Banana grower uses cane waste to cut fertiliser use

  • Q Farm
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2013
      A Queensland banana grower says he's halved his fertilizer usage by recycling cane waste.

      Peter Inderbitzen, managing director of Swiss Farms in Lakeland, north of Cooktown, turns cane waste and chicken manure into about 1000 tonnes of compost every two weeks.

      He's using the compost to improve his banana plants and also spread on his broadacre cropping land.

      However, Mr Inderbitzen says although he's very pleased with his yields, compost isn't a cheap alternative to conventional fertilizers.

      "It's twice as dear as putting on fertilizer  The sustainability of making compost is very hard because the cost is double, so we've got to get around that."

      Ref : http://pakagri.blogspot.com/2013/01/banana-grower-uses-cane-waste-to-cut.html

      Queue
      Q-Farms and Assoc / Pakistan
      My Blog / My Twitter / My Facebook / My Google+ / My Linkedin / My Yahoo