fixing plant and confirmed by looking
        > at the roots. It grows with the least care. Just needs a little water now
        > and then.
        >
        > Later I searched on wikipedia and found that this is also used to
        > regenerate mined areas in australia.
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitoria_ternatea
        >
        > Could someone try this in a small area to see if this makes a good ground
        > cover crop? This is a useful plant with multiple benefits.
        >
        > I personally feel that this could be tried by some friends out there in a
        > field/farm and check the results. It flowers a lot and produces nice pods
        > with seeds. Easy to grow.
        >
        > Regards
        > Yugandhar

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
          Yugandhar,
          Heard of this plant and remember seeing its flowers, we call it Sankupushpam. I will look for this, should be locally available either seeds or can be grown from cuttings?

          Regards,Nandan

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
            Interesting suggestion Yugandhar. Never realised the "Shankhu" puvvu plants
            that we offer to Gods is also the famous Sankhapushpi!

            Also, the first 2 links on searching Google for "Clitoria ternatea cover
            crop" do suggest that it can be used as a cover crop and has legumious
            properties!

            This could work as a good cover crop for the farms, especially India where
            it seems to grow well and can add income through sale for use in Ayurvedic
            medicines.

            Regards,

            Pavan

            On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <
            p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Yugandhar,
            > Heard of this plant and remember seeing its flowers, we call it
            > Sankupushpam. I will look for this, should be locally available either
            > seeds or can be grown from cuttings?
            >
            > Regards,Nandan

            Pavan Sastry

            "Will and intellect are one and the same thing" - Baruch Spinoza